Gerry McEntee puts Art McRory back in his box

Started by Jinxy, May 31, 2015, 03:05:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Because they'd do it to your face no matter who was looking at them. No sneakiness. And as I said, if you hit them back there'd be no rolling around. I would prefer that attitude to the one where I will keep yapping and taunting you until you lash out, and then I'll go down like a puppet with cut strings to get you sent off.

One is borderline dirty, but straightforward. The other is just as dirty, but sneaky as shit.

nrico2006

But is anyone really prepared for a punch?  On the football/hurling field, rows and pushing/shoving happen all the time, I don't think anybody is really ready for someone to swing their fist at their face therefore it in my eyes is cowardly, dirty and sneaky.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

inobest

A serious amount of crap talked here lads. Firstly look at what Art said. No mention of sledging. He is just saying what was obvious to see, Meath targeted oppositions best players for treatment.

Secondly, for anyone to say that they would prefer a punch to a bit of mouthing is ridiculous. I know a young fella got his jaw broke by a dirty action on the pitch in a club game a few weeks ago. Will miss the rest of the summer football, will be drinking his food for the next few weeks etc etc. Now what sort of clowns are saying they'd prefer to see a man hitting another man rather that talking to him.

Catch urselves on lads... seriously

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Jinxy on June 01, 2015, 12:14:21 AM
Sledging is the personal stuff, like the following:
"You are fat"
"Your Mam is fat"
"Your Sister is fat"
"I still rode the both of them" etc.
I'd have said it was more than that IMO

But Kevin foleys 'tell your mother to stop changing her lipstick .... Because my dicks like a f**king rainbow ' to Ciaran duff  - falls into that category then...

lynchbhoy

Meath were the better side on the day anyway- Tyrone were doing well to stop them IMO.
I was at the game.
That's before the injuries or targeting or whatever you want to call it. Tyrone just never got going.

The worst sledging I've heard was about opponents mocking Liam hays about his brother hanging himself from the crossbar in the local pitch.
Scumbags saying anything like that on a football pitch

All shite talk should be discouraged by coaches and mouthing getting a yellow or indeed red card.

We need to act on this kind of thing IMO.

It was bad but getting worse.

You should only ever talk to your team mates on the pitch.

thirteen03

Some good points raised above about striking vs sledging. Striking on a football pitch is a very cowardly act, but the consequences can be much worse than with sledging. If someone wants to show his manliness, or he just enjoys fighting, there are lots of places where he can do that with like minded people. He can step into a ring where he can have a fair, one-on-one fight until someone looses. He can even choose his preferred discipline. Of course that wouldn't suit a coward very well because there's no team mates to back him up, no referee to send off his opponent if he retaliates, no context for to him to disguise his hits as something else, and nothing to distract everyone's attention while he lines up a hit. Although brawls do happen on the football pitch the coward who strikes knows that the chances of a fair, one-on-one fight breaking out are slim to nil. There are plenty of opportunities to show genuine bravery on a football pitch, the guys who strike and go in with dirty/reckless challenges show the opposite.

BennyHarp

Quote from: lynchbhoy on June 01, 2015, 12:34:57 PM
Meath were the better side on the day anyway- Tyrone were doing well to stop them IMO.
I was at the game.
That's before the injuries or targeting or whatever you want to call it. Tyrone just never got going.

The worst sledging I've heard was about opponents mocking Liam hays about his brother hanging himself from the crossbar in the local pitch.

All shite talk should be discouraged by coaches and mouthing getting a yellow or indeed red card.

I was at the game too and have watched it many times on tape since and the first 20 - 25 mins of that game, in my opinion, was as good as I'd seen from any Tyrone team up to that point. Probably one of the few games when Cush, Canavan and Cavlan where all firing, at the same time. The injury to Dooher and McBride caused problems but the injury to Canavan was a crushing blow to the confidence of the team that they never recovered from - at that stage we had become far, far too reliant on him. But ultimately some crazy decisions by Big Art himself were as crucial in us losing that game as anything Meath did. For example, leaving Canavan on the pitch for far too long, putting Fergal Logan on Geraghty and leaving Paul Donnelly on the bench for the whole game, when if ever there was a game crying out for him, this was it.
That was never a square ball!!

haranguerer

Theres very little difference in players then and now, and how manly they are etc. The difference is in the game. Back then you could bury someone and as long as it wasn't a straight punch to the jaw right in front of the ref, you weren't going to get sent off. Now you'd be sent off, banned etc for much smaller indiscretions. So other ways to intimidate/put off the game have come into play - its an unfortunate natural evolution.

Also, I can understand the 'its all just words' attitude, and I would have been largely of that opinion myself, (I've certainly never really got why anyone gets upset at 'i rid your ma' jokes'), but it seems I've been a bit too innocent in terms of some of the vitriol - if anyone said to me anything about my mothers death in an accident, my brothers suicide, or my sisters murder (thats the three separate worst incidents I've seen mentioned by the way, I'm not the unluckiest man in Ireland), I would honestly do all I could to batter them, and I can't imagine I'd be able to wait until the final whistle to do so.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: haranguerer on June 01, 2015, 01:11:35 PM
Theres very little difference in players then and now, and how manly they are etc. The difference is in the game. Back then you could bury someone and as long as it wasn't a straight punch to the jaw right in front of the ref, you weren't going to get sent off. Now you'd be sent off, banned etc for much smaller indiscretions. So other ways to intimidate/put off the game have come into play - its an unfortunate natural evolution.

Also, I can understand the 'its all just words' attitude, and I would have been largely of that opinion myself, (I've certainly never really got why anyone gets upset at 'i rid your ma' jokes'), but it seems I've been a bit too innocent in terms of some of the vitriol - if anyone said to me anything about my mothers death in an accident, my brothers suicide, or my sisters murder (thats the three separate worst incidents I've seen mentioned by the way, I'm not the unluckiest man in Ireland), I would honestly do all I could to batter them, and I can't imagine I'd be able to wait until the final whistle to do so.
Good post. Sums it up well. Anyone taunting another player about a personal tragedy deserves everything they get and then some.

Keepthefaith93

Quote from: haranguerer on June 01, 2015, 01:11:35 PM

Also, I can understand the 'its all just words' attitude, and I would have been largely of that opinion myself, (I've certainly never really got why anyone gets upset at 'i rid your ma' jokes'), but it seems I've been a bit too innocent in terms of some of the vitriol - if anyone said to me anything about my mothers death in an accident, my brothers suicide, or my sisters murder (that's the three separate worst incidents I've seen mentioned by the way, I'm not the unluckiest man in Ireland), I would honestly do all I could to batter them, and I can't imagine I'd be able to wait until the final whistle to do so.

Couldn't agree more.

Anyone who says things like that to someone on a football pitch or anywhere else for that matter is a complete sc**bag.

All teams have lads who walk a fine line with there behaviour. My own included, but i can honestly say if i had  heard a team mate coming out with the type of poison quoted above I think i would have hit him myself.

P.S - A man telling you he rid your girlfriend/wife/sister/ma should only piss you off if its true.

If its true he shouldn't be saying it.

J70

I was at the game.

That kind of shite should be publicized every time! I wouldn't care if it was a player from my own county. If you are going to stoop that low in trying to get some kind of edge, you should have no right to be representing your county.

The "I rode your sister last night" type of stuff is harmless and cliched and its doubtful if anyone really reacts to it. While giving grief about missing frees or whatever might put someone off, I don't see much of a problem with it. Deal with it! Its when it gets calculated and malicious and personal such as that comment to Hayes or the one mentioned earlier about the player's mother dying in a car crash that there should be no tolerance for it.

INDIANA

Quote from: J70 on June 01, 2015, 03:39:40 PM
I was at the game.

That kind of shite should be publicized every time! I wouldn't care if it was a player from my own county. If you are going to stoop that low in trying to get some kind of edge, you should have no right to be representing your county.

The "I rode your sister last night" type of stuff is harmless and cliched and its doubtful if anyone really reacts to it. While giving grief about missing frees or whatever might put someone off, I don't see much of a problem with it. Deal with it! Its when it gets calculated and malicious and personal such as that comment to Hayes or the one mentioned earlier about the player's mother dying in a car crash that there should be no tolerance for it.
You can't get a little bit pregnant. You either have a rule or you don't. And it's no sledging or sledging.

J70

Quote from: INDIANA on June 01, 2015, 04:02:52 PM
Quote from: J70 on June 01, 2015, 03:39:40 PM
I was at the game.

You can't get a little bit pregnant. You either have a rule or you don't. And it's no sledging or sledging.

True, but given that there is zero disciplinary action taken currently,  if players made it clear what was beyond acceptable, it might at least discourage the more nasty stuff. Of course then you get into "he said this"/"No I didn't! "!

ck

Well said Gerry McEntee.

So Ricey McMenamin was in the Tyrone minor back room team this year? Mmmm now it's all making sense.

Over the Bar

Some of the lines you hear on the pitch are great tho. When Mossie Quinn and the rest of the Dublin team were having a 'mare v Tyrone in 2008, Dublin got the usual handy free.    One of the Tyrone players says "Here Mossie, you do know that if you miss this one Pillar will pull ye off for sure!"