Down v Armagh. June 4th

Started by tonto1888, May 13, 2017, 09:58:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armamike

I haven't seen much evidence of gym work either!  There's a lack of physicality with this Armagh team, which is a bit surprising given the man in charge.  Our forwards have shown for a few years now that they don't have the guile, shooting ability or physical power to deal with blanket defending. To what degree that's down to the players or manager i don't know.  A bit of both i suppose.  Regardless of tactics, preparation or anything else the manager can bring to the table, it would be refreshing to see one or two of the players show a bit of individual good play by popping the odd one over from 35 or 40 yards or putting in a decent tackle or two. Sometimes that's all that's needed to lift the players and supporters.

Kieran's had 3 years in charge now without a win in Ulster.  I don't remember another Armagh manager in the past 40 years who stayed on a fourth year with that record (could be wrong). A great player and leader for Armagh but i think if he stays on this could be a death by a 1000 cuts. 
That's just, like your opinion man.

Orior

Quote from: T Fearon on June 04, 2017, 11:22:27 PM
Bit surreal today.Full house,but little passion from the stands.Far more in evidence in a couple of Saturday night league games between Armagh and Down in Newry six or seven years ago.Even the Down fans cheers at the end today were muted,and more akin to relief in having won a Championship game.

The 2002 squad's hands are all over the Minor and Senior team yet no progress is being made.

Looks like both sets of supporters have accepted the future is bleak.

Who had the most fans?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

balladmaker

QuoteThere was a lot a talk about Armagh being high scorers. I think today showed that there is a big difference between division three defence and a division two defence (even a bad one).

Armagh scored highly in a couple of freak games in Division 3.  Against Antrim, when Antrim deployed the blanket defence, it was clear to all in attendance that this Armagh team just can't get through the blanket defence, and that was shown again yesterday.  No doubt that Armagh have some good forwards, but in the modern game, good forwards are more easily kept quiet unfortunately.

The only thing that can save Kieran McGeeney now is a good run for Armagh in the Qualifiers, maybe a quarter final spot might save him, but that looks a long way off going by yesterday.

naka

Quote from: balladmaker on June 05, 2017, 10:58:04 AM
QuoteThere was a lot a talk about Armagh being high scorers. I think today showed that there is a big difference between division three defence and a division two defence (even a bad one).

Armagh scored highly in a couple of freak games in Division 3.  Against Antrim, when Antrim deployed the blanket defence, it was clear to all in attendance that this Armagh team just can't get through the blanket defence, and that was shown again yesterday.  No doubt that Armagh have some good forwards, but in the modern game, good forwards are more easily kept quiet unfortunately.

The only thing that can save Kieran McGeeney now is a good run for Armagh in the Qualifiers, maybe a quarter final spot might save him, but that looks a long way off going by yesterday.

balladmaker
think to most of us Mc Geeney is a dead man walking, the term has run its course
no championship wins in 3 years
one relegation
haven`t beaten Laois in 5 attempts( they are now a division 4 side)
putting it simply the past 3 years have seen no upward graph nor seeds of optimism,
yesterday was awful watching us naively run into traffic.

Down Follower

I thought Down had a number of good long range scores, O'Hanlon a couple of times, Mooney, O'Hagan are ones that come to light. Armagh were more like the Down team of a few years ago of Coulter et all, looked wild dangerous in the first half and sniffed goals all the time but when the space was closed down in the second half they looked ordinary to poor.
Big plus from Down was the performance of our midfield and also what finally appeared to be a genuine kickout plan. Didnt work all the time but it is definitely progress.

Il Bomber Destro

Looked like a really bad injury to the Down midfielder.

mackers

Quote from: balladmaker on June 05, 2017, 10:58:04 AM

I'd agree with all of this.  The Antrim game was an omen but it was an opportunity to learn from and we obviously didn't do it.  Our forwards have been excellent when given space but struggle against blanket defences.  There was no high ball into Murnin in the second half, no off the shoulder running at pace and no use of the wings which all should have been tried at different times.  We constantly took the ball into the middle of the defence and we were constantly turned over.  Jamie Clarke was the chief culprit.  Jamie, in fairness, was trying to lead and make things happen but he doesn't have the physical strength to break a tackle.

We had a few players who performed well.  Paul Hughes had a good game,  James Morgan also.  Stephen Sheridan and Aaron McKay had notable performances.  Our main players, however, had poor games. Rory Grugan, Soupy and Jamie had poor games.

McGeeney's future in the post has to be reviewed at the end of the year.  Whilst the type of football that we have attempted to play in the league has improved and he did give the younger players a chance yesterday, progress in league and championship is the real indicator and he is not delivering in either.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Applesisapples

I don't know about gym work, but Campbell, a good player and Forker an average player are carrying to much weight for County players. Charlie Vernon was taken off too soon and the afore mention duo not soon enough. Why can't players just kick the ball straight between the sticks rather than try to shape it with outside or inside of the boot?

general_lee

Annoying to lose a game that could have so easily been won, despite being inferior for much of the game and some pathetic decision making. Not too be too harsh on Hughes the keeper, he cost us at least one point but he's inexperienced and had nothing to hit out the field, think the 6 backs actually done rightly. Midlfield we were second best  and the forward line had a day to forget. Downs half back line scored 6 points (4 from play) so you have to question what our half forwards were doing? Why proper ball wasn't played in to murnin? Why changes weren't made at mf? Why did we insist on slowly moving the ball out from defence up to their half before ateing the shite out of it before losing it through a turnover or overcarrying?

Maroon Manc

Was it my imagination or did the wind pick up considerably in the 2nd half?

armaghniac

Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 05, 2017, 01:08:59 PM
Was it my imagination or did the wind pick up considerably in the 2nd half?

The wind was strongest in the first part of the second half. It had died down a lot by the end of the game, which makes it all the worse that Armagh could not get a shot or two in near the end.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Smurfy123

A great day for Down GAA
What a fantastic performance from both Down teams
Credit to the full management team and players
Can I ask the Armagh posters why do use rate Campbell so highly?
An average player who would struggle to get on the Down team.
As for Folker what does he actually do?
I've seen him play a few times now and yet he has been very poor

general_lee

Quote from: Smurfy123 on June 05, 2017, 02:01:00 PM
A great day for Down GAA
Campbell was anonymous. Think he top scored in the league ? so he can't be that bad. He might have been carrying a knock apparently wasn't fully fit in the lead up to the game, but certainly would have expected more from him. Forker scored a point, but was otherwise poor, not athletic enough imo

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Smurfy123 on June 05, 2017, 02:01:00 PM
A great day for Down GAA

He did nothing, wasn't even included in the squad.

Ethan Tremblay

Campbell has been very inconsistent this year for Armagh, capable of getting good scores and winning good ball but not able to replicate this recently and didn't look at all in shape for yesterday. 
Question marks surround Forker for me, real tenacious hard working player but discipline issues and a lack of confidence has seen him stutter this year.  I would have had 2/3 players on a lot sooner for these two.   

Not to dampen the Down followers mood but a reality check is severely needed here.  Armagh only scored 3 times in the second half, including a 20 yard free, and Down only won by 2 points.  When they come up against most likely Monaghan, they will have some genuine ball players to contain.   
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...