irish name spelling

Started by phpearse, November 26, 2008, 12:29:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross4life

who say Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh has the right spelling for it
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

stpauls

Quote from: ross4life on October 13, 2010, 10:19:00 PM
who say Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh has the right spelling for it

aye, but he was christened Michael Moriarty, so that doesn't mean anything. i was asking if this was the only spelling, or did people use the other 2 names as well.

lurganblue

My son is christened Micheál but as you say there are a few different spellings knocking about but there are different spellings for lots of Irish names

IolarCoisCuain

Micheál is the most common spelling. Mícheál is not incorrect, but it less common. You could argue that it matches the sound better, but sometimes you're just as well going with the flow.

You needn't worry about Mhichil if you're using English. If you're writing or speaking Irish, Mhichil is Micheál in both the vocative and genitive case. If you're just using the name in English, you really don't need to bother about this. Best forget your ever read it.

Denn Forever

Mícheál is the correct spelling if the name is pronounced Me Hall.

Micheál would be pronouced My Call.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Denn Forever on October 14, 2010, 02:53:45 PM

Micheál Ó Muircheartaigh spells it without a fada on the i: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dun-Sion-Croke-Park-Autobiography/dp/1844880443

You reckon he's illiterate or doesn't know how to pronounce his own name? Wind in the old neck there hoss. There's nothing definite in any of this.

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on October 14, 2010, 07:00:30 PM

Micheál Ó Muircheartaigh spells it without a fada on the i: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dun-Sion-Croke-Park-Autobiography/dp/1844880443

You reckon he's illiterate or doesn't know how to pronounce his own name? Wind in the old neck there hoss. There's nothing definite in any of this.
I suppose it's something similar to the way some parents today spell names in different ways e.g. Caitilin, Katelyn, Kaitlin etc etc

We named our first son Seamus, gan fada ar bith
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on October 14, 2010, 07:16:11 PM
Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on October 14, 2010, 07:00:30 PM

I suppose it's something similar to the way some parents today spell names in different ways e.g. Caitilin, Katelyn, Kaitlin etc etc

We named our first son Seamus, gan fada ar bith

This is it. Séamus used to be spelled Séamas in Mayo. Who's to say who's wrong and who's right?

In theory there's a caighdeán, a standard, that's been established since the late fifties but it's more often ignored than observed.

We spend so much time fighting among ourselves instead of promoting the language it's shocking and heart-breaking.

rosnarun

Quote from: hardstation on January 30, 2010, 09:34:48 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on January 30, 2010, 09:32:21 PM
Quote from: Canalman on January 25, 2010, 09:13:25 AM
The meanings behind the surnames McAnespie and McEntaggart are interesting.

Wonder do the loyalist people of Shankill know how the area got its name. Leprachaun language I believe they call it.

Very true, son of the bishop and son of the priest!!! I'd chance Sean chille as Irish translation of Shankill?
Surely the names go back to times when Priests etc were allowed to marry.

Or something.

much more likely it signifies there was a priest/bishop in the family or a nickname some one had like Dan day lewis in gangs of NEw york
The name aren't that old and while there may be a few priest's sons out there i dont think anyone would boast about it
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

IolarCoisCuain

Here's more of it. The Irish for Maynooth as seen on the roadsigns on the motorway is "Maigh Nuad." NUI, Maynooth is is "Ollscoil na hÉireann, Má Nuad." Sure what hope has a learner got? Caighdeán mo thóin.  :(