Previous topic - Next topic

thebar

Quote from: Smurfy123 on August 12, 2017, 04:57:21 PM
It's the talk of the county
You need to get out a bit more

If you knew that much you'd know what time it was on at

Smurfy123

thewobbler

Championship R1 weekend has become both a non event and unnecessarily unfair on players with both a) the timings of matches, and b) the potential for a 5 day turnaround for the next championship match.

I'd like to make a recommendation for Down club football.

Either:

1. Go back to straight knockout championships.

Or

2. Play all of the round 1 matches as double headers simultaneously on a Sunday at 2pm then 4pm. Then likewise the following weekend for R2. Once we are down to 8 teams, spread them out over a weekend again so everyone can attend all matches.

charlieTully

farcical situation a match going on to 10pm on a Sunday night, why couldn't they have been played at 5pm and 7pm? No atmosphere whatsoever, a non event as described above.

downjim

It's hard to read into any of the games this weekend. It's still Kilcoos to lose but there are 4/5 that could mount serious challenges in the coming weeks.

Targetman

I think we all know the championship doesn't really start until the quarterfinals, the early rounds are lacking intensity or even interest from spectators, last nights game being a prime example, do you think we should go back to the old way, lose and you're out?

thewobbler

Quote from: Targetman on August 14, 2017, 01:32:31 PM
I think we all know the championship doesn't really start until the quarterfinals, the early rounds are lacking intensity or even interest from spectators, last nights game being a prime example, do you think we should go back to the old way, lose and you're out?

Now we've dabbled in it for a few years, surely the only clubs that would be hellbent on retaining a back door would be the top 3-4 sides in the county?

Championship football really has to be cruel to be entertaining.

gaaman2016

Completely agree. Knockout far more intense and enjoyable for spectators. Unfortunately here to stay though as Co Board are not going to be willing to forfeit a revenue stream.

thewobbler

Quote from: gaaman2016 on August 14, 2017, 02:43:32 PM
Completely agree. Knockout far more intense and enjoyable for spectators. Unfortunately here to stay though as Co Board are not going to be willing to forfeit a revenue stream.

If the clubs motion it and approve it, then it's the county board's role to apply it.

6th sam

Quote from: gaaman2016 on August 14, 2017, 02:43:32 PM

As I understand it , the only reason for spreading the games over the weekend is logistically it would be impossible to service each game with officials , if they were squeezed in to 2 days.
A quick calculation shows that a knockout system provides 15 fixtures in the SFC, whereas the current structure provides 27 fixtures. That's 12 extra fixtures to provide the enjoyment and exposure to championship football for players and spectators in every club. The removal of league playoffs( which in my view is unfair under the current starred system) has already taken away some marquee fixtures.
Our special championship fixture occasions over recent years, have contributed to unearthing valuable Intercounty players e.g. Connaire Harrison, Shea Millar, etc. My club was beaten in the championship yesterday but at least our players and spectators have another day out, which undoubtedly serves to elongate interest among players and supporters in all clubs. This is vital for games promotion in clubs. This system has been in place for a number of years, and the second chance structure has in no way demeaned or lessened the intensity of the business end of the season. I am sure many of those present last night , for example, will still enjoying the final stages in the autumn.
I genuinely think that financial gain was not top of the  agenda when this structure was formulated  . However, those that criticise the county board for financial mismanagement, can hardly criticise that same county board for generating income from paying supporters who are sufficiently interested in our championships , to put their hands in their pockets.

thewobbler

All fair points 6th Sam.

But there's little reason why the format for the first two weekends couldn't be streamlined. I take your point about County Board officials, but if you play games in places with one entry point like Hilltown, Drumgath, Downpatrick, St Johns, then they only need couple of officials at a match; one in the gate, one on the sideline. Rest of it  can be handled by club volunteers.

I'd suggest:

Saturday: 4 venues spread across the county. Each with an IFC game @ 2pm and an SFC game at 4pm.
Sunday: 4 venues spread across the county. Each with an IFC game @ 2pm and an SFC game at 4pm.

With some effort made to ensure that the host clubs on Saturday get a Sunday fixture, and vice versa.

All done in two days. More importantly clubs and players can plan ahead knowing it'll be a weekend fixture they don't have to take time off work for, and with at least 6 days rest. Plus families who go to Matches wouldn't have to keep their wains up to 10pm+

6th sam

Quote from: thewobbler on August 14, 2017, 05:50:27 PM
All fair points 6th Sam.

But there's little reason why the format for the first two weekends couldn't be streamlined. I take your point about County Board officials, but if you play games in places with one entry point like Hilltown, Drumgath, Downpatrick, St Johns, then they only a couple of officials at a match. Rest of it  can be handled by club volunteers.

I'd suggest:

Saturday: 4 venues spread across the county. Each with an IFC game @ 2pm and an SFC game at 4pm.
Sunday: 4 venues spread across the county. Each with an IFC game @ 2pm and an SFC game at 4pm.

With some effort made to ensure that the host clubs on Saturday get a Sunday fixture, and vice versa.

All done in two days. More importantly clubs and players can plan ahead knowing it'll be a weekend fixture they don't have to take time off work for, and with at least 6 days rest. Plus families who go to Matches wouldn't have to keep their wains up to 10pm+

Totally agree, if it's workable , it's more user friendly to have them all Saturday /Sunday /+/- Friday night...not least shift workers who might find it difficult to get off on a Thursday  or Monday at short notice.
Just to clarify, When I referred to officials I meant match officials. However, I know  existing the Thursday-Monday commitment for referees is a nightmare anyway . Back to back matches over shorter timeframe with match officials doubling up ( though changing roles ) , would probably be best.

RadioGAAGAA

On Ballykinlar.

The general road network in Down is shite. The one good road (A1) runs down the side of the county and is of no use to the vast majority of players.

Its not like Tyrone with the motorway/dual carriageway. Its not like Dublin with roads galore. I'm not even sure we should be looking to simply copy them - I'm very unconvinced it'll work.

What is the purpose of a "centre of excellence"?

Is it for the county senior team to work on handling/kicking a ball, or is it to work on fitness or is it both? Or what about underage/club teams to benefit from general sports science? If its county team fitness and general youth development, why bother dragging everyone to one location? Is a single centre the way to go at all? Would there be more joy out of building two gyms (say at Hilltown and Downpatrick) and getting on with it that way? [With the squad of folks "managing" county teams these days, surely splitting up the group for half the weekly sessions isn't the logistic nightmare it once would have been.]

Anyway, assuming a single centre is what the masses desire...

The geographical centre of the county would be somewhere around Slieve Croob.
The centre of where we draw most of current players would likely be around Hilltown.
The best long term single location would be Castlewellan (with apologies to those from St. Pauls, Carryduff and Bredagh that make the county panel now and in the future!).
If you wanted to compromise out the latter two, then would it not be worth looking at the land around Owen Roe Park? There is a rake of land to the right of the lane down to the existing Kilcoo pitches. OK, not the flattest in the world, but two and half pitches have already been built on similar ground.

Still, not convinced any of the above would work. Really, IMO, the county needs a dual carriageway running from Newry, through Castlewellan to Downpatrick and up to Belfast. Will never happen with the clowns (not) on the (Stormont) Hill though.
i usse an speelchekor

Targetman

Can't see the co.boards finances stretching to supplying a motorway network leading to ballykinlar!!

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Targetman on August 14, 2017, 10:37:59 PM
Can't see the co.boards finances stretching to supplying a motorway network leading to ballykinlar!!

I know, I'm just pointing out that a major difficulty in our county is the generally poor road links. Something which is completely outside the county board's control. So we shouldn't be drawing direct comparisons to Tyrone or to Dublin.
i usse an speelchekor