New Down talent.

Started by 5 Sams, October 06, 2014, 10:42:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

Right lads. McCorry has made a call for clubs to nominate players for the county panel for 2015. Yiz are all very quick to pass judgement on Wee James, Seán óg and Séamus Walsh behind your keyboards...so be constructive and let us know who are the new kids on the block who should be drafted in.
The Aristocrat Years

DownFanatic

Pat Havern, Conleth O'Hare and Conaill McGovern have impressed me this year.

In the lower ranks Brian McIlmurray of Drumaness would be worth a trial. Very powerful midfielder.

PAULD123

I'm not sure that there are a load of new players to be found. I think the drafting in is more from the squad of young players already  there onto the actual first fifteen. I think these players should be worthy of pushing for a place:

Caolan Mooney
Jerome Johnston
Ryan Johnston
Paul Devlin
Niall McEvoy
Ryan Boyle
Ciaran McCartan
Conor Poland
Connor Toner
Shay McCardle
Niall McParland (if fit)
Darragh O'Hanlon

The players I would like to see retained in the starting lineup from the existing team - Laverty, Gordon, McKernan, Garvey, O'Hagan, Mallon.

Some players I would like to see step back a bit from the first team but be kept in reserve to play from the bench if they were willing to take such a role - Poland, Maginn, Coulter, Turley, Carr, Ambrose, Madine, O'Hare

And of course the return of Marty and Paul McComiskey

God14

When you look at that there is serious Talent in Down. Be interesting to see the impact Caolan Mooney makes, incredible underage player.

Walter Cronc

Potentially I think Ryan Johnson is the best of that bunch!

pauly2

I would like to see Danny Savage, Timmy Hanna, Connaire Harrison, Conor Doyle, Ciaran MC Cartan, Conaill Mc govern, Eamon Toner, Pat Havern, Liam Bagnall, Gerard Mc Govern, Ryan Johnston, Stephen Kane, Darragh O'Hanlon all getting a shot.
Conor Maginn should be a regular starter for the county team and the poster who has him as a bit part player above should go watch some bryansford games to see how effective he is. 
I would cut my losses with Dan Gordon, Ambrose, Liam Doyle, Brendan Mc Ardle, Dan Mc Cartan - all good players and have had a great run at it - but its time to go to pastures new. 
I would also have serious question marks over - Kevin Mc Kernan, Conor Garvey, Declan Rooney, Mark Poland - again all good players but the spark was missing with them this season at club level and this is the platform where they need to perform in order to be meriting a call up to county seniors IMO.

elk

I think if Mc Corry wants teams to put forward names he could end up with a list the lenght of his arm. He should already know what players fulfil his requirements in division one so maybe his team and himself should take a look and focus on what has been overlooked in the lower divisions - starting with the Intermediate and Junior finals this weekend. Difinitely think it is time for the County to trust in the young players coming through at club level and try to help develop them as county standard players over the next couple of years.

Brick Tamlin

The problem goes beyond senior players.
Complete review needs to be had of the infrastructure for football development in Down from underage upwards.
Systems in place, personnel in place, the coaching structure, education of coaches etc.
This thread will just serve as a vehicle for people to throw their bias out there with all names under the sun being mentioned.

Ye could mention 100s of names who 'deserve' a shot at the senior panel, but if truth be told, the talent ID process (if it was implemented properly) from development squads and schools football should have already identified 85% of candidates that have the required toolset required to play intercounty standard. Of course there will be that percentage of players that are late developers, or have slipped through the net, or have come out of nowhere to be contenders, but by and large if the structures were in place there wouldn't need to be a widespread scouring of the county for trialists. The bulk should be known to the powers that be before now. In fact id go as far as saying that there should be a dossier of sorts on players that have went through the system from a young age.

johnneycool

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on October 07, 2014, 12:50:01 PM
The problem goes beyond senior players.
Complete review needs to be had of the infrastructure for football development in Down from underage upwards.
Systems in place, personnel in place, the coaching structure, education of coaches etc.
This thread will just serve as a vehicle for people to throw their bias out there with all names under the sun being mentioned.

Ye could mention 100s of names who 'deserve' a shot at the senior panel, but if truth be told, the talent ID process (if it was implemented properly) from development squads and schools football should have already identified 85% of candidates that have the required toolset required to play intercounty standard. Of course there will be that percentage of players that are late developers, or have slipped through the net, or have come out of nowhere to be contenders, but by and large if the structures were in place there wouldn't need to be a widespread scouring of the county for trialists. The bulk should be known to the powers that be before now. In fact id go as far as saying that there should be a dossier of sorts on players that have went through the system from a young age.

Whilst there is a bit of an admin overhead in this process I think its only right that if we're going to select individuals for development squads we need to understand what are the basic building blocks of a senior intercounty hurler/footballer, assess each individual against this criteria, highlight their strengths weaknesses and put in place programs to assist in the development of said youngsters.

What we have at the minute is very much coaching by numbers where each and every youngster is put through the same rigmarole with little or no thought for the individuals needs.

Granted resources are limited, but a little thought and forward planning can take you a long way with very little additional cost.

I'm basing my observations on what I've witnessed with hurling development squads and talking to those who assist in them, but as its the same overall co-ordinator I presume the football ones are off a similar nature.

PAULD123

I understand the point that Connor Maginn has a lot to offer the county. I just think we have six forwards who it would be better to build with going forward. If we keep players in their early twenties on the bench they will just lose interest and we will have no one to replace the likes of Connor Maginn, Benny, Ambrose.... when they retire. I'm not saying that the other players will instantly be better but I believe they will be better in the long-term. That is the reason I would certainly want the likes of Mark Poland and Connor Maginn to stick around and play considerable parts of games to bring experience when needed.

But for my mind I think the ideal six forwards would be:

Connor Laverty, Marty Clarke, Ryan Johnson,
Jerome Johnson, Caolan Mooney, Paul McComiskey

That forward line could be around for three years or more and still only be reaching its peak. But of course if any of them were injured/suspended/or even having a bad game then Connor Maginn would be an obvious choice to be given an opportunity to claim a place.

imagine

Quote from: PAULD123 on October 08, 2014, 08:53:25 AM
I understand the point that Connor Maginn has a lot to offer the county. I just think we have six forwards who it would be better to build with going forward. If we keep players in their early twenties on the bench they will just lose interest and we will have no one to replace the likes of Connor Maginn, Benny, Ambrose.... when they retire. I'm not saying that the other players will instantly be better but I believe they will be better in the long-term. That is the reason I would certainly want the likes of Mark Poland and Connor Maginn to stick around and play considerable parts of games to bring experience when needed.

That forward line could be around for three years or more and still only be reaching its peak. But of course if any of them were injured/suspended/or even having a bad game then Connor Maginn would be an obvious choice to be given an opportunity to claim a place.

How many people on here have actually seen Caolan Mooney play Football?

charlieTully

Any players selected should commit fully. Not hang around for the league then head of to america before championship time. What is the point in joining a panal in the knowledge you will be leaving.

Brick Tamlin

Quote from: imagine on October 08, 2014, 10:45:44 AM

What ware you getting at?

Aristo 60

Saw him in Ennis.  Didn't have a big influence on the game that day but massive pace, quick hands and good direct running.

imagine

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on October 08, 2014, 11:05:26 AM

What ware you getting at?
Quite simply asking who has actually seen Caolan play?