Electric Cars. Real aternative or ego boosters?

Started by Denn Forever, September 02, 2019, 02:01:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: trailer on September 19, 2023, 03:46:07 PMA bio diesel will come on stream soon. Engines won't need to be adapted. For this and lots of other reasons electric vehicles won't take off. Governments are already pulling subsidies and tax breaks.

Bio diesel is perfectly possible technically. However, the challenge is to produce biodiesel without reducing the food supply.
Batteries will double in life and halve in size in the next 5 years and likely reduce in cost too, this will make electric cars feasible and so biodiesel might be better reserved for a harder challenge like aeroplanes.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

trailer

Quote from: armaghniac on September 19, 2023, 05:13:15 PM
Quote from: trailer on September 19, 2023, 03:46:07 PMA bio diesel will come on stream soon. Engines won't need to be adapted. For this and lots of other reasons electric vehicles won't take off. Governments are already pulling subsidies and tax breaks.

Bio diesel is perfectly possible technically. However, the challenge is to produce biodiesel without reducing the food supply.
Batteries will double in life and halve in size in the next 5 years and likely reduce in cost too, this will make electric cars feasible and so biodiesel might be better reserved for a harder challenge like aeroplanes.

Sunak announces a row back tonight. Like I predicted.

armaghniac

Toyota "road" map, if you can actually go into the showroom in 2026 and buy a yoke that is significantly cheaper and with 600Km range, then that would suit a lot of people.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Mourne Red

Quote from: trailer on September 19, 2023, 10:18:46 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on September 19, 2023, 05:13:15 PM

Sunak announces a row back tonight. Like I predicted.

Just right - infrastructure isn't there to switch to electric cars and also the price of electric cars no one can afford them

seafoid

Quote from: armaghniac on September 17, 2023, 06:24:18 PM
Quote from: seafoid on September 17, 2023, 05:51:52 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on September 17, 2023, 01:59:15 PM
Quote from: seafoid on September 17, 2023, 01:48:19 PMImagine if diesel cars ever ran low on diesel. They would have to hold to a filling station. Thank god that never happens.

No, someone can put 5L of diesel in a can and bring it to the car.
In Armagh.

How many times  in a decade would a typical driver run out of diesel ?

Less than the number of power cuts.
I would love to see the data.

theskull1

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

seafoid

Quote from: theskull1 on October 11, 2023, 11:35:10 AMThe Luton airport fire  :o

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/luton-airport-car-park-cause-b2427767.html
"We don't believe it was an electric vehicle," Andrew Hopkinson, chief fire officer for Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service, said.

"It's believed to be diesel-powered, at this stage all subject to verification. And then that fire has quickly and rapidly spread.

theskull1

Yes I heard a non hybrid diesel range rover mentioned. But if it caused neighboring EVs to light up, then I'd be fairly sure this will be the major factor in it getting out of control.   
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

marty34

I hear bad reports from people about Range/Land Rovers.

Seems to be issues with them.

johnnycool

Quote from: marty34 on October 11, 2023, 08:07:58 PMI hear bad reports from people about Range/Land Rovers.

Seems to be issues with them.

In general yes, poor build quality on the discovery and Evoque I was told, not specific to electric or hybrids though

general

I have had an electric vehicle (tesla) 6 months,

travel in the region of 1000 miles a week, home charging costing £60 a week, in comparison to £140 I was spending on a previous Audi. able to claim back 8p per mile which gives me the chance to plug in to a supercharger if ever required or if i happen to pull in for a coffee and the jacks. as long as you have home charging there is never any issues.

serious savings in company car tax, costing 22 euro a week in comparison to 90 a week with diesel.

public charging is a bit of a luxury, there is plenty of it about contrary to previous reports here. i get roughly 280-300 miles per full charge, some days taking 65, some days taking 70% of the charge return to dublin from newry area.

serious lift out of the car - i was surprised at just how much. certainly the fastest car ive driven.

anyway - link for £500 or euro discount if ordered below; also for the test drive
https://ts.la/michael568802

trailer

Arse has fallen out of the second hand market for electric vehicles. The wide spread adoption that was predicted simply hasn't happened.

Saffron_sam20

its all well and good being able to buy an electric car but if anything goes wrong with them its massive money. also the parts aren't as readily available. Anyone here had an Electric car involved in an accident? was talking to a fella who works in insurance and he said one of the reasons premiums are going up is that any accident involving an electric car is mega money. Def think bio diesel and then eventually some sort of Hydro will be the way we head

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: trailer on February 15, 2024, 09:55:45 AMArse has fallen out of the second hand market for electric vehicles. The wide spread adoption that was predicted simply hasn't happened.

100%
Second hand these things are worth noting now
Replacement batteries are extortionate and insurance companies are putting prices up for EVs
Only way to have an EV, lease it for three years then get another one.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

seafoid

The growth rate of EVs has slowed down but how many cars need to have their battery replaced ? Engine trouble on petrol/diesel cars is also ruinous.