New TV Help

Started by Rick O Shea, July 05, 2007, 01:35:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick O Shea

Lads & Lasses getting a new TV shortly - its survival of the fittest in our house... once the oldest & smallest starts playing up, the new one comes into the living room and the living room one goes into the kitchen, and kitchen to master bedroom....

Anyway, since i last bought a tv there have been plenty of new advances - LCD, plasma, HD ready... What should i go for & are there any brands i should avoid?

Price-wise, nothing ridiculous like 4 figures, probably around the £500 but i'm quite out of touch i'm not sure that that would even get a good quality TV

Also for wall-mounted tv, are you better getting the wall tracked or can the leads be hidden well enough without the hassle?

Any help would be appreciated.

Dinny Breen

Plasma uses a lot more electricity than LCD, your average LCD use 40 euro a year, a plasma over 200 euro  :o
#newbridgeornowhere

Gnevin

Quote from: Mac Eoghain on July 05, 2007, 02:25:00 PM
I'm the next person, and if you are going above 40" go with Plasma not LCD, technology is still catching up. Below 40" stick to LCD. There is a hell of alot of rebranding in the market, so your unknown brand may well have a good Samsung panel. You'll pay a fortune on your Sonys etc.

This is a great price here for a £500 'Viewpia' which supports 720p and 1080i and turns out to have a Samsung Panel:

http://www.it247.com/Product/7101-LC-40IE11?whence

Fill your boots!

P.S. At £500 its not going to be the best, but it is the cheapest 40" LCD in the UK at the minute

The panels aren't the issue the quality of the screens is
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Long time dead

Yeah recycle your old bottles but f**k the environment up with your big f**k off TV'S. ::) ::)

Gnevin

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 05, 2007, 03:26:16 PM
Plasma uses a lot more electricity than LCD, your average LCD use 40 euro a year, a plasma over 200 euro  :o

Currently it's only about 1/3 more and getting better
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6475_7-6400401-3.html?tag=nav
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Dinny Breen

Only going by the bold Eddie Hobbs in his magazine this month, as usual depends on size and brand....
#newbridgeornowhere

Gnevin

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 05, 2007, 03:51:00 PM
Only going by the bold Eddie Hobbs in his magazine this month, as usual depends on size and brand....
That p***k .Here's a money saving tip , stop making that Muppet richer by buying his mag

The Real Laoislad

I have a 40inch Sony Bravia HD LCD and it's very good couldn't fault it at all
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Rick O Shea

Thanks for all your help lads

majestic

Anyone here got a Sony OLED? thinking of going for the AG9, any recommendations or thoughts?

gallsman

Don't get an Android TV. It's a crap system and needs a complete overhaul.

If you're going to spend that kind of cash on an OLED, get three LG or even the Panasonic. Samsung's QLEDs are every bit as good as them too for picture quality, brightness and blacks.

majestic

Whats so bad about the Android system?

Itchy

If you want to get iptv on your tv buy an LG or Samsung. Other makes will need a separate box, unless they are android.

Milltown Row2

Issues with tv... Toshiba smart tv, have it 3 years or so, everything works fine, until last night the Netflix App has started play up, getting a code: tvq-pb-101 (5.2.102) it looks like it's going to start and even plays the trailers but just when you hit it, it says it's having trouble select something else!

Now it's working off the PlayStation and amazon fire stick on the other TVs in the house, I've turned off And pulled plug from socket, nothing!  Software on tv is up to date!

Any clues as to how to fix it? 
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Main Street

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 28, 2020, 08:13:00 PM
Issues with tv... Toshiba smart tv, have it 3 years or so, everything works fine, until last night the Netflix App has started play up, getting a code: tvq-pb-101 (5.2.102) it looks like it's going to start and even plays the trailers but just when you hit it, it says it's having trouble select something else!

Now it's working off the PlayStation and amazon fire stick on the other TVs in the house, I've turned off And pulled plug from socket, nothing!  Software on tv is up to date!

Any clues as to how to fix it?
I have no ideas but I would join a Toshiba tv discussion group, meanwhile  I'm content that the quality of your manhood is most probably  being questioned again in your household  and  the others are wondering just what are his plus points when he can't even fix the tv himself.
Are you in any way DIY competent?