Saying the rosary doesn't work. Fact

Started by smelmoth, August 27, 2017, 04:37:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Quote from: Rossfan on August 31, 2017, 10:18:43 AM
Many protestants playing gaelic football in Tyrone?

You all keep making APM's point.

rosnarun

this thread is a good representative of all that is wrong with the internet,
it should be saved in a museum with the label how social media Died
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

The Iceman

Quote from: rosnarun on August 31, 2017, 10:45:46 AM
the board is a joke these days. I really only read posts now and rarely contribute.  I lie the banter with the lads on the NFL fantasy football thread and read the local gaa news but it's hard to interact otherwise.
Theres a lot of lads with axes to grind and old arguments that were never settled that spill in to every thread.
The ongoing anti-religion theme running through everything is saddening.  A lot of ones arguing for the sake of it and commenting just to get a rise out of ones.
Everyone needs to take responsibility  - we're all part of the problem but we're all part of the solution too.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

J70

Quote from: omaghjoe on August 31, 2017, 05:28:48 AM

Your moving the goalposts to fit your antirelgious bias
Tony said it was the Catholic players not "raised Catholic" so our discussion is based on that.
If a player adheres to a believe system its entirely appropriate for the manager to ask them to fulful it as well as he can.
Doing so would more likely have a player who's head is in the right place, more likely to get maximum performance for the player and more likely to get maximum performance for the team. It a save assumption not an arrogant one, whats different now than the 60s?

Sports Psychology would be considered the same as any other preparation technique whether that be diet, S&C or team training, if you decided you arent gonna  do it cos you dont believe it would be any use you would end up like me when I was a minor out on your hole.

There's not a manger in the country would stand for 2nd guessing his techniques on training psychology, team building, routines or anything else, sometimes players have to sacrifice part of themselves as individuals for the good of the team.

As for telling Mickey Harte to stick his rosary up his hole without recriminations catch yourself on FFS, any insult like that carrys consequences. Look at Kevin Cassidy / JMG incident, Cassidy did less than insult the manager and I thought JMG was wrong but you couldn't argue with the end result.

I would say that what is different now than in the 60s, to state the obvious, is that the position of religion as a foundational stone of society and well being is no longer a given. Whatever excuse Stein might have had back in the day when most people practiced their given faith and active participation far exceeded non-participation, could not be considered valid today. Unless you are going to tell me that the 25-30 lads who make up the Tyrone Senior Football squad and its management are some statistical anomaly in an era of plummeting catholic participation in Ireland, then it is obvious that Mickey Harte is arrogantly presuming that all these lads are either comfortable with being made say the rosary before game or doesn't give a shite if they're not (if that is what he is in fact doing and is making everyone take part).

We are not talking about standards of fitness, diet, staying off the drink, practicing your skills, learning the tactics, or even talking to a trained professional psychologist about your issues and life. Those are all part and parcel of sports management, no matter where in the world you are.

There are plenty of ways to foster team unity and identity without assuming that an issue as contentious and personal as religion is the medium through which to accomplish it.

And, honestly, its very short sighted. I wouldn't allow my kids to play for a man who made them take part in a religious ceremony as a condition of being on the squad. I wouldn't accede to it for myself. We looked into having my son join the US boy scouts last year, but the declarations they required in terms of belief in a god and so forth quickly dispelled any such notions. Their loss.

J70

Well sure why don't you instruct us on how it should be done and where we are going wrong?

Esmarelda

Your posts are a good indication of what's wrong with our education system. It's the first word of a sentence that has the capital letter, not the last.

Social media died because people on a forum argued with each other? Would that not be one reason as to why it thrives?

I see good arguments being made on both sides. Well played everyone.

APM

I would disassociate myself from the religion-bashing on here.  What religious beliefs I have are my own and I feel no need to express them here.  It is perfectly possible to be religious, but to understand that many people don't share your beliefs or would be annoyed if I took to insisting that we pray together.  Ask yourself how you would feel if you heard that the Ulster rugby coach insisted on holding hands and singing psalms together before games?   

seafoid

You can't pray reality to do what you want. Ask Tyrone  . You cannot make people act coherently. But you can change the way you see things.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

thejuice

Next year Andy and the lads will be sacrificing a young bullock on the keystone at Newgrange during the summer solstice.

We'll probably be out of Leinster at that stage but it might get us through the backdoor if Lugh looks upon us favourably after that. He wasn't happy with Tayto crisps that's for sure.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

rosnarun

Quote from: Esmarelda on August 31, 2017, 02:12:30 PM
Your posts are a good indication of what's wrong with our education system. It's the first word of a sentence that has the capital letter, not the last.

Social media died because people on a forum argued with each other? Would that not be one reason as to why it thrives?

this is not argument this is people Gainsaying and bullying and belittling anyone who does not agree with them .
and your reduction of my point to one of misspelling just give me that warm glow of Confirmation Bias

If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Hardy

Quote from: rosnarun on August 31, 2017, 03:36:46 PM

this is not argument this is people Gainsaying and bullying and belittling anyone who does not agree with them .
and your reduction of my point to one of misspelling just give me that warm glow of Confirmation Bias

In fairness, Mickey probably doesn't even think he's bullying them.

Esmarelda

Quote from: rosnarun on August 31, 2017, 03:36:46 PM

Funny, I feel all warm too.

Your point deserved to be reduced as it was a complete over-statement. The death of social media? And it wasn't misspelling you were guilty of.

seafoid

Quote from: thejuice on August 31, 2017, 03:34:28 PM
Next year Andy and the lads will be sacrificing a young bullock on the keystone at Newgrange during the summer solstice.

We'll probably be out of Leinster at that stage but it might get us through the backdoor if Lugh looks upon us favourably after that. He wasn't happy with Tayto crisps that's for sure.
The centre half back has to have sex with a horse according to Giraldus Cambrensis. He would have been an ancestor of Tommy Walsh.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

easytiger95

Quote from: The Iceman on August 31, 2017, 12:23:25 PM
the board is a joke these days. I really only read posts now and rarely contribute.  I lie the banter with the lads on the NFL fantasy football thread and read the local gaa news but it's hard to interact otherwise.
Theres a lot of lads with axes to grind and old arguments that were never settled that spill in to every thread.
The ongoing anti-religion theme running through everything is saddening.  A lot of ones arguing for the sake of it and commenting just to get a rise out of ones.
Everyone needs to take responsibility  - we're all part of the problem but we're all part of the solution too.

The divide on the board is not about the religious v anti religionists, it is about people who believe that rationalism and logic should supercede irrationalism, non-evidence based beliefs (which covers a huge swath of areas beside religion) and cultural/social/religious discrimination in human relationships and interactions.

The fact of the matter is, that there are plenty of people with religious faith who reside in the former category as well as atheists, whilst, unfortunately, the latter category is almost exclusively made up of members who claim a strong faith in God. Which makes it easy to frame an argument about rational choices as an attack on religion.

I do agree that the board has gone to hell (figuratively, not literally - I'm a card carrying agnostic). And men of goodwill should be able to frame an argument about the use of religion without disrespecting the concept of religion (which I believe happened here). Inversely, they should be able to accept that a desire for a fact based discussion is not an attack on faith.

The Jock Stein thing is a complete red herring - we live in a different (and I believe a better) world than 60s Glasgow. An elite athlete walking into a dressing room expects to see elements of sports psychology, whether they want to use it or not (and they should have a choice). However, the use of a specific religious prayer as part of a pre-match routine, is definitely not routine, is not inclusive, and should not be used in that context.

The only excuse for its use would be if the group itself thought it might aid them and suggested it to Harte. Others above have mentioned the unlikely odds of all members of the Tyrone panel being devout Catholics. Again, if you reside in a non-rational world, you will ignore this. You don't have to be religious to reside there.

I doubt it caused Tyrone to lose. That was definitely because God blessed Dublin with some super footballers.

Rossfan

Will the Tyrone players now stop saying the Rosary?
If so will it be because
A they felt it didn't help
B some people on GAAboard said it was wrong
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM