Minor All Ireland Football Championship 2023

Started by Blowitupref, May 26, 2023, 07:18:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

There has been some discussion of venues of late, but on what planet is Kilkenny a good neutral venue for Kerry v Kildare minors?
The minor game wasn't going to get a huge crowd, a good club ground actually somewhere in Tipperary would be sufficed. Perhaps the TV coverage wanted this venue?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Captain Obvious

Monaghan and Derry very impressive.  Semi finals are Derry v Dublin and Monaghan v Kerry, wouldn't rule Ulster All Ireland final.

twohands!!!

Quote from: armaghniac on June 10, 2023, 06:46:24 PM
There has been some discussion of venues of late, but on what planet is Kilkenny a good neutral venue for Kerry v Kildare minors?
The minor game wasn't going to get a huge crowd, a good club ground actually somewhere in Tipperary would be sufficed. Perhaps the TV coverage wanted this venue?

I saw somewhere that Kerry objected - can hardly blame them given the relative distances involved.
I'd say it had to be a TG4 request - having the 2 matches at the same venue would make life much easier for them.

seafoid

It's K and K and K
Minor travelling fans wouldn't qualify for horde status. It's not as sensitive as with armagh seniors.

Schkite

Great performance by Monaghan, some very promising players there. Looks like the standard in Ulster was pretty good this year.

Aaron Boone

Quote from: Schkite on June 10, 2023, 07:19:20 PM
Great performance by Monaghan, some very promising players there. Looks like the standard in Ulster was pretty good this year.

Tyrone had a good team also.

galwayman

Quote from: Aaron Boone on June 10, 2023, 09:05:10 PM
Quote from: Schkite on June 10, 2023, 07:19:20 PM

Tyrone had a good team also.
Yeah Tyrone were very unlucky to get knocked out by Monaghan in the Ulster semi final.

Wildweasel74

blanketattack

The fact that the Kildare seniors nominated Kilkenny as their home venue v Dublin certainly didn't help the optics either.

Interesting minor Championship. Derry and Monaghan are on similar levels and were way ahead of Connaught. So is Ulster extremely strong or is Connaught extremely weak?
Kerry and Dublin are probably on a par based on their performances v Kildare and Cork.
Kerry are improving game on game but will need a huge improvement to beat Monaghan.
I feel it'll be a Derry-Monaghan All-Ireland final

Sleater

At minor level Derry, Monaghan and Tyrone have/had very little between them this year. Derry are the team with the best defence with McEldowney outstanding at CHB and Cahair Spiers also excellent. Sargent at midfield really drives them on too. For the most part with the exception of the ulster final Derry have given up so few scoring opportunities and they demoralise most opposing teams such is their meanness. The ulster minor final was a classic with the editor of the  Gaelic Life tweeting  that there was 27 goal scoring chances. Both team's goalies made incredible saves in the final, especially the Derry keeper who saved at least 3 chances that looked like certain goals. Only Monaghan have really tested Derry though I feel Tyrone would have been their match too. Tyrone were very well coached, had some very strong  running half forwards like Donaghy and had ran up some huge tallies in the ulster championship. Monaghan are a very physical side (which is unusual for them at minor level) with a few outstanding forwards; McGinnity, Finn and Mallen. On Wikipedia it says McGinnity is currently top scorer across the 4 provinces and Finn is also in top 10 (though nearly all of the latters is from play) but Mallen is the player who makes them tick. McGinnity is the son of former 90's Monaghan player Stephen McGinnity who some of ye might remember.  I fully expect Derry to beat Dublin. Monaghan / Kerry will be very close. Wouldn't be surprised at all if it's an all ulster final.

The Hill is Blue

Fantastic finish by Dublin yesterday. With ten minutes to go they trailed by six points and looked dead and buried. But they dug so deep and turned a six point deficit into a three point win. Brilliant
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

straightred

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on June 11, 2023, 11:11:14 AM
Fantastic finish by Dublin yesterday. With ten minutes to go they trailed by six points and looked dead and buried. But they dug so deep and turned a six point deficit into a three point win. Brilliant
The winning goal was a disaster for Cork but well finished by Dublin. The free to tie it was top class. The normal free taker (Cahill) had fluffed one from more or less the same spot just before and Mularkey just strolled over and took the ball off Cahill (who looked relieved:-)) Mularkey then nailed it. He made a huge impact when he came on.

Blowitupref

Quote from: blanketattack on June 11, 2023, 12:20:46 AM

The fact that the Kildare seniors nominated Kilkenny as their home venue v Dublin certainly didn't help the optics either.

Interesting minor Championship. Derry and Monaghan are on similar levels and were way ahead of Connaught. So is Ulster extremely strong or is Connaught extremely weak?
Kerry and Dublin are probably on a par based on their performances v Kildare and Cork.
Kerry are improving game on game but will need a huge improvement to beat Monaghan.
I feel it'll be a Derry-Monaghan All-Ireland final

Connacht while clearly not as strong as last year would not be extremely weak. Was a big gap against the Ulster finalists yesterday in physical stakes and I've seen similar happen in the Hogan cup this year when Omagh CBS powered their way past some decent opposition.   I think if Mayo and Galway was playing against Leinster or Munster finalists yesterday they would be more competitive games.  I also I feel it'll be a Derry-Monaghan All-Ireland final.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Main Street

Quote from: Sleater on June 11, 2023, 09:59:38 AM
At minor level Derry, Monaghan and Tyrone have/had very little between them this year. ......
Maybe now there is little between them but Derry trounced Monaghan earlier in the Ulster Championship group stage, 1-14 to 0-6.
Monaghan have made up a lot of ground and look to be still improving.
I´m gobsmacked by the technical standard and fitness of these kids. For instance, a monaghan lad coverted a 45 against a considerable wind with plenty to spare. Until Beggan came along I don't recall a Monaghan senior converting a 45 this century and that includes Paul Finlay / Conor McManus.

Angus MacGyver

Derry are the team to beat I think, even against Kerry in a final. Monaghan took them to extra time and penalties but needed goals to do it.  Dublin looked beat at the weekend, only for a dodgy decision or two; expect Derry to turn them over. Monaghan themselves are a credit, playing some serious football with a panel picked from fewer than 20 minor club teams. I hope they make the final.