auschwitz day jews. v nazis

Started by lawnseed, January 27, 2015, 12:20:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mouview

Quote from: johnneycool on January 27, 2015, 02:07:38 PM
Quote from: deiseach on January 27, 2015, 02:04:51 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on January 27, 2015, 02:02:53 PM
On Hitler and his extreme antisemitism, where did it stem from?

From being an evil, cruel and stupid piece of shit.

That's being a little simplistic, why vent all this mostly on the Jews? He put a huge bit of resource into it all the same!

I'm not denying he wasn't all of those things you mention.

Hitler couldn't have done it all on his own. (Though he supposedly contracted syphilis from a Jewish prostitute, which may have influenced his actions.) How did a whole regime morph into a extremist genocidal machine? There were loads more of a similar mind who found refuge among the Nazi cadres.

johnneycool

Quote from: mouview on January 27, 2015, 02:42:48 PM

That's being a little simplistic, why vent all this mostly on the Jews? He put a huge bit of resource into it all the same!

Hitler couldn't have done it all on his own. (Though he supposedly contracted syphilis from a Jewish prostitute, which may have influenced his actions.) How did a whole regime morph into a extremist genocidal machine? There were loads more of a similar mind who found refuge among the Nazi cadres.

fuckin hell, he gassed a few million Jews because he caught syphillis off a Jewish prostitute!!

Denn Forever

What I take from Lawnseed's post is the Irony that a people who were the victims of a Nazi policy of  Lebensraum or the policy of Living Space and it now seems the Policy of Israel.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Syferus

Jews had been persecuted and vilified long before Hitler put down his paint brush. It was in the air, all the Nazis did was manifest it into its' most horrible form.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Denn Forever on January 27, 2015, 02:57:20 PM
What I take from Lawnseed's post is the Irony that a people who were the victims of a Nazi policy of  Lebensraum or the policy of Living Space and it now seems the Policy of Israel.

Yes, obviously that's what he's getting at. But he says he finds it hard to have sympathy for the victims as they cry and hold up their tattoos. That is strange to begin with. And then to seemingly link directly those people to the policy makers in Jerusalem is disingenous in the extreme.

Plenty of us have drawn parallels, or referred to the irony, of a state which should have deep memories of injustice and oppression carrying out an oppressive campaign against another hopelessly overmatched group.

that does not mean you cannot feel sympathy for the victims of the holocaust, and horror that it unfolded in the first place.

seafoid

It wasn't just the Nazis. A lot of Europeans were very happy to shunt the Jews off to the Middle East.
It suited the Zionists too. It is a very depressing story. 

Orior

Quote from: Syferus on January 27, 2015, 01:36:52 PM
Quote from: Orior on January 27, 2015, 12:36:34 PM

Btw, I visited Auswitz a number of years ago and it was quite thought provoking. While I was there, a couple of bus loads of jews arrived and I have to say I was not impressed by their attitude. They would push you out of the way and walk all over you.

Is this a joke? If it isn't it's worse than Lawnseed's lame attempt at trolling because you're actually tarring a group based on anecdotes.

No, its true. A couple of other visitors were disgusted at their behaviour. I didnt intend to tar the whole Israel tribe, and it purely is an anecdotal story.

By the way, has anyone ever asked why? Why did Hitler hate the Jews? Why did the Germans/Nazi'z hate the Jews? Why has that attitude been around in Europe for 1,000 years or more?

I'm not endorsing what the Nazi's did -  I'm just interested in why and root cause.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Hardy

The lesson of the holocaust is that the veneer of civilisation is very thin. The Millman experiment corroborates that view.

Just as the Germans committed atrocities because they could get away with it, it's no surprise that the Israelis as a state oppress the Palestinians for the same reason. A scorpion stings you because he can. What we need to understand is that any nation (our own included) or group of people has it in them to perpetrate unspeakable atrocities if they figure they can get away with it.

That's why the criminalisation of holocaust denial is justifiable, even at the expense of the right to free speech. We must never forget, never mind deny. Eternal vigilance is not just the price of freedom. It is a necessity for civilisation.

seafoid

Quote from: Orior on January 27, 2015, 03:22:51 PM

Btw, I visited Auswitz a number of years ago and it was quite thought provoking. While I was there, a couple of bus loads of jews arrived and I have to say I was not impressed by their attitude. They would push you out of the way and walk all over you.

Is this a joke? If it isn't it's worse than Lawnseed's lame attempt at trolling because you're actually tarring a group based on anecdotes.

No, its true. A couple of other visitors were disgusted at their behaviour. I didnt intend to tar the whole Israel tribe, and it purely is an anecdotal story.

By the way, has anyone ever asked why? Why did Hitler hate the Jews? Why did the Germans/Nazi'z hate the Jews? Why has that attitude been around in Europe for 1,000 years or more?

I'm not endorsing what the Nazi's did -  I'm just interested in why and root cause.
Religious minorities , women and sexual minorities tend to get shafted when society enters crisis situations. CF Iraq now where the Sunni turn on the Yazidis, ISIS drive their women into slavery and Afghanstan where gay people are murdered.

Other well off minorities who are/were  periodically targeted are Chinese in Indonesia , Lebanese in West Africa , Greeks around the Med.
Human nature can be diabolical and the Germans industrialised it.   

johnneycool

Quote from: Orior on January 27, 2015, 03:22:51 PM

I did. Turns out Hitler is supposed to have gotten syphilis off a Jewish prostitute and that caused the holocaust.

Billys Boots

Quote from: Hardy on January 27, 2015, 03:31:54 PM
The lesson of the holocaust is that the veneer of civilisation is very thin. The Millman experiment corroborates that view.

Just as the Germans committed atrocities because they could get away with it, it's no surprise that the Israelis as a state oppress the Palestinians for the same reason. A scorpion stings you because he can. What we need to understand is that any nation (our own included) or group of people has it in them to perpetrate unspeakable atrocities if they figure they can get away with it.

That's why the criminalisation of holocaust denial is justifiable, even at the expense of the right to free speech. We must never forget, never mind deny. Eternal vigilance is not just the price of freedom. It is a necessity for civilisation.

Well said - the more recent conflicts in Palestine and indeed the Balkans bear this out, sadly. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

J70

Quote from: Billys Boots on January 27, 2015, 04:33:07 PM
Quote from: Hardy on January 27, 2015, 03:31:54 PM

Well said - the more recent conflicts in Palestine and indeed the Balkans bear this out, sadly.

Rwanda...

deiseach

He had his reasons, such as the Protocols of the Elders of Zion. The fact that those reasons were complete lies . . . evil, cruel and stupid. And a piece of shit.

muppet

Anti-semitism was all over this country not so long ago. It was one of the few things the religious leaders of Protestants and Catholics on this island agreed upon. But it appears to have been confined to the religious rather than political dogmas.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limerick_Boycott

I should also mention that people like Daniel O'Connell and Michael Davitt strongly publicly supported the rights of Jews.

Lawnseed's (my autocorrect initially switched his name to 'lowness') post is a spectacular piece of crassness. The abominable actions of Netanyahu are no reason to insult the millions of innocent victims of the Holocaust.

But Lawnseed's post does show that the deeply ingrained views of some long dead religious leaders can still linger in some dark places on this island.

Also worth a read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Jews_in_Ireland

Evangelical Protestants such as Edward Nangle in Achill preached a strong hatred of Jews in the 1800s, but then he did the same for Catholics. Think Paisley, only with more venom.

But the local Catholic Leaders weren't much better.

MWWSI 2017

magpie seanie

When I saw the thread title I feared the worst but I'm glad to see lots of intelligent discussion here.

I visited Auschwitz myself a few years ago and it will stay with me forever. I'm glad I went but it was truly, truly awful. Really brings the horror of the whole thing home.