Marky Mark and the GAA from 1 January

Started by seafoid, November 21, 2016, 04:22:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: Jinxy on January 09, 2017, 12:05:40 PM
Then we'll bring in a rule to ban short kick outs.

:) We love new rules in the GAA :)

When was the last new rule brought into soccer? The active/passive offside rule?

Rossfan

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 09, 2017, 11:52:52 AM
Any comments on the mark from people who saw games over the weekend?
Remember a whistle going for one and Cathal Shine getting space to play on in another instance
Wouldn't it be an idea for the Refs to give a double hoot on the whistle for a mark to differentiate it from a free .
Most people still thinks it's a free he's blowing for.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

tiempo

Is this rule in place now for the remainder of the All-Ireland club football series?

AZOffaly

I doubt it. Rule changes are tied to the start of a competition. i.e the Competition has to have started under that rule to use it in the latter stages. Otherwise it could be said to compromise the earlier games in the competition.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

magpie seanie

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 09, 2017, 12:54:32 PM
I doubt it. Rule changes are tied to the start of a competition. i.e the Competition has to have started under that rule to use it in the latter stages. Otherwise it could be said to compromise the earlier games in the competition.

I agree that used to be the way but I think I read an article somewhere about one of the club semi finalists preparing for the new rule.

AZOffaly

I don't think soccer changes the playing rules nearly as much. Extra Linesmen and Goal Line technology are not really what I'd consider playing rules. This is, as was the black card, as was the sin bin etc.

I don't mind rule changes either, as long as there is a clear understanding of why they are being introduced, and that some thought has been given to the consequences and to understanding the problem they are trying to solve. So many of our changes seem to be knee jerk reactions to media campaigns of one sort or another.

magpie seanie

What you get sent off for in soccer seems to change every year.

Backpass rule change was the best one they ever made in soccer.

AZOffaly

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 09, 2017, 02:13:11 PM

NO WAY!

AZOffaly

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 09, 2017, 02:13:11 PM

That's more interpretation than rule changes though. I suppose the 'professional foul' was a new rule introduced alright.

Estimator

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 09, 2017, 12:10:26 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on January 09, 2017, 12:05:40 PM
Then we'll bring in a rule to ban short kick outs.

:) We love new rules in the GAA :)

When was the last new rule brought into soccer? The active/passive offside rule?

There was a new rule brought in this year regarding kickoff. Previously it had to travel forward which meant the team taking the kickoff required two players in the centre circle. Now the ball can travel in any direction.
Ulster League Champions 2009

thejuice

How do the gaa go about devising new rules. I assume there is a committee but do they carry out experimental rules on some "testing ground" for lack of a better term. I'm just curious about this? How does it get decided as to what is best?
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

AZOffaly

Quote from: thejuice on January 09, 2017, 02:42:44 PM
How do the gaa go about devising new rules. I assume there is a committee but do they carry out experimental rules on some "testing ground" for lack of a better term. I'm just curious about this? How does it get decided as to what is best?

I'd say it falls to a commiiitttttteeeeee like the Hurling Development Committee or whatever. I know for that rule about the hurling penalty, they brought a few lads to Thurles and made them take penalties on one another :)

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 09, 2017, 01:00:03 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on January 09, 2017, 12:54:32 PM

I agree that used to be the way but I think I read an article somewhere about one of the club semi finalists preparing for the new rule.

Yeah, I'm fairly sure it's in for the club too.

Didn't make any impact in Mullingar. Short directed kickouts all day. Opposition intercepted one but didn't take the mark as it was more advantageous to keep running at goal. Another one caught on the chest just outside the 45. By the time he stopped and went back to the spot, the opposition were organised. Same as taking a deep lying free kick, completely unnecessary rule change.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Jinxy

Quote from: thejuice on January 09, 2017, 02:42:44 PM

Eugene McGee just rings up Croke Park.
If you were any use you'd be playing.