Down v Armagh. June 4th

Started by tonto1888, May 13, 2017, 09:58:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Targetman

Quote from: Targetman on May 31, 2017, 08:59:04 PM
Let's hope Eamon Burns decides to commit to a more attacking game plan on Sunday, Armagh's defence has conceded quite a few goals but we won't trouble them by playing one man in the full forward line, we need O'hagan and Jerome Johnston up there and support coming from half forwards and/or midfielders, 15 points should win this game!! Get in there!!

Aaron Boone

Loads for McGeeney to work on, but he rises to challenges in his managerial career.

square_ball

Quote from: Syferus on June 04, 2017, 03:45:56 PM
What in God's name was Clarke at taking the point at the end?

Ref obviously told him there was time for anotherbattack not really that difficult to work out.

stew

Quote from: PAULD123 on June 04, 2017, 04:02:12 PM
Armagh certainly are a free scoring side. I didn't think we would survive that one point onslaught in the first 35 minutes of the second half

We should be a free scoring side, but when you have players not willing to take shots 25 yards out straight in front of goal you are going to lose.

Fair play to Down, they attacked with purpose and pace, we were slow of foot and stupid in the tackle, one score from play in the second half is atrocious, I am sick to my hearts core, the lowest ebb I have ever been at as an Armagh fan but I know I want McGeeney out ta fcuk, he is absolutely useless when it comes to game planning, we are robots not footballers and I am mortified for the dirge we threw up the day.

Good luck to Down against Monaghan or Cavan, they will need it but they fully deserved the win today against a side that play without a viable game plan, Armagh need to lose the qualifier game as quickly as possible, get rid of McGeeney and get a manager in that can put together a squad of footballers that can win games with grit, determination, skill and focus.

Down deserved to win this game, we are simply awful and we are at rock bottom, Kieran, finish the year out and go away, you have set us back five years with your so called 5 year plan, if your five year plan was to destroy us as a footballing county job done!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

stew

Armagh certainly are a free scoring side. I didn't think we would survive that one point onslaught in the first 35 minutes of the second half

You lot are still useless bastards that will get thumped next time out, I will revel in that when Monaghan are slapping ye all over the place!

You still only beat the worst Armagh side in history by a couple of points, not exactly world beaters yourselves, we might beaat Carlow and or Antrim, the rest are better than us so stick your arrogance up your hole paul, plenty of dark days ahead for both squads.

John McEntee anyone???  :) :) :) :) :) ;)
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

seafoid

Quote from: Avondhu star on June 04, 2017, 03:57:22 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 04, 2017, 03:46:42 PM
It seems like a long time ago that Geezer brought a team to an all Ireland semi final
Geezer is living off of very past glories. Might be ok to run a badly stuck junior b team but no tactical sense
None whatsoever
That Kildare team could have won an all Ireland
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Hedgehunter

Quote from: stew on June 04, 2017, 05:01:07 PM

You lot are still useless b**tards that will get thumped next time out, I will revel in that when Monaghan are slapping ye all over the place!

You still only beat the worst Armagh side in history by a couple of points, not exactly world beaters yourselves, we might beaat Carlow and or Antrim, the rest are better than us so stick your arrogance up your hole paul, plenty of dark days ahead for both squads.

Yeowwwww 🔴⚫️🔴⚫️

T Fearon

The worst Armagh performance in the Ulster Championship since Derry in 1995 and even that was against recent All Ireland Champions.Armagh had not one single player today and the standard from both teams was atrocious.The Down cheer at the end was muted,one of relief more than anything else and they will not get within 10 points of Monaghan.

Meanwhile Armagh must be the worst team in Ulster,at least Antrim,Fermanagh and Derry were competitive for one half each against much superior opposition.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: stew on June 04, 2017, 05:01:07 PM

You lot are still useless b**tards that will get thumped next time out, I will revel in that when Monaghan are slapping ye all over the place!

Stay classy Stew, maybe we'll see you in Division 2 in 2019.

Itchy

Quote from: seafoid on June 04, 2017, 05:02:34 PM
Quote from: Avondhu star on June 04, 2017, 03:57:22 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 04, 2017, 03:46:42 PM
It seems like a long time ago that Geezer brought a team to an all Ireland semi final
Geezer is living off of very past glories. Might be ok to run a badly stuck junior b team but no tactical sense
None whatsoever
That Kildare team could have won an all Ireland

A team with no forwards will never win an all Ireland. If McGeeney won Sam for that Kildare team he would've deserved the credit he gets today for doing nothing.

Smokin Joe

You really have to worry about Armagh's sideline.

Andrew Murnin won every ball into him today (As he always does), and our goals in the first half came from long balls that we won.

So what do we do in the second half?  We totally refuse to play the ball in long or early.  Instead we recycle possession around inside the 50 until Down had enough defenders back to win the ball.
The first long ball we played in the second half was in added on time after Murnin had been subbed off.

I really wonder how the sidelines see the tactics that they presumably sent the team out with in the second half.

Captain Obvious

Armagh got what they deserved out of the game but playing so poorly Armagh could have won if the other numerous goal chances were taken. Well done to Down a good day all round for them with the minors also holding on for the win.

Gig is up for McGeeney Armagh haven't improved in the league or championship under him.

tonto1888

I wouldn't be surprised if Clarke goes again. He gets no protection from refs. The treatment of Murnin was bad also. Ref inconsistent at best.
That said, you don't win games by not taking your points and we had options to do so on more than a few occasions.
Good luck to Down. Better side today but I think you guys will get it tougher against whoever you play next. As for us, I hope we get London away

seafoid

Quote from: Captain Obvious on June 04, 2017, 05:11:04 PM
Armagh got what they deserved out of the game but playing so poorly Armagh could have won if the other numerous goal chances were taken. Well done to Down a good day all round for them with the minors also holding on for the win.

Gig is up for McGeeney Armagh haven't improved in the league or championship under him.
Last year appeared to the nadir but this year had the Quinlivan goal and now this match
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

T Fearon

When you don't have one player playing up to scratch it is bad.I have never seen worse performances from Vernon,Campbell and Grugan,all of whom were substituted.