Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

delgany

Quote from: Walter Cronc on May 14, 2022, 02:51:47 PM
Quote from: rosskarr on May 14, 2022, 12:15:47 PM
Teachers are not what they use to be.

Most definitely agree with this. Then again they are probably under more pressure than before. Should counties not take control of coaching in these schools? I think St Mary's Magherafelt have a full time GAA coach - not sure who pays for it. It's resulted in a big upturn in their fortunes - albeit they were always competitive.
St.Marys is a voluntary grammar , manages its own budget , charges a capital fee, pays for coaching expertise,  DOF .

marty34

Quote from: Walter Cronc on May 14, 2022, 02:51:47 PM
Quote from: rosskarr on May 14, 2022, 12:15:47 PM
Teachers are not what they use to be.

Most definitely agree with this. Then again they are probably under more pressure than before. Should counties not take control of coaching in these schools? I think St Mary's Magherafelt have a full time GAA coach - not sure who pays for it. It's resulted in a big upturn in their fortunes - albeit they were always competitive.

I wouldn't say it's down to one person.

This extra person in a school probably helps with coaching but is a big bonus in booking buses, pitches and contacting the other schools etc. A lot of time involved in that I'd say.

Good at helping out with the coaching but players/students coming to the school must be of a decent standard also.

Johnnysboys

[/quote]

What extra pressure are they under now that wasn't there in years gone by? I just think the excuses made are a joke. If you are working in a school PE department steeped in GAA tradition - you have to step up. Simple as that. Why would the county take control of this? That would be like Man Utd sending coaches into every school in Manchester to take coaching sessions while the teachers sit on their backsides doing nothing.

rosskarr

Quote from: Johnnysboys on May 14, 2022, 10:44:21 PM

What extra pressure are they under now that wasn't there in years gone by? I just think the excuses made are a joke. If you are working in a school PE department steeped in GAA tradition - you have to step up. Simple as that. Why would the county take control of this? That would be like Man Utd sending coaches into every school in Manchester to take coaching sessions while the teachers sit on their backsides doing nothing.
[/quote]
   Don't be a doting daddy.It is what it is.Sh-te!

snoopdog

Away to Cavan in the Tailteann. That's tge season over.

thewobbler

Quote from: snoopdog on May 16, 2022, 09:17:06 AM

You'd imagine so, especially without home advantage. But given that Cavan slid to d4 recently with a team that was good enough to win Ulster, there's potential for motivation issues in Breffni too.

Truth hurts

I can see us taking Cavan, they are nothing to fear.

Six games into the league and they are starting to take shape. The big 4 seem to have started well and  no surprise they are at the top. CPN are starting to get players back and will climb as will Carryduff. Ballyholland failed in their first two tests against top opposition. Rostrevor and Castlewellan looked doomed and I think it will be between Bryansford, Loughinisland, RGU and Ballyholland to fight out the remaining 2 relegation spots.
Bredagh are flying high and we will have 2 Belfast teams in the top flight next year.
Newry Shamrocks will coast to the second division which is what Down needs.
Drumaness with their win on Friday will come back into division 3, a club with so much potentiall.

There was always DNF in reserve football but this season just seems crazy. The longer away the travel the more chance it is to not field. Reserve leagues should be played in North/Lecale, mourne, South and the West of the county with county semi finals of premier and reserve.

downtothecore

Yeah first six games in div 1 have been interesting but it looks kilcoo Burren and clonduff in that order for the championship. Burren and kilcoo has been the best game so far I seen and it will be tight if they meet in the championship. Clonduff if they can get everyone available will cause most teams problems.
As for our county team I think it best this season is brought to a close asap. Our county setup needs to reset.

rosskarr

Quote from: thewobbler on May 16, 2022, 09:24:32 AM
Quote from: snoopdog on May 16, 2022, 09:17:06 AM

You'd imagine so, especially without home advantage. But given that Cavan slid to d4 recently with a team that was good enough to win Ulster, there's potential for motivation issues in Breffni too.
They won the Div 4 title and put up a credible performance against Donegal in the Ulster semi-final
last weekend.Our season will be finished after the Cavan match.
If Down GAA are serious about improving our fortunes at Senior Football Level  they'll need to appoint a Rory Gallagher type Manager.

Truth hurts

One of the aristocrats of Down club football cannot field a seconds team for the last two weeks. How can Bryansford be struggling for numbers?

SamFever

Quote from: Truth hurts on May 16, 2022, 01:43:53 PM
One of the aristocrats of Down club football cannot field a seconds team for the last two weeks. How can Bryansford be struggling for numbers?
Aristocrats?Where do you get all these terms and ideas from?Regional reserve leagues?

Truth hurts

Quote from: SamFever on May 16, 2022, 04:17:22 PM
Aristocrats?Where do you get all these terms and ideas from?Regional reserve leagues?

Yes with a play off of the winners and runners up to win all county league. If you look at the DNF for the weekend, Bryansford not traveling to Carryduff, Saval not going to Loughinisland and Annaclone not traveling to Downpatrick. Less travel for reserve players means a better chance the fixture will be played.

Mourne Red

Quote from: Truth hurts on May 16, 2022, 04:43:04 PM

Yes with a play off of the winners and runners up to win all county league. If you look at the DNF for the weekend, Bryansford not traveling to Carryduff, Saval not going to Loughinisland and Annaclone not traveling to Downpatrick. Less travel for reserve players means a better chance the fixture will be played.

There was a foreign cup final that day - I dare say those clubs are full of supporters of the team in red, reason for DNFs I'd wager

6th sam

This is a fair point, and initial local leagues with all county playoffs may work better

thewobbler

Quote from: 6th sam on May 16, 2022, 05:16:24 PM

This is a fair point, and initial local leagues with all county playoffs may work better

I've said this for years. The fear of an opponent no-show directly impacts on your own chances of fielding.

There's a period of 15-20 mins either side of half an hour before throw in when you are literally willing your opponents to arrive. I've had players steadfastly refuse to change / warm up until they see at least 5 opposition cars arrive.

But worse, so much worse again. Driving for an hour to arrive, and find out the host team is struggling to scrape together a side.