Computer Help

Started by Armagh Cúchulainns, January 11, 2009, 01:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BenDover

I've a couple of weak internet spots in the house and I'm looking at using a WiFi extender to help boost the signal. Has anyone used these before? Any recommendations?

ONeill

Gaming PCs. Young lad talking about saving up and building his own. What's the story on this? You talking about £600-£1000? Is it really worth it?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: ONeill on June 16, 2020, 08:12:07 PM
Gaming PCs. Young lad talking about saving up and building his own. What's the story on this? You talking about £600-£1000? Is it really worth it?

Worth it compared to?

Learning to build his own is a useful skill, as long as he's likely to watch and learn from youtube before touching any static sensitive parts, he should be grand.

You'll always get a better standard of component by buying them yourself than something prebuilt off the likes of Dell.
i usse an speelchekor

ONeill

I suppose I'm thinking he'll get 4 years out of it before moving on.

What is the general price range of all parts?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: ONeill on June 16, 2020, 08:17:59 PM
What is the general price range of all parts?

How long is a piece of string!

If he gets himself a good motherboard now, then he'll be able to upgrade the CPU and GPU and keep running for at least 3-4 years. [Last PC did me nearly 10 before dying, and it got quite a bit of heavy use.]

I'll PM you.
i usse an speelchekor

LeoMc

Quote from: BenDover on May 26, 2020, 09:21:42 AM
I've a couple of weak internet spots in the house and I'm looking at using a WiFi extender to help boost the signal. Has anyone used these before? Any recommendations?
Am doing similar checks myself. Have you looked at power line adaptors, basically using your house wiring as an Ethernet cable?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: LeoMc on June 17, 2020, 02:30:01 PM
Quote from: BenDover on May 26, 2020, 09:21:42 AM
Am doing similar checks myself. Have you looked at power line adaptors, basically using your house wiring as an Ethernet cable?
I have a TP Link powerline adaptor in the halls upstairs and it's a good job but I know there are more sophisticated mesh systems out there (BT have one).

An issue I have is none of my devices automatically swap over to it. If for example I move my laptop from upstairs to downstairs. Anyone know how I can change this as there is bound to be a setting?!

trueblue1234

Along the same lines, is there any easy way of getting wi-fi out to the upstairs of the garage. It's fully detached from the house about 5 meters from the side of the house. Street is tarred so unable to run any wires underground.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

armaghniac

Quote from: trueblue1234 on June 17, 2020, 05:24:04 PM
Along the same lines, is there any easy way of getting wi-fi out to the upstairs of the garage. It's fully detached from the house about 5 meters from the side of the house. Street is tarred so unable to run any wires underground.

Is the power connected back to fuse box in the house?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

trueblue1234

Quote from: armaghniac on June 18, 2020, 12:28:32 AM

Yeah

BenDover

Any recommendations for a decent printer for the house?

armaghniac

Quote from: trueblue1234 on June 18, 2020, 12:29:46 AM

Yeah

A powerline wifi adapter setup might work, depending on how it is wired. Ideally borrow gear from somone to try it.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

trueblue1234

Quote from: armaghniac on June 18, 2020, 01:05:43 PM

Yeah

A powerline wifi adapter setup might work, depending on how it is wired. Ideally borrow gear from somone to try it.

Funny I have one in the house already going to the back of a TV in the sun room. Will trial that to see if it works. Never thought of it. Cheers

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: trueblue1234 on June 18, 2020, 01:56:59 PM

Yeah

Funny I have one in the house already going to the back of a TV in the sun room. Will trial that to see if it works. Never thought of it. Cheers

Do you not usually need 2? One to pick up the wifi and put it into the power cables and the other to get it from the power cables and turn to wifi again?

I've never used them, hence staying out of it - but I always thought they needed an input and output.
i usse an speelchekor

trueblue1234

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on June 18, 2020, 02:07:26 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on June 18, 2020, 01:56:59 PM

Yeah

Do you not usually need 2? One to pick up the wifi and put it into the power cables and the other to get it from the power cables and turn to wifi again?

I've never used them, hence staying out of it - but I always thought they needed an input and output.

Yeah it's a set of two plugs.