Chelsea fan sorry over Paris Metro incident

Started by never kickt a ball, February 22, 2015, 10:45:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

never kickt a ball

22 February 2015 Last updated at 22:21

An ex-police officer and Chelsea fan has apologised for his part in an alleged racist incident on the Paris Metro - but has denied he is a racist.
Richard Barklie, 50, of Carrickfergus, County Antrim, was identified as one of the people sought by the Met Police.
In a statement, he denied racist chanting and said he wanted to explain the context of the incident to police.
Chelsea Football Club has barred five fans after a video showed a black man being prevented from boarding a train.
Mr Barklie, an ex-Royal Ulster Constabulary and Police Service of Northern Ireland officer, is currently a director with a human rights organisation - the World Human Rights Forum - and has also worked supporting victims of the Troubles.
Belfast solicitor Kevin Winters issued a statement on behalf of the Chelsea season ticket-holder.
In it he said Mr Barklie:
had been involved in an "incident" in which a man - identified as Souleymane S - was "unable to enter part of the train"
had not taken part in racist singing and "condemns any behaviour supporting that"
had contacted the Met Police to "explain the context and circumstances" and wanted to "put on record his total abhorrence for racism"
wanted to state his "sincerest apologies for the trauma and stress suffered by Mr Souleymane"
went to the match alone and did not know anyone shown in the video
had travelled to games for more than 20 years "without incident" and had never been part of any "group or faction" of Chelsea fans
The statement added: "As someone who has spent years working with disadvantaged communities in Africa and India, he can point to a CV in human rights work which undermines any suggestion he is racist."
It said the Met Police had confirmed "arrangements were in hand to take the investigation to the next stage".
Earlier, the Met said three men being sought in connection with the incident had been identified - and released images including one of Mr Barklie.
Amateur video shot at Paris's Richelieu-Drouot station showed a man being pushed from the Metro train while a group chanted: "We're racist, we're racist and that's the way we like it."
Chelsea has said it will ban the five suspended fans from attending Stamford Bridge for life if there is sufficient evidence of their involvement.
A spokesman said the club was writing to the victim to "apologise unreservedly", while manager Jose Mourinho has said he is "ashamed" by the alleged racism.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31575913?print=true

muppet

Caveat: Innocent until proven guilty etc...

but....

'Mr Barklie, an ex-Royal Ulster Constabulary and Police Service of Northern Ireland officer, is currently a director with a human rights organisation - the World Human Rights Forum - and has also worked supporting victims of the Troubles.'

This reminds me of some of those high profile campaigners against, for example, homosexuality. It is uncanny how often they turn out to be spectacular hypocrites.
MWWSI 2017

Maguire01

I'm not clear on what exactly he's apologising for. What does he consider his "part" was?

armaghniac

Quote from: muppet on February 22, 2015, 10:57:53 PM
Caveat: Innocent until proven guilty etc...

He may have just been on train.

QuoteThis reminds me of some of those high profile campaigners against, for example, homosexuality. It is uncanny how often they turn out to be spectacular hypocrites.

Well they could have been seeking treatment for a sports injury.........

Quote from: Maguire01
I'm not clear on what exactly he's apologising for. What does he consider his "part" was?

He was in the video.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

muppet

Quote from: Maguire01 on February 22, 2015, 11:01:15 PM

QuoteEarlier, the Met said three men being sought in connection with the incident had been identified - and released images including one of Mr Barklie.
MWWSI 2017

JoG2

Quote from: never kickt a ball on February 22, 2015, 10:45:14 PM
22 February 2015 Last updated at 22:21

An ex-police officer and Chelsea fan has apologised for his part in an alleged racist incident on the Paris Metro - but has denied he is a racist.
Richard Barklie, 50, of Carrickfergus, County Antrim, was identified as one of the people sought by the Met Police.
In a statement, he denied racist chanting and said he wanted to explain the context of the incident to police.
Chelsea Football Club has barred five fans after a video showed a black man being prevented from boarding a train.
Mr Barklie, an ex-Royal Ulster Constabulary and Police Service of Northern Ireland officer, is currently a director with a human rights organisation - the World Human Rights Forum - and has also worked supporting victims of the Troubles.
Belfast solicitor Kevin Winters issued a statement on behalf of the Chelsea season ticket-holder.
In it he said Mr Barklie:
had been involved in an "incident" in which a man - identified as Souleymane S - was "unable to enter part of the train"
had not taken part in racist singing and "condemns any behaviour supporting that"
had contacted the Met Police to "explain the context and circumstances" and wanted to "put on record his total abhorrence for racism"
wanted to state his "sincerest apologies for the trauma and stress suffered by Mr Souleymane"
went to the match alone and did not know anyone shown in the video
had travelled to games for more than 20 years "without incident" and had never been part of any "group or faction" of Chelsea fans
The statement added: "As someone who has spent years working with disadvantaged communities in Africa and India, he can point to a CV in human rights work which undermines any suggestion he is racist."
It said the Met Police had confirmed "arrangements were in hand to take the investigation to the next stage".
Earlier, the Met said three men being sought in connection with the incident had been identified - and released images including one of Mr Barklie.
Amateur video shot at Paris's Richelieu-Drouot station showed a man being pushed from the Metro train while a group chanted: "We're racist, we're racist and that's the way we like it."
Chelsea has said it will ban the five suspended fans from attending Stamford Bridge for life if there is sufficient evidence of their involvement.
A spokesman said the club was writing to the victim to "apologise unreservedly", while manager Jose Mourinho has said he is "ashamed" by the alleged racism.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31575913?print=true

What a Dick

93-DY-SAM

If he didn't do anything why does he feel the need for an apology?

deiseach

I'd imagine it's a public display of sackcloth and ashes for the benefit of his employer. A human rights organisation would be entitled to expect an employee to be slightly more activist in these situations than the average citizen, especially when they should have experience of it in their past.

seafoid

Quote from: deiseach on February 23, 2015, 07:49:52 AM
I'd imagine it's a public display of sackcloth and ashes for the benefit of his employer. A human rights organisation would be entitled to expect an employee to be slightly more activist in these situations than the average citizen, especially when they should have experience of it in their past.
pure PR to avoid a twitter backlash or focus in the news for a few days

Sorry isn't good enough anyway in such situations.
He should have said "baby can I hold you"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzIE3mRFypQ
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Over the Bar

He's attemting to save his ass from the sack.  Contrite apology....not travelling with the perpetrators....merely a bystander.....will fully cooperate with any investigation...etc

Quare fellow to be a director of a human rights org.....just like wee Wille F himself!!

I see Ronseal Ruth couldn't resist getting her fat face stuck in the middle of it too!

ballinaman

Had to laugh at this....

West Ham fans trolling Chelsea with this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILGrNzloMSU

Same day they sing this on another train....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B4BpnoIff4

::)

yellowcard

Bingo

Quote from: yellowcard on February 23, 2015, 10:35:22 AM
Is he a member of the Chelsea headhunters?

He hadn't paid his subs in a couple of years, so he doesn't have the current years membership card and was travelling on his own and just happened to be on the train at the time. 

Rossfan

Why is anyone surprised that an ex RUCite from Carrickfergus would display an ubermensch mentality.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Orior

Quote from: Rossfan on February 23, 2015, 11:03:32 AM
Why is anyone surprised that an ex RUCite from Carrickfergus would display an ubermensch mentality.

Not surprised at all. I'd hazard a guess that he's an ex DUP supporter who is now voting for UKIP
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians