Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SamFever

County panellists not happy about not being allowed to play for their Clubs this weekend.After this week's walkout of 4 players,it's not looking too good.

Johnnysboys

McEvoy was very badly behaved in the dressing room after the Monaghan game I hear. A very arrogant young man to speak to a multiple all Ireland winner the way he did.

wobbller

Quote from: wobbller on May 04, 2022, 09:44:57 PM
While it's probably not decent to be criticising the Down Senior set-up on here anonymously it's definitely out of order to be doing in a National Newspaper especially when he has never been in or around a County set-up.Kilcoo keep on doing what they have always done and that's pis-ing people off.
Low action by EB.
Zero respect of the Managers from this group of players.Unfortunately but this is the reality of this current panel.James McCartan and his back room team haven't helped in this with their lack of engagement from day one.
   The world has changed and Managers need to change with it to stop what
has happened with this whole set up since their appointment.

Truth hurts

Quote from: wobbller on May 12, 2022, 08:31:25 AM
While it's probably not decent to be criticising the Down Senior set-up on here anonymously it's definitely out of order to be doing in a National Newspaper especially when he has never been in or around a County set-up.Kilcoo keep on doing what they have always done and that's pis-ing people off.
Low action by EB.
Zero respect of the Managers from this group of players.Unfortunately but this is the reality of this current panel.James McCartan and his back room team haven't helped in this with their lack of engagement from day one.

It's hard to like this group tbh and I feel sorry for James and the likes of Darren O'Hagan who has been a stalwart for years. We've all seen the pics from a Saul man and Kilcoos man socials after the defeat v Monaghan and they were embarrasing. Players being taken off after being roasted and then throwing the dummy out shows the disrespect they have for the county.

clubman21

Quote from: Truth hurts on May 12, 2022, 09:37:41 AM
Quote from: wobbller on May 12, 2022, 08:31:25 AM
Low action by EB.

It's hard to like this group tbh and I feel sorry for James and the likes of Darren O'Hagan who has been a stalwart for years. We've all seen the pics from a Saul man and Kilcoos man socials after the defeat v Monaghan and they were embarrasing. Players being taken off after being roasted and then throwing the dummy out shows the disrespect they have for the county.
Have we all? Fill me in

johnnycool

I see the new Down GAA coaching and Games development plan for 2022 - 2027 presentation is out to the clubs for review and to presented tonight in the Burrendale.

By the looks of it we're going cap in hand to Croke Park with a plan and we're entirely right to do so.

As I said in our place, these plans aren't worth my arsé full of warm snow unless they translate out onto the green grass in a meaningful way.

6th sam

Quote from: johnnycool on May 12, 2022, 10:05:57 AM
I see the new Down GAA coaching and Games development plan for 2022 - 2027 presentation is out to the clubs for review and to presented tonight in the Burrendale.

By the looks of it we're going cap in hand to Croke Park with a plan and we're entirely right to do so.

As I said in our place, these plans aren't worth my arsé full of warm snow unless they translate out onto the green grass in a meaningful way.

Have read it through club correspondence. A lot of work done , ambitious plans based on evidence around player development. This is the type of initiative we need and all try to get it on the green grass as u say JC. Hopefully the shot in the arm Down GAA needs,  we are in a good position to become a power again but it will take a patience, commitment and a unity of purpose.

rafla ta se

word this morning is Mooney walked last night?  not available saturday - asked to play for club tomorrow night told no and away he went

Posted by: bigarsedkeeper
« on: May 11, 2022, 12:29:25 PM »Insert Quote
Quote from: Mourne Red on May 11, 2022, 12:12:19 PM
Who were the 4 that walked off the panel? Don't blame them with the Tier 2 cup as they can play with clubs and have a life

The Gaelic Life named Ryan McEvoy, Gerald Collins, Corey Quinn and Charlie Smyth

Truth hurts

can you post it please?

downtothecore

Very disappointing situation with our county football teams.  It would be great to see everyone pulling together for the cause, everyone willing to make themselves available and having packed grounds of the red and black. Here is hoping.

thewobbler

You know folks, sometimes seasons just fall apart.

Usually the best thing everyone can do is just accept it, reach the end of the season as quickly as possible, take a break from each other, and come back with charged batteries and focus.

Withholding players from clubs during the Tailteann Cup is, in my mind, madness. Actually, training for this competition is madness. There is no thirst for it among players, supporters, managers or administrators. Forcing players to choose between club competitions they really want to play in (most of them anyhow) and county competitions they are meh about, well that's just daft.

So just send the players back to their clubs, and field a team in Tailteann when the day comes.

johnnycool

Quote from: Truth hurts on May 12, 2022, 11:20:42 AM

can you post it please?

It's a PPT.

Speak to you club secretary, they'll have it.

Mourne Red

Quote from: thewobbler on May 12, 2022, 12:35:59 PM
You know folks, sometimes seasons just fall apart.

Usually the best thing everyone can do is just accept it, reach the end of the season as quickly as possible, take a break from each other, and come back with charged batteries and focus.

Withholding players from clubs during the Tailteann Cup is, in my mind, madness. Actually, training for this competition is madness. There is no thirst for it among players, supporters, managers or administrators. Forcing players to choose between club competitions they really want to play in (most of them anyhow) and county competitions they are meh about, well that's just daft.

So just send the players back to their clubs, and field a team in Tailteann when the day comes.

+1 On TheWobs side for once on here lol

Truth hurts

I think James is weeding out the bluffers, for Down to improve they need to create a culture of pride and not egos. A few lads think they are too good even though they have failed to perform. When you have a fall out with every manager you play for then you have to evaluate whether they are you are the root cause of the problem.

SticksandStones

From what I thought, i always would have thought Mooney as much more of a county man than a club man, from the impression I got anyway he seemed to care much more about Down GAA than rostrevor, so im rathered suprised that he would have walked from the county over not being able to play for Downpatrick. This may be the case indeed, but im still a tad suprised