A United Ireland. Opening up the discussion.

Started by winghalfback, May 27, 2015, 03:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

Yes and the SDLP and Sinn Fein are successful in stopping stunt politics? Classic case today McGuinness offers to attend 12 July celebrations knowing full well OO wont invite him,making him look like a poor innocent victim whose offer was shunned.On and on this shite goes and real political problems are not addressed.

T Fearon

By the way TUV loons get little or no votes from unionist community

T Fearon

Problem is unionists see any concession as not to nationalists but to Sinn Fein.But there are good things happening.DUP mayor of Armagh Banbridge and Craigavon officially welcomed Michael D Higgins to the Tommy Makem centre in Keady recently.A few years ago he'd be protesting about such a visit.Linda Ervine runs full irish classes for unionists etc.Time to stop moping.

general_lee

Who's moping? Other than you?

MMcG didn't offer anything he was asked by a journalist and gave an answer.

And congratulations to the DUP mayor on carrying out his duties. That must have taken a lot of courage  ::)

T Fearon

You have to admit it's a step forward.By the way I cannot see how Sinn Fein can oppose Orange parades anywhere now when one of their most senior members indicates his willingness to attend 12th of July celebrations.

AQMP

Quote from: T Fearon on January 21, 2016, 04:38:20 PM
By the way TUV loons get little or no votes from unionist community

Jim Allister got nearly 76,000 first preference votes in the Euro poll in 2014

T Fearon

He also got into Stormont on the sixth or seventh count to the assembly the last time.One man band at best

smelmoth

Quote from: seafoid on January 17, 2016, 11:56:22 AM
Quote from: T Fearon on January 17, 2016, 11:26:36 AM
Part of the problem here is that neither side really understands the other.Nationalists think unionists are Irish,if they only could realise it,and Unionists think we are all British subjects because that's what the majority wants.
Arlene Foster was in the Irish Times talking about growing up in Fermanagh, the most westerly part of the UK.  WTF
Perhaps she is a geographer or has an atlas?

smelmoth

Quote from: seafoid on January 17, 2016, 10:23:25 PM

I dont think anyone in OWC has thought through the implications of the Tory project to cut government spending to 35% of GDP.
The NHS will be raped. Social spending will be eviscerated

The rate down South is around 42%-

That argument is meaningless in the absence of up to date GDP per capita data and some insight into the relative sustainability of bot the GDP and the percentage committed to social spending

smelmoth

Quote from: seafoid on January 19, 2016, 08:56:12 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on January 19, 2016, 06:41:52 PM
The 6 Cos will never be a separate State.
It will always be an unwanted part of the UK or a quasi autonomous part of an All Ireland political entity.
As for a separate "Northern Irish culture".....
What the Hell does it consist of?
6,000 Orange parades, pissing on Catholic Churches, Willie Frazer, Jamie Bwyson?
I think that would exclude 750,000 people at least from this new Identity/culture.
A very traumatised and Incoherent polity that pretends everything is fine. If NI was a person she'd be Blanche Dubois from a streetcar named desire.

It would be difficult to argue that either NI or RoI was a success post 1922. But the starting point in 1922 cannot be wished away. I don't think anybody has set out a coherent argument that a united, independent Ireland would have been a success in 1922, or would be in 2016, or for that measure the period in between. 

smelmoth

Quote from: general_lee on January 20, 2016, 12:10:00 PM
Apples beat me to it. A unionist in that council area has now come out and said Dungiven is no-go area for Protestants. Whether that statement holds any validity is neither here nor there, the mask has slipped in that the planned development for a new leisure centre was blocked for motives other than "costs"

Neither here nor there?  Shocking stuff

smelmoth

Quote from: No wides on January 20, 2016, 01:43:55 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on January 20, 2016, 01:39:09 PM
Who else is going to fund it? Irish government  can't afford it.Who knows in time we might become self sustainable. I don't see any other option given there is no chance of a United Ireland.

If Norn Iron is going have it's own identity how does that work when the British government influence every facet of life in the occupied six with its funding policy?

Explain to me the UK funding policy for NI?

smelmoth

Quote from: seafoid on January 20, 2016, 02:07:36 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on January 20, 2016, 01:39:09 PM
Who else is going to fund it? Irish government  can't afford it.Who knows in time we might become self sustainable. I don't see any other option given there is no chance of a United Ireland.
why is there no chance of a UI? Unionism is a busted flush
The appetite for a UI is unproven in either NI or RoI. There are certainly plenty who would identify themselves as nationalist in NI but wouldnt actually vote for a UI in a referendum. Nobody is seriously going to fund a full referendum to take it beyond this sort of anecdotal evidence

smelmoth

Quote from: general_lee on January 20, 2016, 04:11:31 PM
Yet it is with the very people at the heart of these disputes that you want to forge a shared identity with? We can't get mutual respect yet here you are advocating that we all join hands and form some new national identity. Mind boggling.

The key there is mutual. There is not enough mutual respect in NI. All of NI has a distance to travel on this one

smelmoth

Quote from: T Fearon on January 20, 2016, 10:08:41 PM
Who knows what anyone's preference will be in 25 years time?

Contemplating bum fun in the winter of your years?