Down v Armagh. June 4th

Started by tonto1888, May 13, 2017, 09:58:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Obvious

The year that Down last beat Armagh in the championship Charles Haughey resigned as Taoiseach,Bill Clinton became US president,Prince Charles and Diana separated,Euro Disney opened in Paris, Denmark were crowned kings of European soccer and Windows 3.1 was released by Microsoft.

armaghniac

Quote from: Captain Obvious on June 01, 2017, 12:49:01 PM
The year that Down last beat Armagh in the championship Charles Haughey resigned as Taoiseach,Bill Clinton became US president,Prince Charles and Diana separated,Euro Disney opened in Paris, Denmark were crowned kings of European soccer and Windows 3.1 was released by Microsoft.

Those of you too young to remember what life was like then can reenter an older world https://classicreload.com/windows-31.html
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

tonto1888

Quote from: Captain Obvious on June 01, 2017, 12:49:01 PM

But we won the minors that day!

T Fearon

My late brother was the Armagh team Doctor that day,in fact I came across that match programme from 1992 just the other night while clearing out my recently deceased dad's house.

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

tonto1888

Quote from: T Fearon on June 01, 2017, 03:23:56 PM
My late brother was the Armagh team Doctor that day,in fact I came across that match programme from 1992 just the other night while clearing out my recently deceased dad's house.

Sorry to hear that Tony. Been there myself so I know what you're going through.

BennyCake

Quote from: T Fearon on June 01, 2017, 03:23:56 PM

My condolences, T.

I'd say I have that program lying about somewhere too.

regal

T Fearon

Sandy Hill

Quote from: stew on June 01, 2017, 11:34:09 AM
Quote from: OgraAnDun on May 31, 2017, 02:56:01 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on May 31, 2017, 02:11:57 PM
Just won 2 tickets courtesy of EirGAA! 8)

No doubt you'll be giving them to children in your club as you couldn't care less yourself.

Thats an arrogant statement considering you dont know the man, if you did you would know Tony is a diehard Armagh fan, but hey, keep on letting his detractors influence your opinion newbie, theres a good sheep!

Up Armagh! )

+1
"Stercus accidit"

T Fearon

Good article in the Irish News today about the longevity of the Armagh Down rivalry,from former Armagh manager and nephew of the legendary Tommy,Peter Makem,including many things I didn't know,like Sean O'Neill's father was a Keady man for example.

I recall many great clashes,like the one played in a  snow blizzard in Newry in 1980,when you could barely see the play so thick was the snowfall,yet there was a full house for this league fixture.

Just wish both teams had higher profiles currently.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: T Fearon on June 01, 2017, 07:28:06 PM
Good article in the Irish News today about the longevity of the Armagh Down rivalry,from former Armagh manager and nephew of the legendary Tommy,Peter Makem,including many things I didn't know,like Sean O'Neill's father was a Keady man for example.

I recall many great clashes,like the one played in a  snow blizzard in Newry in 1980,when you could barely see the play so thick was the snowfall,yet there was a full house for this league fixture.

Just wish both teams had higher profiles currently.

The funny thing Tony though is that down rarely have high profiles. They pull together with a particular group and are able to generate something out of nothing...it's the arrogance built on them that means they can create championship winning teams without any previous real pedigree. I feel both counties are suffering from the lack of success in the 2 newry schools. They have been the bedrock for both counties for years and have not really produced consistently in recent years. Also in armaghs case the lack of success in Lurgan clubs has been very detrimental. Armagh need a strong Clans team I would venture more than any other team bar ourselves. That wee bit of Francis street swagger was always a key to Armagh success.

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on June 01, 2017, 07:44:57 PM

The funny thing Tony though is that down rarely have high profiles. They pull together with a particular group and are able to generate something out of nothing...it's the arrogance built on them that means they can create championship winning teams without any previous real pedigree. I feel both counties are suffering from the lack of success in the 2 newry schools. They have been the bedrock for both counties for years and have not really produced consistently in recent years. Also in armaghs case the lack of success in Lurgan clubs has been very detrimental. Armagh need a strong Clans team I would venture more than any other team bar ourselves. That wee bit of Francis street swagger was always a key to Armagh success.

Agree about the Newry schools not delivering the players of the past but Bessbrook has made a good breakthrough and St Ronan's in Lurgan is doing a similar job.  On the other hand , Tony's old school in Armagh has done nothing for many years and has had some of those in the Armagh setup and managers of many club and county teams taking the teams.  The emergence of Cavan from its torpor was due in some considerable part to the county board taking a direct involvement in the development of football at college level.  There needs to be a similar strategy in Armagh to make the most of development in the schools.

SHEEDY

nil satis nisi optimum