6 county politics - Its starting to hot up now

Started by Orior, May 21, 2007, 11:42:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SammyG

Quote from: ExiledGael on May 21, 2007, 05:42:32 PM
Using taxpayers money Sammy? Imagine!! He works for the Government
Err he's using taxpayers money for his party political statements, not for government business.
It's the job of a minister in any section of any government, to issue directives to the civil servants working in his departments regarding issues, policies, wording!
100% correct and it is 100% not the job of a minister to use his civil servants to write party political speeches.
this is completely normal.
Is it?
He can't let all the civil servants behind the scenes write his speeches, draft documents etc without him directing them in some way!
See previous answer
This is a story out of nothing
It certainly is, because it will never happen.

SammyG

Update:

I see Conor's now backtracked and said that he was mis-quoted and was just telling people the sort of language he'd be using, rather than expecting them to use it.  ::) As I said earlier, what a knob.  :D

Evil Genius

Quote from: SammyG on May 21, 2007, 07:21:14 PM
Update:

I see Conor's now backtracked and said that he was mis-quoted and was just telling people the sort of language he'd be using, rather than expecting them to use it.  ::) As I said earlier, what a knob.  :D

Or perhaps someone pointed out that if a Civil Servant chose to ignore his diktat and continue to use what could hardly be termed "incorrect" terminology*, any attempt by Murphy to censure or discipline that Civil Servant might be very hard to justify in Court. You know, anti-discrimination laws, employment protection and all that... ::)

* - Political Correctness per se not being a concept recognised by the Courts
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

ExiledGael

He's 100% not using them to write party political speeches either!
It relates to documentation from his government department

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

I always thought Northern Ireland is everywhere above a straight line from Sligo to Dundalk Bay.

I mean, every country in the world has a northern bit, hasn't it?

"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

Billys Boots

Quoteevery country in the world has a northern bit, hasn't it?

Even South Africa.  :-\
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Hardy

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Donagh

A mate who works in Queen's was telling me the other week that staff members received a 'Style Guide' from the university to be used in all correspondence with students and outside bodies. Apparently Queen's can be described as a UK university but staff members should bear in mind that as it was founded when Ireland was a single political entity, it is an Irish university. Instead of using the term 'British Isles' when referring to the islands of the North Atlantic, they should use "these islands" so as not to be contentious.

Evil Genius

Quote from: Fiodoir Ard Mhacha on May 22, 2007, 08:34:05 AM
I always thought Northern Ireland is everywhere above a straight line from Sligo to Dundalk Bay.

No, that would be northern Ireland, or the north of Ireland, if you prefer. Northern Ireland (capital "N") is a proper noun which refers to the illegally occupied six county statelet etc
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: Donagh on May 22, 2007, 11:58:28 AM
Apparently Queen's can be described as a UK university but staff members should bear in mind that as it was founded when Ireland was a single political entity, it is an Irish university.

Indeed. Of course, they might have added that this was the only time when Ireland was a "single political entity", seeing as it was an integral part of the "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland".
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Hardy

Surely Ireland hasn't been a single political entity since 1800. When was Queens founded?

armaghniac

Indeed QUB is an Irish university in a part of Ireland which is in the UK. The one thing it is not is British.

QuoteQueen's University Belfast has a record of academic achievement which stretches back more than 150 years.

Founded by Queen Victoria, the Queen's University in Ireland, was designed to be a non-denominational alternative to Trinity College Dublin which was controlled by the Anglican Church.

The University was made up of three Queen's Colleges - in Cork, Galway and Belfast. Although it was the first University in the north of Ireland, Queen's drew on a tradition of learning which goes back to 1810 and the foundation of the Belfast Academical Institution
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Evil Genius

Writing in the wake of Northern Ireland's 1-0 victory over England (Sept.05), when many Nationalists were apparently hoping that our historic oppressors England would beat their fellow Irishmen the sectarian bigots in the Stadium of Hate, Eamonn McCann made the following observation to explain this new-found appreciation of the residents of the neighbouring island in the archipelago:

"It's because some Nationalists are uneasy at their own acceptance of Northern Ireland that they feel they have to make a show of rhetorical opposition to it.

It is because, in practical terms, they have endorsed the legitimacy of the Northern Ireland State that they denounce symbolic representations of it all the more loudly"

Sums Conor Murphy up precisely, imo.
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Donagh

Still times have changed from when the RUC band played GSTQ at graduations. An "Irish university" located in "these islands", whatever next I wonder... :D