Gaelic Football RIP

Started by High Fielder, July 21, 2018, 06:37:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

When winning is everything then teams will do anything to win.

You can't blame Dublin for getting it right these past few years, the game that became very defensive isnt Dublin's fault, its up to the tacticians to break the current mould, seek players that will play a certain way or fit into a system..
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Hound

I was away, so didn't see it, but heard from a good few fellow Dubs that the U21 final between Kildare and Mayo was a cracking game.  And under the current rules too!

All is not lost.

A super 8 group in a couple of years of Dublin, Kerry, Kildare and Mayo could be awesome  ;D

APM

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 17, 2018, 03:11:30 PM
When winning is everything then teams will do anything to win.

You can't blame Dublin for getting it right these past few years, the game that became very defensive isnt Dublin's fault, its up to the tacticians to break the current mould, seek players that will play a certain way or fit into a system..

Never heard worse!

Nothing to do with Dublin, this has been a gradual decendency into this style of football.  Started with 3rd Midfielder; then the sweeper; then the double sweeper and the blanket; we had Tyrone's swarm; Derry's lockout in 2006, Donegal under McGuinness and we've reached borefest.  You think that the answer lies in tactics.  Tactics might beat Dublin, but they aren't going to provide entertainment.  Tactics have taken us into a cul-de-sac and the only thing to do is to change the rules.

Blowitupref

Quote from: yellowcard on August 17, 2018, 03:00:03 PM
https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/alan-brogan-in-2005-dublin-and-tyrone-tried-to-score-with-every-play-in-2018-it-has-become-a-different-sport-37225574.html

Both teams tried to score with every play.

And both teams operated with the mindset that the best way to win was to run up as big a score as quickly as possible.

There is still a few teams at senior level that play that way and when they are well beaten by the better sides that all play the "modern" way they can't figure out what went wrong.

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Jinxy

The modern football era can be divided into two periods, pre and post Jimmy McGuinness.
What we thought was puke football was actually nothing of the kind.
I'd love to get back to the noughties-era football.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

mrdeeds

Quote from: yellowcard on August 17, 2018, 03:00:03 PM
https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/alan-brogan-in-2005-dublin-and-tyrone-tried-to-score-with-every-play-in-2018-it-has-become-a-different-sport-37225574.html

Good article by Alan Brogan on how the game has changed in a decade. The youtube video of the game he refers to is worth looking at and the contrast in playing style and most notably how muted crowds have become at matches. There is very little ebb and flow to gaelic football anymore, just plenty of crowd conversation as the ball is filtered sideways in possession for long spells. The atmosphere then at the big matches was more akin to hurling now which has maintained is excitement levels.   

You got an advantage to attack if you caught the kickout and later Whelan was surrounded when he landed.

kerryforsam2018

I'm going to link an article that's just full on moaning, it definitely belongs in this thread for moaners and it in no way reflects genuine concerns about Gaelic football. It's just a moanfest that shouldn't be discussed properly on this GAA forum.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breaki...pe-855152.html

omaghjoe

Quote from: Jinxy on August 17, 2018, 03:44:34 PM
The modern football era can be divided into two periods, pre and post Jimmy McGuinness.
What we thought you were told by a jealous Pat Spillane was puke football was actually nothing of the kind.

The naughties were a golden age of football, gone was the age of the hallion that allowed for football subimlity to arise and go forth

Jinxy

There were three dodgy enough years...
If you were any use you'd be playing.

grounded

Quote from: omaghjoe on September 12, 2018, 10:26:57 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on August 17, 2018, 03:44:34 PM
What we thought you were told by a jealous Pat Spillane was puke football was actually nothing of the kind.

The naughties were a golden age of football, gone was the age of the hallion that allowed for football subimlity to arise and go forth

Ah the hallion. The monster who opponents both respected and feared. Also surprisingly skilful. Every team needed one or two. Big Seamus Quigley is as close as a modern day footballer could be.
                Brian Gilligan would eat him for breakfast!
Can we have a Dream Hallion team.

Aristo 60

Franko

2. Kieran McKeever
4. Tony Scullion

grounded

Quote from: Aristo 60 on September 13, 2018, 12:11:50 PM
7. DJ Kane

Good one but probably not quite enough of a hallion. I think I once  seen him receive attention from the physio during one game!

I've a spine of my team here:

To be clear they had to be able to play as well as kicking 2shades of shite out of the opposition so rules the Grimley bros out! The Aussie's would think twice before messing with these boys.

1. Big Finbar mc Connell (Tyrone)

2. Paul higgins(Down).   3. Mick Lyons (meath). 4. Tony Scullion(Derry)
5. CiaranMcKeeverArmagh) 6. Liam Harnan(Meath). 7. Niall Cahalane(Cork)

8. Brian Gilligan(Derry) captain
          9. Brian Mullins(Dublin)

10.          11. Dermot McNicholl(Derry)   12.

13.               14. The bomber liston(kerry)   15. Vinnie Corey (Monaghan)

Dire Ear

1 Finbar McConnell Tyrone !