Down v Armagh. June 4th

Started by tonto1888, May 13, 2017, 09:58:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonto1888

Quote from: T Fearon on June 04, 2017, 05:18:17 PM
When you don't have one player playing up to scratch it is bad.I have never seen worse performances from Vernon,Campbell and Grugan,all of whom were substituted.

I thought Campbell was on the whole game? Agree he was awful

BennyCake

Quote from: T Fearon on June 04, 2017, 05:05:13 PM
The worst Armagh performance in the Ulster Championship since Derry in 1995 and even that was against recent All Ireland Champions.Armagh had not one single player today and the standard from both teams was atrocious.The Down cheer at the end was muted,one of relief more than anything else and they will not get within 10 points of Monaghan.

Meanwhile Armagh must be the worst team in Ulster,at least Antrim,Fermanagh and Derry were competitive for one half each against much superior opposition.

Donegal 2015 was worse. At least they played for 10 mins today.

T Fearon

Campbell and Murnin both substituted in injury time as the manager pinned his hopes on 34 year old Ciaran Mc Keever snaffling a goal😱. I will not be undertaking any long journey at any substantial expense to attend the qualifier.

Taylor

How Campbell wasn't taken off earlier is a mystery. Was anonymous and then I thought he was lazy at best or yellow at worst when going for a ball in 2nd half.
Clarke didn't hide and did try but his marker was v good.

That young Murnin lad looked the part when the ball went in to him. Has he played much as haven't heard much about him before?

Monaghan will beat that Down team out the gate. 7th & 8th best teams in Ulster playing today and it showed in the game

Avondhu star

Quote from: Aaron Boone on June 04, 2017, 04:25:29 PM
Loads for McGeeney to work on, but he rises to challenges in his managerial career.
Manageriql career??? FFS what are you talking about? Any provincial or national titles?
Well able to collect the cheque.
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

seafoid

Armagh need someone like Wes Hoolahan. Or Ger Houlihan.

The Trap

Why all the talk of Armagh miss d chances? I thought Down won with a bit to spare. Kept Armagh at arms length in second half and it was only when seeing Armagh playing against the wind that you realised how good a first half it had been for Down. Delighted for Eamon BUrns. Cavan could take Monaghan and that would set up an even xciting semi final.

T Fearon

The mark of a good manager is to have his team ready for the big games,with the players prepared and delivering,which no one did today.The failure to get out of the third division was inexcusable.

Avondhu star

Quote from: T Fearon on June 04, 2017, 06:17:01 PM
The mark of a good manager is to have his team ready for the big games,with the players prepared and delivering,which no one did today.The failure to get out of the third division was inexcusable.
Anyone who follows the Armagh club scene can list 30 players ( many on todays panel) that are the match for their opponents in Div 2 and many Div 1 teams. Resouces and facilities is not the problem.
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Captain Obvious

Quote from: The Trap on June 04, 2017, 06:11:07 PM
Why all the talk of Armagh miss d chances? I thought Down won with a bit to spare. Kept Armagh at arms length in second half and it was only when seeing Armagh playing against the wind that you realised how good a first half it had been for Down. Delighted for Eamon BUrns. Cavan could take Monaghan and that would set up an even xciting semi final.
Winning by two points isn't by a bit to spare. If Cavan are good enough to beat Monaghan they will also be too good for Down. Best hope for Down is that Monaghan win by a bit to spare against Cavan and then go into the semi final complacent.

sam03/05

What happened to the best forward line in Gaelic Football.?  (As we were told by Oisin and Stevie) during the week. They were unstoppable we were told, all three would get on any team in Ireland, Jamie the great was back! If Tyrone had them they would win the All Ireland we were told by Stevie!
They might look good playing in Div 3 - but my god talk about hype about nothing!

Owen Brannigan

Who were on the line for Armagh today?

tonto1888

Quote from: sam03/05 on June 04, 2017, 06:28:11 PM
What happened to the best forward line in Gaelic Football.?  (As we were told by Oisin and Stevie) during the week. They were unstoppable we were told, all three would get on any team in Ireland, Jamie the great was back! If Tyrone had them they would win the All Ireland we were told by Stevie!
They might look good playing in Div 3 - but my god talk about hype about nothing!

Did you watch the game

balladmaker

Worst Armagh performance in at least 20 years, shocking choice of shooting, going for goals with 15 minutes to go, when an easy tap over was available to them.  If they'd taken their points, they'd have been at least level going into injury time.  But they weren't worth the win or anywhere near to it.  Murnin showed up well, took his goal, almost had a second, but is it just me or does he have a tendancy to fumble alot of ball.  Great ball winner no doubt, but sometimes drops it needlessly.  Saying that, he was the best Armagh had to offer today by far.

As for Down, deserved winners but they'll need a massive improvement to bother Monaghan or Cavan, but I wish them all the best.  My Dad was a proud Down man, and this was the first time since his passing that Down have played Armagh.  I found today's game poignant on a personal front, so I tip my hat to him this evening, and wish the Down men all the very best in the rest of the campaign. 

As for Armagh, I can't see how Kieran can hold on following Armagh's qualifier exit in most likely a game or two's time.  It's an awful pitty as Armagh have some great players, but a lack of game planning on the sideline is more than apparent.

stew

Quote from: OgraAnDun on June 04, 2017, 05:06:44 PM
Quote from: stew on June 04, 2017, 05:01:07 PM
Quote from: PAULD123 on June 04, 2017, 04:02:12 PM
Armagh certainly are a free scoring side. I didn't think we would survive that one point onslaught in the first 35 minutes of the second half

You lot are still useless b**tards that will get thumped next time out, I will revel in that when Monaghan are slapping ye all over the place!

You still only beat the worst Armagh side in history by a couple of points, not exactly world beaters yourselves, we might beaat Carlow and or Antrim, the rest are better than us so stick your arrogance up your hole paul, plenty of dark days ahead for both squads.

John McEntee anyone???  :) :) :) :) :) ;)

Stay classy Stew, maybe we'll see you in Division 2 in 2019.

If the current manager is in place we will be in Division 4 in 2019, the players are not playing for him and are a disgrace to the jersey.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.