FAI...Spring friendlies for Interim Manager - Belgium/Swiss

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: Billys Boots on August 22, 2018, 01:11:56 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 22, 2018, 12:47:46 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 22, 2018, 12:24:05 PM
Irish Soccer is 100 years behind Gaelic games. Why? Because we oppressed it for those 100 years - well for 85 of it! There are very few soccer clubs in Mayo older than 50 years. Most were founded in the mid-70's early 80's. The GAA has had the power for most of our existence as an independent state, backed by the clergy and the state. They proverbially held the heel to the throat for as long as they could.

There is always an underlying fear among the GAA fraternity of Soccer. There always seem a need to blacken and belittle it.

If the article above was about GAA getting more help from the state, it would be seen as an entitlement and reward for all the good work that the GAA does. Of course the Soccer fraternity do equally as much within the modern community and voluntary as well.

As a Parent with feet in both camps it disgusts me to see either side belittle the other. Both at ground level are massive organisations that instill a great sense of community in my area.

I agree with most of that. There is still a subtle difference though in the GAA and the Soccer. The GAA is still about a sense of place. Soccer draws lads from all around if it's a decent club. Our club in Newport has players from Murroe, Ballina, Ballinahinch etc. They are a great club, and do great work, and I support them. But if you are talking about a sense of identity and community, I think the GAA club is still the centre.

But in my experience (until this year at least when Summer Soccer kicks in), the clubs have co-existed excellently, and complement each other. I hope it continues.

I think that's true in most communities AZ, and I wouldn't see any difference in the commitment of officials in either code (and I think most officials I know would agree).  I would say that rather than defining a place, the GAA sees itself as a cultural organisation and not confined to being a sporting organisation.  It's a master stroke in terms of acquiring finance for running costs, i don't think any other sporting organisation could successfully do that, which is probably a legacy of our history as a nation.

I don't necessarily think a GAA club defines a place as such, albeit certainly places like Ferbane, Rhode, etc, are widely associated with their GAA players/clubs. People of a certain age know nothing about Ferbane, but they know the Lowrys and Ferbane GAA.

However I think the GAA club, because of restrictions in who can play for a club, is more tightly bound to a specific area or community. If you play for Newport, you are from Newport and you are of Newport. If you play for Newport Town FC, you are affiliated with Newport Town FC, but you could be from anywhere within a 20 mile radius.

I think you can see it most often when a club reaches a final or something. In the soccer, there's great excitement in the club and there's massive celebrations in the club when they win. In the GAA, there's flags, banners, good luck messages and bonfires and the whole town or village is caught up in it.

I'm not having a go at soccer here by the way, as I said before I played with, enjoy and support  my local soccer club, and I attended a brave few Limerick FC games in Pike Rovers back in the day. I just see them as different types of animal, and the GAA is more rooted in place.

Billys Boots

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 22, 2018, 02:04:03 PM
Quote from: Billys Boots on August 22, 2018, 01:11:56 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 22, 2018, 12:47:46 PM
Irish Soccer is 100 years behind Gaelic games. Why? Because we oppressed it for those 100 years - well for 85 of it! There are very few soccer clubs in Mayo older than 50 years. Most were founded in the mid-70's early 80's. The GAA has had the power for most of our existence as an independent state, backed by the clergy and the state. They proverbially held the heel to the throat for as long as they could.

There is always an underlying fear among the GAA fraternity of Soccer. There always seem a need to blacken and belittle it.

If the article above was about GAA getting more help from the state, it would be seen as an entitlement and reward for all the good work that the GAA does. Of course the Soccer fraternity do equally as much within the modern community and voluntary as well.

As a Parent with feet in both camps it disgusts me to see either side belittle the other. Both at ground level are massive organisations that instill a great sense of community in my area.

I agree with most of that. There is still a subtle difference though in the GAA and the Soccer. The GAA is still about a sense of place. Soccer draws lads from all around if it's a decent club. Our club in Newport has players from Murroe, Ballina, Ballinahinch etc. They are a great club, and do great work, and I support them. But if you are talking about a sense of identity and community, I think the GAA club is still the centre.

But in my experience (until this year at least when Summer Soccer kicks in), the clubs have co-existed excellently, and complement each other. I hope it continues.

I think that's true in most communities AZ, and I wouldn't see any difference in the commitment of officials in either code (and I think most officials I know would agree).  I would say that rather than defining a place, the GAA sees itself as a cultural organisation and not confined to being a sporting organisation.  It's a master stroke in terms of acquiring finance for running costs, i don't think any other sporting organisation could successfully do that, which is probably a legacy of our history as a nation.

I don't necessarily think a GAA club defines a place as such, albeit certainly places like Ferbane, Rhode, etc, are widely associated with their GAA players/clubs. People of a certain age know nothing about Ferbane, but they know the Lowrys and Ferbane GAA.

However I think the GAA club, because of restrictions in who can play for a club, is more tightly bound to a specific area or community. If you play for Newport, you are from Newport and you are of Newport. If you play for Newport Town FC, you are affiliated with Newport Town FC, but you could be from anywhere within a 20 mile radius.

I think you can see it most often when a club reaches a final or something. In the soccer, there's great excitement in the club and there's massive celebrations in the club when they win. In the GAA, there's flags, banners, good luck messages and bonfires and the whole town or village is caught up in it.

I'm not having a go at soccer here by the way, as I said before I played with, enjoy and support  my local soccer club, and I attended a brave few Limerick FC games in Pike Rovers back in the day. I just see them as different types of animal, and the GAA is more rooted in place.

Ah, I wouldn't agree with the bit in bold at all now - it might be true of a few places, but I don't think people discriminate (and I don't mean this in a negative way) when it comes to sporting success. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

AZOffaly

Nonsense :) You're just blinded by being above in the big smoke :)

JPGJOHNNYG

Reports today that Rice is going to do a Grealish. These guys should be capped against the minnows in qualifying so the whole crap is knocked on the head but O'Neil doesnt seem to have learnt that lesson yet. Anyway any hesitation to play for the boys in green and they shouldnt be asked again. Embarrassing when we kept chasing the likes of Hogan and Bamford and they kept weighing up their options as they believe the hype that they are the next Messi when in reality they are shite. Hogan finally realised he was light years away from an England call up. Deluded Bamford still has hope - couldnt tell you which championship team he is playing fir this week.

smelmoth

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on August 27, 2018, 01:31:45 PM
Reports today that Rice is going to do a Grealish. These guys should be capped against the minnows in qualifying so the whole crap is knocked on the head but O'Neil doesnt seem to have learnt that lesson yet. Anyway any hesitation to play for the boys in green and they shouldnt be asked again. Embarrassing when we kept chasing the likes of Hogan and Bamford and they kept weighing up their options as they believe the hype that they are the next Messi when in reality they are shite. Hogan finally realised he was light years away from an England call up. Deluded Bamford still has hope - couldnt tell you which championship team he is playing fir this week.

Some of these guys are not weighing up whether to play for ROI or England. They are weighing up whether to play international football for a country they have limited interest in or focussing on their club with some small unextinguished hope of an England cap.

We have yet to see what the post Brexit impact of being English qualified will be

JPGJOHNNYG

Its all about money end of. Still think if you play for Ireland and maybe qualify for some tournaments you will get more exposure than being one of maybe 20 guys who may get an England cap at some point. Grealish is still waiting and playing championship football tick tock.
O'Neills mistake is indulging this shite. The moment he pulled out withh his reasons O 'Neill shoukd have told him where to go. He is a good player but nit much better than what we have. If it was Harry Kane then it would be worth the chase not some kid prone to mistakes at a joke of a club.

maldini

He played in 3 friendlies for the Ireland senior team and Southgate/The FA still went sniffing after him. Poor form.

An Watcher

It's not oneills fault there hasn't been a competitive game since the Denmark debacle and it would have been madness to cap him in such an important fixture.

michaelg

Quote from: maldini on August 27, 2018, 02:13:58 PM
He played in 3 friendlies for the Ireland senior team and Southgate/The FA still went sniffing after him. Poor form.
Annoying when a player is developed through the underage squads and is then poached by another association.  You wouldn't get the FAI doing that....

From the Bunker

Quote from: An Watcher on August 27, 2018, 04:02:00 PM
It's not oneills fault there hasn't been a competitive game since the Denmark debacle and it would have been madness to cap him in such an important fixture.

Well we could have thrown him in when we were 4-1 down.

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: michaelg on August 27, 2018, 04:51:41 PM
Annoying when a player is developed through the underage squads and is then poached by another association.  You wouldn't get the FAI doing that....

Kind of makes the IFA poaching stance even more ridiculous as if it is just an FAI thing but hey you knew that already? By the way it is the clubs that develop the players and for both Irish associations they are by and large relying on English clubs to do all the work at the business end. So both sets of blazers need a kick up the hole.

michaelg

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on August 27, 2018, 06:19:13 PM
Quote from: michaelg on August 27, 2018, 04:51:41 PM

Kind of makes the IFA poaching stance even more ridiculous as if it is just an FAI thing but hey you knew that already? By the way it is the clubs that develop the players and for both Irish associations they are by and large relying on English clubs to do all the work at the business end. So both sets of blazers need a kick up the hole.
Yes mate, fully aware that that it's not just an FAI thing.  Just interesting to hear ROI fans' aping what NI fans used to say when it happened to the NI team in the past.  Not too many coming out with the counter arguments that used to get trotted out when it was the ROI doing the poaching!

Capt Pat

He only needed to come on for a few minutes at the end like McGeady Houlihan or Long did.

Would he even make the England squad at the moment? Will he end up like Grealish?

trileacman

Irish Soccer is 100 years behind Gaelic games. Why? Because we oppressed it for those 100 years - well for 85 of it!

That's not true. Here in NI GAA was the oppressed sport, oppressed much more than soccer was in the Free State, and yet still outperforms the IFA in terms of participation and facilities. Bar the Stormont money the IFA would still be kicking ball in a Chernobyl-style Windsor Park and the 6'000 "safe capacity" Oval would be their second best stadium. The only major soccer clubs east of the Bann are Institute, Dungannon Swifts and Ballinamalllard.

How regularly soccer clubs in Ireland go to the wall are no fault of supposed traditional discrimination against soccer in Ireland. The idea that the financial mismanagement, ineptitude and corruption of the FAI should be bank-rolled by the state is a disgusting suggestion.

Fund pitches, coaches, small clubs and youths etc but the rest can get fcuked.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

smelmoth

Quote from: Capt Pat on August 27, 2018, 08:50:55 PM

He only needed to come on for a few minutes at the end like McGeady Houlihan or Long did.

Would he even make the England squad at the moment? Will he end up like Grealish?

But who is to say they think they have a chance of playing for England