Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cockahoop

So the fact that SKY  are using a good looking blonde Irish girl as there anchor is just a coincidence?? i think not,Joe is 100% right,she was hardly picked for her indepth knowledge of GAA!!Dont be so bloody niave and get over your selfrightous bullshit

BennyHarp

Quote from: cockahoop on May 21, 2014, 10:32:42 AM
So the fact that SKY  are using a good looking blonde Irish girl as there anchor is just a coincidence?? i think not,Joe is 100% right,she was hardly picked for her indepth knowledge of GAA!!Dont be so bloody niave and get over your selfrightous bullshit

No, Peter Canavan and James O'Connor are there for that. She is an experienced presenter with all the credentials to do the job - Brolly knows exactly what he's doing with his cheap dig, trying to discredit the sky coverage before it even starts. The same way he was sniggering about how Jim White etc were pronouncing some of the counties. He's a little bully boy who needs his little cheerleaders like yourself to keep his own profile. If you are suggesting that a woman is incapable of presenting a GAA show then just come out and say it.
That was never a square ball!!

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 21, 2014, 10:22:07 AM
Brolly is not making a point at all. He's insulting the woman for no other reason than his nose is out of joint because maybe RTE will have some real competition now. And having a woman as an anchor is no bad thing at all, if she is knowledgeable about sport and sporting competition. I think Evanne Ni Chulainn would do a good job in that role on RTE as well. Watch this space if the Sky approach is successful.

I don't think that's fair AZ. Sure he said himself it's TV3 plus Baywatch babe and he never had a problem with TV3 having some games. He was against Sky from the start because it was a Murdock corporation and the fact it was behind a paywall. I don't think Brolly gives two hoots about competition.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Walter Cronc

Quote from: BennyHarp on May 21, 2014, 10:37:53 AM

No, Peter Canavan and James O'Connor are there for that. She is an experienced presenter with all the credentials to do the job - Brolly knows exactly what he's doing with his cheap dig, trying to discredit the sky coverage before it even starts. The same way he was sniggering about how Jim White etc were pronouncing some of the counties. He's a little bully boy who needs his little cheerleaders like yourself to keep his own profile. If you are suggesting that a woman is incapable of presenting a GAA show then just come out and say it.

Right Benny ring Sky there and get Cora Staunton on!!

BennyHarp

Quote from: Walter Cronc on May 21, 2014, 10:38:57 AM

Right Benny ring Sky there and get Cora Staunton on!!

I'd have no problem with her as the expert analyst - but does she have any presenting experience?
That was never a square ball!!

AZOffaly

This. +1. She is also a competitive sports person, and has experience in a TV role. Brolly is trying a sneer, as is his default setting, but he's letting himself down badly here.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Jinxy on May 21, 2014, 10:29:54 AM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on May 21, 2014, 10:12:40 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on May 21, 2014, 09:32:10 AM
The primary difference between male and female TV presenters is that female TV presenters have to be good looking.
That's hardly her fault.
She has a competitive sports background, is Irish, works for Sky and seems like an intelligent woman.
Brolly has let himself down badly with that comment.

Why? Is that comment itself not sexist?

That's the reality, not my opinion.

Oh I know it's the reality, do you think it's right though that the eye candy gets the role rather than the most competent woman?
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

AZOffaly

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on May 21, 2014, 10:38:28 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on May 21, 2014, 10:22:07 AM
Brolly is not making a point at all. He's insulting the woman for no other reason than his nose is out of joint because maybe RTE will have some real competition now. And having a woman as an anchor is no bad thing at all, if she is knowledgeable about sport and sporting competition. I think Evanne Ni Chulainn would do a good job in that role on RTE as well. Watch this space if the Sky approach is successful.

I don't think that's fair AZ. Sure he said himself it's TV3 plus Baywatch babe and he never had a problem with TV3 having some games. He was against Sky from the start because it was a Murdock corporation and the fact it was behind a paywall. I don't think Brolly gives two hoots about competition.

TV3 were never going to be competition for Brolly. The disdain he treats the viewers, and the amateur players he is supposed to enjoy watching, are symptomatic of what I believe to be a serious superiority complex on Joe's behalf. No one is as clever, as witty or as insightful as Joe. Tv3, with their small budget and limited reach were never going to be anything other than a second division irrelevance to him. Sky are a different animal, and if they decide to do it right, or if they get positive viewer feedback, he knows they can completely change the face of TV presentation of GAA, including our tired, stale, cynical analysts. I think it's very unlikely that Joe feels that RTE are in an unassailable position any more, and if Sky make inroads and RTE realise they have to lift their game, the performance of Brolly and Spillane, especially, will be something the Head of Sport looks at first off.

Of course if Joe can influence public perception of Sky and make a laugh out of it, or if Sky do a bad job of it, then RTE's position becomes even stronger, and Joe has a mandate to keep on keeping on for years to come. I think that would be a real pity.

cockahoop

talk about twisting things so suit yourself,because i agreed with brolly on this i am one of his little cheer leaders?grow up ffs,did i say that are incapable of presenting?nope,i said i dont think its a coincidence that they picked a good looking irish girl which by the way is decent at what she does,so actually its you thats comes across as a little bully boy

AZOffaly

So what is it that you find bad about this. The fact she's good looking, Irish or is decent at what she does? Or because she is a she? In my view everything you have described her as is either a positive or neutral. No negatives.

Put the point is that Brolly, in his inimitable way, has made this point as a sneer. Calling her a 'Baywatch Babe' implies that she hasn't a clue and is ONLY there because she is good looking.

Look, Sky's approach to this is not exactly puritan, I agree. They know that a pretty woman on TV is a positive, whether we like it or not, but all of their presenters appear to have a good grasp of sport, competitive nature and seem to be very professional.

Walter Cronc

Veronica Corningstone?

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 21, 2014, 10:54:01 AM
So what is it that you find bad about this. The fact she's good looking, Irish or is decent at what she does? Or because she is a she? In my view everything you have described her as is either a positive or neutral. No negatives.

Put the point is that Brolly, in his inimitable way, has made this point as a sneer. Calling her a 'Baywatch Babe' implies that she hasn't a clue and is ONLY there because she is good looking.

Look, Sky's approach to this is not exactly puritan, I agree. They know that a pretty woman on TV is a positive, whether we like it or not, but all of their presenters appear to have a good grasp of sport, competitive nature and seem to be very professional.
She reminds me of Rachel Allen
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

AZOffaly

Also, just to say, Brolly is off the mark with the 'entrenched beautiful anchor' formula. Women presenters are not the norm in the Premier League, the Rugby or Rugby League. The beautiful anchor, tends to be a sky sports news, or maybe a highlights show.

Down Follower

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 21, 2014, 10:56:03 AM
Also, just to say, Brolly is off the mark with the 'entrenched beautiful anchor' formula. Women presenters are not the norm in the Premier League, the Rugby or Rugby League. The beautiful anchor, tends to be a sky sports news, or maybe a highlights show.

Jeez man would you calm down.  You are taking the new PC age a bit too seriously. Brolly is funny, articulate, loves the game, highlights the greatness of our games, and exposes the frailties - he also loves to take the p*** and there is no real harm in that.

orangeman

Joe is brilliant on that Twitter account. He can fair stir.