Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Quote from: stiffler on December 30, 2018, 06:43:26 PM
Bailey lucky not to see red and give a penalty away which would have let Bournemouth back into the game.

Gary Bailey?

yellowcard

United would have dropped points in at least one of those 3 matches the way things had spiraled downwards under Mourinho. It's still a longshot to get a top 4 finish but Solskjaer has the players behind him now and the confidence has visibly returned to the side who are playing with less fear.

It's too early to make predictions on Solskjaers long term future but my guess is that he will need either a top 4 finish or a trophy to retain the job on a full time basis. For now it's enough just to win a few matches and score a few goals but bigger tests lie ahead when we will find out more about his capabilities as a manager.

BennyCake

Nobody's talking about the board. The heat has been taken off them. Appointing a manager with a smile on his face, and all the lack of spending/funds etc has all been forgotten.

stiffler

Quote from: BennyCake on December 30, 2018, 07:47:48 PM
Quote from: stiffler on December 30, 2018, 06:43:26 PM
Bailey lucky not to see red and give a penalty away which would have let Bournemouth back into the game.

Gary Bailey?

Aye
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

stiffler

Quote from: BennyCake on December 30, 2018, 11:11:41 PM
Nobody's talking about the board. The heat has been taken off them. Appointing a manager with a smile on his face, and all the lack of spending/funds etc has all been forgotten.

Pretty much sums it up, the common fan happy enough to beat Bournemouth easily but don't see/think about the bigger picture.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Cunny Funt

Quote from: stiffler on December 31, 2018, 01:10:58 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on December 30, 2018, 11:11:41 PM
Nobody’s talking about the board. The heat has been taken off them. Appointing a manager with a smile on his face, and all the lack of spending/funds etc has all been forgotten.

Pretty much sums it up, the common fan happy enough to beat Bournemouth easily but don’t see/think about the bigger picture.
I think most fans know with the boards slowness to sack Mourinho it leaves United's chance of reaching the top 4 slim this season.  They should also know while plenty of money was spent in the last few years too much was spent on a few players and many of them were overpriced. In comparison Man City must have bought twice as many players in the last 3 or 4 years.

Letting the contracts run down on some of the better players and others getting extended contracts when they don't deserve it was proof they have little idea what they were at either. Maybe this football director coming in might change things because clearly the board of business men need guidance on how to run a football club.

magpie seanie

Most United supporters know the owners and the board are to put it mildly, a limiting factor. Ideally clubs like United would have at least an element of supporter ownership like Barcelona but I'm sorry to say I can't now see that ever happening.

A lot of errors have been made by the Glazer regime over the years but the single biggest was the appointment of Mourinho. The time he was at the club was just a massive waste of time and a decision made by people who have no idea what Manchester United is all about. We can only hope the numbskulls who appointed Mourinho never get to make major decisions related to on the pitch activities ever again. I hope the likes of Fergie now get more say in the boardroom until a Director of Football is appointed.

A lot of positives again yesterday. You can see the players are happy being allowed to express themselves, being allowed to be Manchester United players. Pogba yesterday was just fantastic. And all the other players buzzed off him too. He has deserved much of the criticism since he has arrived at the club but I've always maintained that he just needs to be managed correctly and he'll be fine. Nice to see "Welbeck 2.0"  ::) as someone laughably called him here absolutely crushing it again. Really looking forward to seeing his development now continue. On the downside a cheap goal conceded and Bailly was lucky to not give away a penalty at 3-1 and possibly get sent off earlier. His red was warranted.....very poor decsion to lunge in there. Tremendously athletic but that loose cannon stuff yesterday is a concern. United need to add a centre half but it needs to be a dfiference maker - not another average one, there are enough of those there already.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 31, 2018, 10:04:17 AM
Most United supporters know the owners and the board are to put it mildly, a limiting factor. Ideally clubs like United would have at least an element of supporter ownership like Barcelona but I'm sorry to say I can't now see that ever happening.

A lot of errors have been made by the Glazer regime over the years but the single biggest was the appointment of Mourinho. The time he was at the club was just a massive waste of time and a decision made by people who have no idea what Manchester United is all about. We can only hope the numbskulls who appointed Mourinho never get to make major decisions related to on the pitch activities ever again. I hope the likes of Fergie now get more say in the boardroom until a Director of Football is appointed.

A lot of positives again yesterday. You can see the players are happy being allowed to express themselves, being allowed to be Manchester United players. Pogba yesterday was just fantastic. And all the other players buzzed off him too. He has deserved much of the criticism since he has arrived at the club but I've always maintained that he just needs to be managed correctly and he'll be fine. Nice to see "Welbeck 2.0"  ::) as someone laughably called him here absolutely crushing it again. Really looking forward to seeing his development now continue. On the downside a cheap goal conceded and Bailly was lucky to not give away a penalty at 3-1 and possibly get sent off earlier. His red was warranted.....very poor decsion to lunge in there. Tremendously athletic but that loose cannon stuff yesterday is a concern. United need to add a centre half but it needs to be a dfiference maker - not another average one, there are enough of those there already.

It was Fergie who brought Moyes ffs! Let the man relax and enjoy his retirement, he nearly lost his life recently so being more involved would not be his best decision
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Jim Bob

Ole was silly letting Fergie back into the training ground. If this recovery turns into success for the rest of the season who ll get the credit???? Old Whiskey Nose !!!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Jim Bob on January 01, 2019, 01:10:49 PM
Ole was silly letting Fergie back into the training ground. If this recovery turns into success for the rest of the season who ll get the credit???? Old Whiskey Nose !!!

The question is, did he have a choice?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

From the Bunker

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 01, 2019, 01:44:13 PM

I doubt it! There is a fair bit of prosthetics involved with United at the moment. To be fair to keep the fans onside and attract players you have to give an outward image of stability. Clearly Maureen was not giving this. You'd have to wonder at the input from OGS! He's just not long enough at the club to know the ropes. You have to think there is a bigger input from the likes of Carrick. It very clever of the Board to wait until the Liverpool game to give OGS the gig and sack Maureen. I'd say that game was signposted from far out for the changeover and OGS would have known a long time before the event happened. At present OGS is just a pawn to keep things stable and buying time while the Board hunt for a successor.

Boycey

Ferguson also visited training ground under Mourinho..

BennyCake

Quote from: From the Bunker on January 01, 2019, 02:05:17 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 01, 2019, 01:44:13 PM

I doubt it! There is a fair bit of prosthetics involved with United at the moment. To be fair to keep the fans onside and attract players you have to give an outward image of stability. Clearly Maureen was not giving this. You'd have to wonder at the input from OGS! He's just not long enough at the club to know the ropes. You have to think there is a bigger input from the likes of Carrick. It very clever of the Board to wait until the Liverpool game to give OGS the gig and sack Maureen. I'd say that game was signposted from far out for the changeover and OGS would have known a long time before the event happened. At present OGS is just a pawn to keep things stable and buying time while the Board hunt for a successor.

Would agree with that. It's a bit like the Vatican bringing in Francis, the smiley pope, to give the church a bit of good publicity and divert from all its scandals. The board did the same with Ole.

Having said that, I hope he does so well that they won't be able to not give him the role permanently.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Boycey on January 01, 2019, 02:16:15 PM
Ferguson also visited training ground under Mourinho..

....to tell him he was getting the road ......