Down v Armagh. June 4th

Started by tonto1888, May 13, 2017, 09:58:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

Quote from: Smurfy123 on June 05, 2017, 02:01:00 PM
A great day for Down GAA
What a fantastic performance from both Down teams
Credit to the full management team and players
Can I ask the Armagh posters why do use rate Campbell so highly?
An average player who would struggle to get on the Down team.
As for Folker what does he actually do?
I've seen him play a few times now and yet he has been very poor

Workmanlike and more efficient than Armagh, but fantastic? Come off it.

T Fearon

So Mc Geeney had no input yesterday,at half time etc,it was all down to John Toal,according to himself? Is this the way this will be spun,don't blame Kieran?

I said last week that this game didn't matter,neither team will have a long summer.That was proven yesterday.The Down delight was muted and more about winning a Championship fixture.Meanwhile I walked back into Newry City Centre after the game,with hordes of others,Down and Armagh fans and saw no evidence of unfettered joy from Down fans nor heard any moaning from Armagh fans.This is a long way from the halcyon days when a win in this fixture would have been celebrated like an All Ireland win or a defeat would have incited a riot in protest.Narrow Defeat in this fixture in 1991 cost Joe Kernan and Paddy Moriarity their jobs (and they had brought the team to the Ulster Final the previous year).Are both teams now that poor that people have given up?

the goal was on

Must have been a takeaway he was ordering when he was pictured on the phone yesterday during the game. Funny slector on sideline was pictured on phone seconds later. Maybe he was hungry as well!

armaghniac

Quote from: T Fearon on June 05, 2017, 04:15:38 PM
So Mc Geeney had no input yesterday,at half time etc,it was all down to John Toal,according to himself? Is this the way this will be spun,don't blame Kieran?

I said last week that this game didn't matter,neither team will have a long summer.That was proven yesterday.The Down delight was muted and more about winning a Championship fixture.Meanwhile I walked back into Newry City Centre after the game,with hordes of others,Down and Armagh fans and saw no evidence of unfettered joy from Down fans nor heard any moaning from Armagh fans.This is a long way from the halcyon days when a win in this fixture would have been celebrated like an All Ireland win or a defeat would have incited a riot in protest.Narrow Defeat in this fixture in 1991 cost Joe Kernan and Paddy Moriarity their jobs (and they had brought the team to the Ulster Final the previous year).Are both teams now that poor that people have given up?

There is a lot of truth in this, the atmosphere was strangely muted. As noted earlier, previous League and even McKenna Cup games had more agitated crowds.

Quite apart from the second half, when Down parked the bus and defended in a disciplined way, this game was lost in the first 15 minutes when Armagh let Down off to a lead and failed to do anything.

Down are not great, but they have progressed none the less. Not much evidence of progress in Armagh.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Applesisapples

Quote from: armaghniac on June 05, 2017, 04:26:35 PM

There is a lot of truth in this, the atmosphere was strangely muted. As noted earlier, previous League and even McKenna Cup games had more agitated crowds.

Quite apart from the second half, when Down parked the bus and defended in a disciplined way, this game was lost in the first 15 minutes when Armagh let Down off to a lead and failed to do anything.

Down are not great, but they have progressed none the less. Not much evidence of progress in Armagh.
That's a fair summation.

Il Bomber Destro

Really enjoyed the game yesterday.

Down have been at a low ebb the past few years but I think you have to give tremendous credit to Eamon Burns for the way he was stuck in there and brought some spirit and pride to that Down side. Tactically they looked very good yesterday, defended very well in the second half and they looked really fit and well drilled. Also great to see Caolan Mooney put in a great game.

Plenty of talent in that Armagh side and it is quite a youngish team. I really thought they were lacking in midfield, are Rafferty and Findon injured or just going very badly at the minute. Four or five years ago I would have thought Rafferty would have been one of the best midfielders in the country right now but he hasn't seemed to do anything in the past few years. Doesn't look good for McGeeney at the minute but I still think there's enough talent there for them to click and kick on but you'd imagine he'll need something this year.

tonto1888

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 05, 2017, 05:30:57 PM
Really enjoyed the game yesterday.

Down have been at a low ebb the past few years but I think you have to give tremendous credit to Eamon Burns for the way he was stuck in there and brought some spirit and pride to that Down side. Tactically they looked very good yesterday, defended very well in the second half and they looked really fit and well drilled. Also great to see Caolan Mooney put in a great game.

Plenty of talent in that Armagh side and it is quite a youngish team. I really thought they were lacking in midfield, are Rafferty and Findon injured or just going very badly at the minute. Four or five years ago I would have thought Rafferty would have been one of the best midfielders in the country right now but he hasn't seemed to do anything in the past few years. Doesn't look good for McGeeney at the minute but I still think there's enough talent there for them to click and kick on but you'd imagine he'll need something this year.

I don't think Rafferty I'd got enough at the moment. He is carrying an injury. Could be wrong on that though

Dougal Maguire

Couldn'd disagree with any of that. There was no atmosphere at the match and even the row at the end didn't ignite any passion on the terraces , more bemusement in my opinion.  I think both sets of fans knew that the result would only judge who  was the worst of 2 bad teams. McGeeney must have to look at himself and if he decides to stay he has some neck on him. I've heard the figure of £80,000 mentioned a few times and if it's true then it's shocking. Means that by the end of this year he'll have earned just short of a quarter of a million quid, for what. We have good players who have been ruined by him. I'm told he stood back in the Carrickdale on Sunday night and let the players tear into each other. If that's the case where does leadership come into it.  He then, allegedly, at the end of the evening, snuck out a back door. If that's true it says a lot.
Careful now

seafoid

The Black Eyed peas are very concerned about the Armagh situation and have released a new song called where is the tactics

What's wrong with the world mama
People playing  like Championship aint got no Armagh
I think the whole world's addicted to the Geezer drama
Only attracted to the things that'll bring the trauma
Over the bar , yeah, we tryin' to stop them scoring
But we still got ineptitude here livin'
Despite in Armagh the big Grimleys
The Mc Convilles , and the McEntees and the Cross
But if you only have love for you own ego
Then you only leave space to play indiscriminately
And  indiscriminate only generates wides
And when you get wides then you're bound to get irate
Madness is what you demonstrate
And that's exactly how this angle works and operates
Man, you got to have tactics just to set it straight
Take control of your mind and meditate
Let your soul gravitate to the ball y'all
meaning

Down are playing   Down are flying
Armagh kid fans hurt and you hear them crying
Can you practice what you preach
Or can you just practice ?
Father father father help us
Send some guidance from above
These people got me, got me questioning
Where is the tactics
Where is the ball
Where is the self respect 
Where is the Laois   the Laois  , the Laois 

It just ain't the same
All ways of change
New days are strange
Is the world insane
If armagh's preparation  is so strong
Why are there balls into the forwards that don't belong
Backs dropping balls
Haven't won in Ulster for an age
With ongoing ineptitude as the youth get disillusioned
So ask yourself is the winnin really gone
So I can ask myself really what is going wrong
In this world that we live in
People keep on losing to Laois
Making wrong decisions only visions of the dividend
Not able to get outta division 3 
Deny the poor forwards ball
A war's going on, but the reasons undercover
The truth is kept secret
It's swept under the rug
If you never know truth then you never know tactics
Where's the tactics y'all, c'mon, I don't know
Where's the tactics y'all, c'mon, I don't know
Where's the ball y'all

Down are playing , Down are flying
Fans are hurt and you hear them crying
Can you practice what you preach
Or would you just get some tactics
Father father father help us
Send some guidance from above
These people got me, got me questioning
Where is the tactics
Where is the ball
Where is the insight
Where is the Laois ?

I feel the weight of the world on my shoulder
As he's getting' older
Fearon gets colder
Only caring about competition winnin '
Selfishness got people following the wrong direction
Wrong information always shown by the media
Negative images is the TSG main criteria
Infecting the young minds faster than bacteria, dhera
Kids want to act like what they see the Dubs doin
Yo
Whatever happened to the values of Apple munching ?
Whatever happened to the sportmanship quality
Instead of spreading football
We spreading animosity
Lack of understanding
Leading us away from unity
That's the reason why sometimes I'm feelin' under
That's the reason why sometimes I'm feelin' down
It's no wonder why sometimes I'm feelin' under
Got to keep my faith alive 'til a tactically capable manager is found
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

armaghniac

"Got to keep my faith alive 'til a tactically capable manager is found"

Well you ain't Bob Dylan.

illdecide

Seafoid you clearly have a facination for Armagh and K McGeeney, move on it's getting boring ::)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

yellowcard

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on June 05, 2017, 06:16:26 PM

Couldn'd disagree with any of that. There was no atmosphere at the match and even the row at the end didn't ignite any passion on the terraces , more bemusement in my opinion.  I think both sets of fans knew that the result would only judge who  was the worst of 2 bad teams. McGeeney must have to look at himself and if he decides to stay he has some neck on him. I've heard the figure of £80,000 mentioned a few times and if it's true then it's shocking. Means that by the end of this year he'll have earned just short of a quarter of a million quid, for what. We have good players who have been ruined by him. I'm told he stood back in the Carrickdale on Sunday night and let the players tear into each other. If that's the case where does leadership come into it.  He then, allegedly, at the end of the evening, snuck out a back door. If that's true it says a lot.

You can criticise his championship record and that's fair game. However pulling out a story about him letting players get stuck into each other after the match, that's just looking an excuse to have a pop at geezer.

BennyCake

Seafoid, you've obviously got too much time on your hands.

T Fearon

Remember when Armagh supporters used to get really upset by losing All Ireland semi finals against Meath and Kerry after a replay?

armaghniac

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on June 05, 2017, 06:16:26 PM

I wonder where was the present Armagh management when the two Brians were deemed inadequate?