Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gaaman2016

Quote from: passedit on February 13, 2017, 12:22:35 PM
Quote from: hardstation on February 13, 2017, 11:56:36 AM
Antrim tried both of those boys......

Which is exactly where Down are headed. Anyone who thinks a change of management is the answer probably thinks you can stand on top of Mount Etna and put it out with a fire hose.

Agreed, likly to be Division 3 and possibly 4. A big problem nowis that confidence is shot and there is a lack of experience both on the line and on the field to correct it. A change in manager may or may not help but it is pretty clear that the management are out of their depth at intercounty level

Mourne Red

Youthful and Energetic manager is what Down need. Players need an arm round them told the potential they have... Don't know if anyone seen the Image that Derry GAA posted on Twitter, the catchment area of Slaughtneil to St Vincents, all about instilling belief in Players. And fans leaving 10/15 minutes a match is over doesn't f'n help.. Me personally having been to a few of his coaching days and watched him on the sideline.. Although he seems to have his critics on this board, Poacher be my shout

Brick Tamlin

A man from Down

My word.....Coaching days now, so thats the mark of a good manager?

Everyone is talking about who is going to replace the manager but he hasn't gone yet lads. God only knows what the County Board will do anyway after the bizzare decisions around the management ousting/appointing in the last 18 months.

The only hope is that the minors and Under 21s can make a major improvement on previous years. We finally get a home championship game and against our greatest rivals (soon to be replaced by Antrim) and we should be chomping at the bit but instead its all about hoping that we won't get a hammering.

I loathe to criticise the input of volunteers and amateur players but we must have one of the worst Senior County Football setups in the country and as harsh as this sounds it is backed up by results and the fact that there are a lot of players who will not commit. 

thewobbler

Quote from: passedit on February 13, 2017, 12:22:35 PM
Quote from: hardstation on February 13, 2017, 11:56:36 AM
Antrim tried both of those boys......

Which is exactly where Down are headed. Anyone who thinks a change of management is the answer probably thinks you can stand on top of Mount Etna and put it out with a fire hose.

Maybe you're right passedit.

But from time to time everything in this world needs a quick fix before it can be attended to properly.

Our senior county players need a shot in the arm. Basically they need a win or else they will free fall, head down in D3. Maybe if we ride this out for another few weeks that win will happen naturally. But there's not much evidence of that happening. It looks like the stimulation needs to come from outside.

SamFever

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on February 13, 2017, 10:50:24 AM
What or who is your suggestion then Samfever?

I have to say its bloody surreal to see all the chat around this in here.
The whole thing is a disgrace on so many levels.
Either of the Jim's.McGuinness or Gavin of which there is no chance.

Time for an Emergency meeting of our County Board.We cannot stand idly by
at this time! Heads need to roll either voluntarily or by the democratic process.

Lecale Gael

quick question.....

who were the two best midfielders in the all county division 1 last season ?

2016 Prediction Competition 3rd place :)

Rodders88

Lads...the state Down football at the minute is all down to the county board. First of all, the counties finances are a mess, haven't a pot to piss in and we all know the reasons why.

Eamon Burns by all accounts is a genuinely nice fella, heard this from many a person but is in no way a senior county manager. Nothing on his record as a club manager stands out and he should never have got the job in the first. Probably doesn't rock the boat with the county board, which they are happy with.

The way Jim McCorry was pushed to the side was a disgrace. Gets Down to the 1st Division in his first season, all be it with a bit of luck. The Championship was a tough one but done enough to suggest that he should have got another year. If McCorry was still in charge, our prospects would be a lot better.

gaaman2016

Quote from: Lecale Gael on February 13, 2017, 01:42:16 PM
quick question.....

Dan Gordon is still the best midfielder in the county and is by a country mile even at 33/34. Not sure anyone in Div 1 would come close.

Peter Turley and Aidan Carr who are now well into their 30's are considered the counties best available midfielders. They wouldn't even have gotten close to selection at midfield several years ago, yet now in the twilight of their intercounty careers, they are being asked to play midfield.

Jonathan Flynn who has played all year at midfield, I don't believe  has ever played midfield for his club. Flynn has years on his side at 22 and hopefully with experience can be molded into a good inter-county player, but I would see him as more of a half-back/defensive half forward than a midfielder at the minute.

stiff breeze

Quote from: Lecale Gael on February 13, 2017, 01:42:16 PM
quick question.....

Niall Mc Parland and Cathal Magee when he played there .

Cb66

Dan Gordon and Niall McParland would be the dream. Two big, mobile fellas who can play.

Smurfy123

I think we need more than a midfield.The forward line in general is poor.
How many of the current panel would start for Tyrone?Mckernan Johnstone?
Have the county players met up tonight?

pointman2

Quote from: OgraAnDun on February 13, 2017, 11:40:18 AM
Quote from: Lecale Gael on February 13, 2017, 11:39:47 AM
Quote from: downjim on February 13, 2017, 12:58:25 AM
Frank Dawson is also another option

you have lost the right to add further to the debate with that suggestion  :o

Some genius on Hoganstand was suggesting Jody Gormley.
A mate from Armagh offered McGeeney as he may be available soon!

downjim

Could Frank Dawson and Stevie Poacher work? Experience and youth combined

SamFever

Quote from: interested on February 14, 2017, 01:55:51 AM
From the gospel that is the Irish News,Cahir has done his homework on this article,plenty of what must be insider info; I read the Irish News Stateside every night after the children go to bed.Down should enter the Connaught Championship and play us once a year.

http://www.irishnews.com/sport/2017/02/14/news/cahair-o-kane-burns-can-t-be-excused-but-down-s-malaise-runs-much-deeper-931084/
It's hardly inside info when the world and their Granny know the issues except the the ones on the County Board.
  As for Downjim's suggestions.Say nothing.The 2 b's 'holland and 'martin,can hold them tight and don't let go PLEASE