howya horsebox and names that go with places

Started by seafoid, January 08, 2016, 07:23:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Quote from: trileacman on September 29, 2016, 09:36:30 PM
Quote from: barelegs on September 29, 2016, 08:25:50 PM
Certainly the eastern part of Tyrone, a young lady is a 'blade'. 'Our blade' would be my sister for example.

The further you go west in Tyrone towards Omagh blade becomes 'cuddy'

Yeah. Cubs for young men and cutty for a girl. Generally for describing adolescents or children.
Dollybird, I assume that means adolescent girl too?

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Hardy

'Doll' for woman; 'ronnie' for moustache - a couple of words from the fifties that I still hear in Drogheda, but not in Meath at all. Does anywhere else still use them?

seafoid

Quote from: Hardy on September 30, 2016, 11:03:02 AM
'Doll' for woman; 'ronnie' for moustache - a couple of words from the fifties that I still hear in Drogheda, but not in Meath at all. Does anywhere else still use them?
I used to hear about ronnies from Dubs in the Gaeltacht during the summer

AZOffaly

Quote from: seafoid on September 29, 2016, 05:50:39 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 29, 2016, 08:25:50 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on January 08, 2016, 12:38:31 PM
I've never heard it as bad as the Tipp lads. Up home it would be two or three byes.
Das right, Tipp heads would wreck yer heads with their bye, bye, byes and also saying das right when they agree with you.
Wasn't das right one of the main lines from d'unbelievables ?

Pat Short is from Thurles, and a lot of his stuff is based around North Tipp/Limerick. Killinascully was filmed right near here in Newport, in the villages of Killoscully and Ballinahinch. I was asked to be an extra for an episode, but unfortunately was working on the day. My brother in law went and can be seen frequently in the Bachelor Festival episode.

Ryans in Killoscully, the pub that Jacksie owns in the series, is a lovely pub for a nice pint by the way, if you are in the area. Strangely, the outside of the pub 'Bunnán Buí' is actually the pub in Ballinahinch, but the inside is the pub in Killoscully. While the Bally boys' pub is the opposite. (The outside is Ryan's in Killoscully, and the inside is Bunnnán Buí in Ballinahinch.)

Das Right.

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 30, 2016, 11:13:46 AM
Quote from: seafoid on September 29, 2016, 05:50:39 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 29, 2016, 08:25:50 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on January 08, 2016, 12:38:31 PM
I've never heard it as bad as the Tipp lads. Up home it would be two or three byes.
Das right, Tipp heads would wreck yer heads with their bye, bye, byes and also saying das right when they agree with you.
Wasn't das right one of the main lines from d'unbelievables ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3yIMVWaao4
Pat Short is from Thurles, and a lot of his stuff is based around North Tipp/Limerick. Killinascully was filmed right near here in Newport, in the villages of Killoscully and Ballinahinch. I was asked to be an extra for an episode, but unfortunately was working on the day. My brother in law went and can be seen frequently in the Bachelor Festival episode.

Ryans in Killoscully, the pub that Jacksie owns in the series, is a lovely pub for a nice pint by the way, if you are in the area. Strangely, the outside of the pub 'Bunnán Buí' is actually the pub in Ballinahinch, but the inside is the pub in Killoscully. While the Bally boys' pub is the opposite. (The outside is Ryan's in Killoscully, and the inside is Bunnnán Buí in Ballinahinch.)

Das Right.

Pascal Brennan

I know growing up in East Down we all called Belfast lads 'Frankies' while the girls were called 'Millies'. Generally 'Frankie B*****d's' was the most common term used. Newry girls of questionable ethics were also called Newry Nucks. I'm married to a langer and she and her ilk had never heard of going for a dander (walk).