Tyrone V Monaghan AIQF 2015

Started by never kickt a ball, August 01, 2015, 08:20:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron Boone

If Monaghan win it, the big one is within reach.

Schkite

This will be a typically tight Ulster game but there's no reason we shouldn't be confident. Tyrone's forwards won't have as much space and time as they did today, a similar defensive effort to the Ulster final will go a long way to a Monaghan win.

INDIANA

Quote from: Schkite on August 01, 2015, 08:30:47 PM
This will be a typically tight Ulster game but there's no reason we shouldn't be confident. Tyrone's forwards won't have as much space and time as they did today, a similar defensive effort to the Ulster final will go a long way to a Monaghan win.

Mark Conor Mc Manus and Monaghan lose. C'est simple.

orangeman

orangeman

Quote from: INDIANA on August 01, 2015, 08:52:05 PM

Donegal couldn't do it in Ulster final. So easier said than done.

Schkite

Hardly. I suppose because Tyrone don't have a forward of that quality, we shouldn't have to worry about marking anybody too closely.

Schkite

Quote from: orangeman on August 01, 2015, 08:53:43 PM

They did a couple of years ago though and Kieran Hughes was the main man in the Ulster final. McManus did little from play against Kildare last year and McGuinness was the match winner. Sometimes you'd swear McManus and Monaghan were like Declan Browne and Tipp the way some people go on about it. Just because we have a top quality forward, it doesn't mean there's nobody else to take a score. I'd say we've a better spread of scorers these days than we ever had.

INDIANA

Quote from: Schkite on August 01, 2015, 08:58:30 PM

They did a couple of years ago though and Kieran Hughes was the main man in the Ulster final. McManus did little from play against Kildare last year and McGuinness was the match winner. Sometimes you'd swear McManus and Monaghan were like Declan Browne and Tipp the way some people go on about it. Just because we have a top quality forward, it doesn't mean there's nobody else to take a score. I'd say we've a better spread of scorers these days than we ever had.

He did little against Dublin last year as well and look how that ended.

If Tyrone limit him they'll win.

INDIANA

Quote from: Schkite on August 01, 2015, 08:54:08 PM

Hardly. I suppose because Tyrone don't have a forward of that quality, we shouldn't have to worry about marking anybody too closely.

Their other forwards all chip in. Stats speak for themselves.

Redhand Santa

The Monaghan boys have been giving Tyrone abuse for a few weeks now and seem determined to talk themselves up. I'd have thought history would have taught them against this. When you look at what the 2 sets of players and managers have done in croke park you have to favour Tyrone. Ten or twelve boys involved today have won all Ireland's  at some level. We'll not fear Monaghan one bit in what is a season defining game.

Schkite

Quote from: INDIANA on August 01, 2015, 09:25:39 PM
Quote from: Schkite on August 01, 2015, 08:58:30 PM

He did little against Dublin last year as well and look how that ended.

If Tyrone limit him they'll win.

I hardly need to tell you that the current Tyrone and Dublin teams are very different animals. Plus our preparation for this quarter final is much better than last years.

Quote from: INDIANA on August 01, 2015, 09:26:19 PM
Quote from: Schkite on August 01, 2015, 08:54:08 PM

Their other forwards all chip in. Stats speak for themselves.

And so are our other players chipping in too. Like I said we've a better spread of scorers than we've ever had.

macdanger2

omagh_gael

Monaghan favourites for this, however, Donegal's wretched performance in front of the posts in the Ulster final masked a poor enough Monaghan performance IMO. If Donegal were half as poor in front of goal in May we'd have beaten them.

We'll need to step it up a gear or two and be more ruthless, wide tally still far too high in all our games. If we can keep it tight for the first half we stand a good chance.

BennyHarp

This isn't a case of marking Conor McManus and you win and anyone with any credible understanding of how Monaghan have developed over the past 4-5 years would realise this. McManus is a super player and yes Tyrone will have to put a plan in place to deal with the threat as it would be suicide not to. But, we also must work out a way around Monaghan's highly refined system of play, their defensive expertise, their ability to break forward especially from the addition of Karl O'Donnell. They can break from very deep with Dessie Mone and have out and out superb defenders in Corey and Wylie. Malachy o'Rourke knows Tyrone football and will understand what Tyrone have been planning and has a good record in recent games against us. However, I do think Tyrone are progressing nicely and said during the league that if we make it to August we could be dangerous. A real, proper championship match in store, I've my flights booked and can't wait.
That was never a square ball!!