Down v Armagh. June 4th

Started by tonto1888, May 13, 2017, 09:58:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Quote from: T Fearon on June 05, 2017, 04:15:38 PM
So Mc Geeney had no input yesterday,at half time etc,it was all down to John Toal,according to himself? Is this the way this will be spun,don't blame Kieran?

I said last week that this game didn't matter,neither team will have a long summer.That was proven yesterday.The Down delight was muted and more about winning a Championship fixture.Meanwhile I walked back into Newry City Centre after the game,with hordes of others,Down and Armagh fans and saw no evidence of unfettered joy from Down fans nor heard any moaning from Armagh fans.This is a long way from the halcyon days when a win in this fixture would have been celebrated like an All Ireland win or a defeat would have incited a riot in protest.Narrow Defeat in this fixture in 1991 cost Joe Kernan and Paddy Moriarity their jobs (and they had brought the team to the Ulster Final the previous year).Are both teams now that poor that people have given up?

No qualifier round in them days. There was a lot more at stake in every match when it was a straight knockout.

yellowcard

Sensational article from Benny Coulter calling Armagh a disgrace and saying that it was a 2 point hammering. I don't know what he was smoking but the reality was that there was very little between the 2 teams on Sunday. His hatred for Armagh shone through in that article and I think he has lost the run of himself. Described Mooney as the best half back in Ireland and 2 other Down defenders as the best in Ulster and basically called Armagh crap. 

general_lee

Quote from: yellowcard on June 07, 2017, 12:22:08 PM
Sensational article from Benny Coulter calling Armagh a disgrace and saying that it was a 2 point hammering. I don't know what he was smoking but the reality was that there was very little between the 2 teams on Sunday. His hatred for Armagh shone through in that article and I think he has lost the run of himself. Described Mooney as the best half back in Ireland and 2 other Down defenders as the best in Ulster and basically called Armagh crap.
He was pinting away on Sunday so was clearly airlocked writing his article

BennyCake

They were crap.

Down used the ball better, were more economical and had more of a clue what they were at. With 20 minutes to go, I knew Armagh weren't going to win as they had no ideas.

Armagh's 2 goals actually made it look a lot closer than it should have been. Down were superior by at least 5-6 points.

Smurfy123

Lads I'm afraid to burst your bubble but Armagh were crap

Down went into an early lead and Armagh had about 2 attacks in the first 15 minutes
2 goals in the space of 5 minutes made things look respectable

With 10 minutes gone in the second half the game was over

All the talk about Armagh have a division 1 forward line and a division 3 defence?
Who are these division 1 forwards?

Bit over the top with mooney thou

Mike Tyson

Link?

yellowcard

Quote from: Smurfy123 on June 07, 2017, 12:35:18 PM
Lads I'm afraid to burst your bubble but Armagh were crap

Down went into an early lead and Armagh had about 2 attacks in the first 15 minutes
2 goals in the space of 5 minutes made things look respectable

With 10 minutes gone in the second half the game was over

All the talk about Armagh have a division 1 forward line and a division 3 defence?
Who are these division 1 forwards?

Bit over the top with mooney thou

Armagh could have had 5 goals in the first half alone against a team with supposedly the best half back in Ireland and 2 of the best defenders in Ulster. The second half they had more possession than Down but admittedly were clueless in finding a way through the Down blanket defence. Down just repeatedly slowed them Down 60 metres from goal and broke quickly to pick off scores.  There is very little between the teams and to say otherwise is daft.

Smurfy123

Armagh were crap yellow Jesus just admit it
The game looked over after 50 minutes
The work rate of a lot of those Armagh players leaves a lot to be desired ?
Ex Armagh players are probably thinking the same
Do you really think the likes of Paul McGrane Francie Bellew McEntees and McConville would except that?
Those men were all winners but I'm afraid this Armagh team believed in all the hype surrounding them this past few weeks for whatever reason I do not know.

BennyCake

Quote from: Smurfy123 on June 07, 2017, 12:57:51 PM
Do you really think the likes of Paul McGrane Francie Bellew McEntees and McConville would except that?
Those men were all winners but I'm afraid this Armagh team believed in all the hype surrounding them this past few weeks for whatever reason I do not know.

You are spot on, and I admit it. We were crap. Can't say if Armagh players bought into their own hype, but the fans certainly did.

yellowcard

Quote from: Smurfy123 on June 07, 2017, 12:57:51 PM

Far too simplistic to say, Down good, Armagh crap. That's primary school analysis.

It was nothing to do with work rate. It was mostly decision making on the ball, losing possession too easily, lack of long range shooting and failure to take their chances in the first half that cost them. As for the hype, I'm not sure what hype exactly. Most rational Armagh people realise we are a division 3 team for a reason and are a long way off challenging for Ulster titles never mind anything else. If I was a Down fan I wouldn't be getting too carried away with beating a 'crap' Armagh team on Sunday.   

PAULD123

Quote from: yellowcard on June 07, 2017, 01:15:23 PM

Far too simplistic to say, Down good, Armagh crap. That's primary school analysis.

It was nothing to do with work rate. It was mostly decision making on the ball, losing possession too easily, lack of long range shooting and failure to take their chances in the first half that cost them. As for the hype, I'm not sure what hype exactly. Most rational Armagh people realise we are a division 3 team for a reason and are a long way off challenging for Ulster titles never mind anything else. If I was a Down fan I wouldn't be getting too carried away with beating a 'crap' Armagh team on Sunday.   

Wouldn't that be a good definition of being crap?????

Anyway it was two poor teams and for them it was their All-Ireland final because neither team is going very far in the real championship. Nice to have the win but I am under no illusion that it might be the the start of a brave new era.

stew

Quote from: PAULD123 on June 07, 2017, 03:10:44 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on June 07, 2017, 01:15:23 PM

Wouldn't that be a good definition of being crap?????

Anyway it was two poor teams and for them it was their All-Ireland final because neither team is going very far in the real championship. Nice to have the win but I am under no illusion that it might be the the start of a brave new era.

I was one who never saw us losing to Down, I thought that because we have the players to beat them, we do, what we do not have is a coach that allows them to play devoid of mistakes, these players were tight and seemed to get no enjoyment from the game, I have never seen any team from any county refuse to shoot in front of goal more than we did on Sunday last, it was infuriating and disgraceful, Geezer needs to move on and McEntee, John McEntee should be offered a three year deal to right the ship and get us contending for a place in Division 1 football and challenging for an Ulster title, we have the players, we just need the coach and geezer is most assuredly not the man to get the job done sadly.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

elk

Down have a poor defence,in particular 2 & 3.

brokencrossbar1

Here's a novel idea...both teams are shite...one just slightly less white than the other?

BennyCake

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on June 07, 2017, 03:50:55 PM
Here's a novel idea...both teams are shite...one just slightly less white than the other?

Isn't that racist?  ;)

How about all county teams are shite. Dublin are just less shite than everyone else.