Marky Mark and the GAA from 1 January

Started by seafoid, November 21, 2016, 04:22:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macdanger2

"When the player awarded the mark decides to play on, when may he be tackled?
He may be tackled after he takes four steps or once he plays the ball in any way."

This is a huge one imo, basically if you catch the ball clean, you can't be tackled for four steps. Provides a pretty decent advantage

AZOffaly

Quote from: Ball Hopper on November 30, 2016, 06:14:39 PM
Play till you hear the whistle, just like always.  No whistle, no mark.  Hear a whistle, everyone stops and referee indicates spot where free kick to be taken from.  Referee starts counting down 5...4...3...2...1...0 and if free not by the time 0 is hit, ball thrown up.

What am I missing?

The player has to call for the mark by stopping.

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 30, 2016, 07:11:00 PM
Quote from: Ball Hopper on November 30, 2016, 06:14:39 PM
Play till you hear the whistle, just like always.  No whistle, no mark.  Hear a whistle, everyone stops and referee indicates spot where free kick to be taken from.  Referee starts counting down 5...4...3...2...1...0 and if free not by the time 0 is hit, ball thrown up.

What am I missing?

The player has to call for the mark by stopping.

Like rugby. But it won't work like rugby.
MWWSI 2017

sligoman2

Ye are some bunch of pessimists lads.   Give it a chance at least
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

muppet

Quote from: sligoman2 on November 30, 2016, 11:49:54 PM

You're dead right. It could be a massive success, like the black card, yellow card and the 'tick' were.
MWWSI 2017

sligoman2

AZOffaly

It might. I just think it's ill conceived. I was positive towards the Black Card in principle.

Croí na hÉireann

Surely the place to give it a chance is to trial it in a competition, like at 3rd level for a year? If it significantly improves the game then by all means bring the motion to congress.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

magpie seanie

I knew the black card would be a disaster and it has proved to be so. This won't be a disaster - it will just have little impact and cause some confusion. It's a pretty pointless change with obviously very little thought gone into it. Or if a lot of thought has gone into it then it reflects terribly on those involved. As Buckass mentioned if a high catch is made from a kickout in recent times you very often see the fielder getting a handy free....and I've no problem with that versus the alternative of him being punished for overcarrying after a high catch and then being surrounded. So if that's what they're trying to achieve it's a waste of time. If they're trying to eliminate short kickouts this will be an utter failure.

The rule change though is in line with a lot of what the top brass are doing. To me they are totally out of touch with what they're seeing in front of them. Like - why don't we bring in a "mark" in hurling? Hurling guys somehow do a great job of protecting their game from this idiocy.

Rossfan

Sure they can have any rules they like in hurley s the Refs will ignore them all ::)
The real problem in the game still referred to as Gaelic Football is the throwball and runball infestation.
Address that first and we can take other rules from there.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

sligoman2

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 02, 2016, 10:25:38 AM

I knew the black card would be a disaster and it has proved to be so. This won't be a disaster - it will just have little impact and cause some confusion. It's a pretty pointless change with obviously very little thought gone into it. Or if a lot of thought has gone into it then it reflects terribly on those involved. As Buckass mentioned if a high catch is made from a kickout in recent times you very often see the fielder getting a handy free....and I've no problem with that versus the alternative of him being punished for overcarrying after a high catch and then being surrounded. So if that's what they're trying to achieve it's a waste of time. If they're trying to eliminate short kickouts this will be an utter failure.

The rule change though is in line with a lot of what the top brass are doing. To me they are totally out of touch with what they're seeing in front of them. Like - why don't we bring in a "mark" in hurling? Hurling guys somehow do a great job of protecting their game from this idiocy.
Personally I think all kick outs should be required to travel past the 45 meter line or 35 meters if that's too far.  As a former midfielder who had good catching skills I applaud anything that brings the high catch back to the game.  The current game has become difficult to watch with short kick outs packed defenses and hundreds of hand passes.  I understand that this may cause confusion at the outset but I hope the next step is mandating that all kick outs need to go beyond he 45.
I also think that teams should be required to have a minimum of three players in the opponents half of the field at ALL times - we don't need 0-3 to 0-2 scores like we had in Donegal this year...

magpie seanie

Quote from: sligoman2 on December 02, 2016, 01:00:56 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on December 02, 2016, 10:25:38 AM

Personally I think all kick outs should be required to travel past the 45 meter line or 35 meters if that's too far.  As a former midfielder who had good catching skills I applaud anything that brings the high catch back to the game.  The current game has become difficult to watch with short kick outs packed defenses and hundreds of hand passes.  I understand that this may cause confusion at the outset but I hope the next step is mandating that all kick outs need to go beyond he 45.
I also think that teams should be required to have a minimum of three players in the opponents half of the field at ALL times - we don't need 0-3 to 0-2 scores like we had in Donegal this year...

I don't disagree with you except that I'm certain this measure will do nothing to bring the high catch back to the game as you say. The other restrictions on shortness of kickout and numbers in certain sectors will actually have an impact if used. This one will have none.

seafoid

Players should get an allocation of 3 handpasses per match.
The sad thing about modern Gaelic is that you don't need to be a good footballer to play intercounty in a good number of positions .

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

seafoid

Quote from: Jinxy on December 02, 2016, 04:49:47 PM
No country for fancy dans.
There is no beauty in the game anymore. Just brute force and defence by numbers. Taliban stuff
I remember the fugees singing about killing Meath softly ..