UVF to decomission

Started by An Fear Rua, June 15, 2007, 05:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Fear Rua

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/6755973.stm

UVF removes its flags from estate 
By Jason Boyd
BBC News Website 

The Ulster Volunteer Force has removed its flags from a County Down housing estate.

The move is being viewed in line with the UVF's commitment last month to "assume a non-military, civilianised, role".

Gary McCready, a community representative in the West Winds estate in Newtownards, said it was a step in the right direction.

"We decided within the estate to try and move forward, get the estate improved, and move away from the name that it had received," he said.

"They've flown there for years and the police have always wanted them down.

"People have complained about them, but they've never been taken down.

"They've always been left to fly, but this year after talking to the loyalists and speaking to the community we've got them down."

At the moment, the UVF has said it will remove the flags from the West Winds estate only, but the organisation has indicated that other community workers could follow their lead.

Newtownards police have welcomed the move.

Constable David Selby said it could "only be viewed as a positive move within the community".

"It's an example of community policing at its finest - working with the various agencies and the community representatives - for the betterment of the West Winds estate," he said.

Its Grim up North

Square Ball

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Square Ball

Quote from: 5iveTimes on June 15, 2007, 06:44:04 PM
Its a step in the right direction.

While I agree its a step in the right direction, its a small one, a very, very very small one, we will see if the flags go up again over the 12th, also lets see if the flags go up in other areas as well, then i will consider jumping for joy.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

SammyG

Quote from: 5iveTimes on June 15, 2007, 06:44:04 PM
Its a step in the right direction.

It is a very small step, but the f**king things should never have been there in the first place.

nifan

I hope they remove the things everywhere and the sooner the better.

Around derry I have noticed a lot of murals of paramilitaries have gone and the sooner the rest go the better.

Rossfan

Why hasnt Gwaytohell put in his spake on this subject???
Is he not upset that only so called Loyalists have guns now in the North East?

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syd

I wonder how many hundred thousand they got for this cosmetic exercise.........

Fluffy Che

l'd say its a good move, cosmetic yes but positive. Small steps hopefully leading to bigger and l think they should be encouraged, even begrudgingly..
Midnight to Six..

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Agreed it has to be welcomed - even though it is a very small gesture! I just have a sneaky suspicion that they may be on the look out for a Government handout just like the UDA.

Problem with the flags thing is that they take one down and its replaced by a dozen "ulster" (sic), english, scottish, welsh and even israeli flags!!
Tbc....