All Ireland senior football final 2012 Donegal v Mayo

Started by rrhf, August 26, 2012, 08:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ballinaman

Had some nightmare last night.....dreamt that Tommy Lyons got the job over Horan 2 years ago.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on September 20, 2012, 09:59:11 PM
whos the english toff ??

Anthony Heneghan sports writer for the western people a local paper down here. I hope after reading some of the previous posts the rumours about AOS aren't true .
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Tubberman

Doesn't seem to be a huge amount to the O'Shea story, seems more precautionary than anything else, and Donegal have same thing with Lacey.
This from irishexaminer http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/donegal-sticking-with-side-that-beat-rebels-208381.html:

Centre-back Karl Lacey and centre-fielder Neil Gallagher both picked up minor hamstring injuries in a club match between their respective Four Masters and Glenswilly sides a week after the semi-final.

However, both players were withdrawn as a precautionary measure and trained the following week.

"We are very fortunate in that we are selecting from a fully fit squad," Rory Gallagher continued. "A couple of players had minor strains, but they have all been integrated fully back into our training again and they're all good to go for the weekend, thank God."

Meanwhile Mayo are sweating over the fitness of midfielder Aidan O'Shea.

The Breaffy man tweaked his hamstring last week but is expected to play on Sunday. He took part in an A versus B game at the weekend but was hauled off after 10 minutes as a precaution. Lee Keegan is also likely to start following his finger injury.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Tubberman

Doesn't look like the O'Shea story is that serious, seems more precautionary than anything else, and Donegal have same thing with Lacey.
This from irishexaminer http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/donegal-sticking-with-side-that-beat-rebels-208381.html:

Quote from: Tubberman on September 21, 2012, 08:59:13 AM
Centre-back Karl Lacey and centre-fielder Neil Gallagher both picked up minor hamstring injuries in a club match between their respective Four Masters and Glenswilly sides a week after the semi-final.

However, both players were withdrawn as a precautionary measure and trained the following week.

"We are very fortunate in that we are selecting from a fully fit squad," Rory Gallagher continued. "A couple of players had minor strains, but they have all been integrated fully back into our training again and they're all good to go for the weekend, thank God."

Meanwhile Mayo are sweating over the fitness of midfielder Aidan O'Shea.

The Breaffy man tweaked his hamstring last week but is expected to play on Sunday. He took part in an A versus B game at the weekend but was hauled off after 10 minutes as a precaution. Lee Keegan is also likely to start following his finger injury.

Asal Mor

All the best to Mayo on Sunday. Hope it's the start of a great 7 days for Connacht. If Mayo win it will probably be the most emotional occasion the game has ever seen. I'd love to see it.

blast05

QuoteAs for the Kerry game, Donegal's "collapse" was four or five minutes of a seventy minute game. Three kickouts lost and two very poor turnovers by a veteran sub (which should not have happened), along with a borderline square ball goal.

I guess the collapses don't matter at this stage, but for the record....
- Mayos collapse was from the 51st to 65 minutes. For the last 11 minutes of playing time (6 minutes of injury time), Mayo won the game 2 pts to 1.
- Define a collapse .... Mayo won possession from 5 of the 8 kickouts from Dublin scores taken during our 14 minute collapse
- Injuries coupled with a few dodgy decisions (a 50 that wasn't and a nothing free when Ger Cafferkey and a Dublin forward clashed heads accidentally and Cafferkey was penalised.

Anyway, enough of that ..... i've given all my thoughts on page 30 and have nothing to add other than to say Mayo 3-10, Donegal 1-13 (yes, a relative goal fest !)

As for the weather, i would put more stock in the forecast on boards.ie in the sceince -> Weather section:

"SUNDAY ... The morning may be dry for most of the north and west, with drizzle moving into the southeast. Cold to start with frosts in Ulster and Connacht inland, lows -1 to +4 C, but 5-8 C southeast. Increasing cloud with showers or periods of rain by evening, 10-20 mms possible by midnight, and highs 13-16 C. Winds generally light at first then increasing to E-NE 20-40 mph. "  ..... so we should be fine for the match, but i would have preferred a dry ball

AbbeySider

Donegal
(All-Ireland SFC final v Mayo, 23/9/2012):

Paul Durcan (Four Masters);

Paddy McGrath (Ardara), Neil McGee (Gaoth Dobhair), Frank McGlynn (Glenfin);

Eamon McGee (Gaoth Dobhair), Karl Lacey (Four Masters), Anthony Thompson (Naomh Conaill);

Neil Gallagher (Glenswilly), Rory Kavanagh (Naomh Adhamhnain);

Ryan Bradley (Buncrana), Leo McLoone (Naomh Conaill), Mark McHugh (Kilcar);

Paddy McBrearty (Kilcar), Martin Murphy (Glenswilly), Colm McFadden (Dunfanaghy).

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Michael Schmeichal on September 20, 2012, 05:23:13 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 20, 2012, 01:34:45 PM
Stuff Brolly and all belonging to him.
As a good Donegal friend put it when I asked him what he thought of JB, "I wouldn't give the full of me arse of burnt snow for thon Brolly fella."
Well, I wouldn't give the full of his arse of burnt anything for what anyone has to say about Mayo's 'cynical' approach. (Mind you very big man, even bigger arse.)
As I recall, Mayo gave away four frees in the last quarter after having the crap kicked out of them throughout the entire game, with two blood subs on and Kevin Mac forced to go back in.
Anyway, off to the shamrock and heather now until Saturdays so f**k the begrudgers.

4 frees in the last quarter my hole. They conceded 4 frees in injury time.

The best of luck to Mayo but don't be making stuff up.
I beg your pardon; I didn't explain what I meant properly.
I had been talking about cynical fouling and was thinking of what Brolly had said so I didn't stress this point enough.
BTW, I'm not taking a pop at Dublin or Joe Mac. The game belongs to history now.
But I am concerned at Brolly's subjective use of statistics.
I am afraid that what he and his likes are implying might influence Maurice Deegan's handling of the game to come.
I have no reason to doubt the ref's integrity but I do resent Brolly's remarks on the subject.
I have rewatched the video and I'm standing over what I have to say.

From the 55th minute onward to the final whistle,  the ref awarded a total of 12 frees.
7 were awarded to Dublin and 5 to Mayo. So, in terms of frees awarded, there was little between the sides.
Of the seven Mayo conceded, 4 were described by McStay  as cynical and I'd agree with him.
Of the 4, only two were blatantly obvious. the likes of the others were committed by both sides throughout the entire game. Both sides used jersey tugging, hands over the shoulder and the likes to their advantage.
Brolly ( in his piece on Hoganstand) claimed that Mayo committed a total of 27 tactical fouls throughout the game and came into it with this approach as part of their game plan. The fact is McQuillan failed to pick up on numerous fouls committed by both sides and the teams copped on fairly quickly that he wasn't up to the mark.
Each was as bad as the other in this regard.
So why go to town on Mayo's 'cynical' play to the exclusion of all other factors?
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Michael Schmeichal

Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 21, 2012, 09:42:45 AM
[I beg your pardon; I didn't explain what I meant properly.
I had been talking about cynical fouling and was thinking of what Brolly had said so I didn't stress this point enough.
BTW, I'm not taking a pop at Dublin or Joe Mac. The game belongs to history now.
I am afraid that what he and his likes are implying might influence Maurice Deegan's handling of the game to come.
I have no reason to doubt the ref's integrity but I do resent Brolly's remarks on the subject.

From the 55th minute onward to the final whistle,  the ref awarded a total of 12 frees.
7 were awarded to Dublin and 5 to Mayo. So, in terms of frees awarded, there was little between the sides.
Of the seven Mayo conceded, 4 were described by McStay  as cynical and I'd agree with him.
Of the 4, only two were blatantly obvious. the likes of the others were committed by both sides throughout the entire game. Both sides used jersey tugging, hands over the shoulder and the likes to their advantage.
Brolly ( in his piece on Hoganstand) claimed that Mayo committed a total of 27 tactical fouls throughout the game and came into it with this approach as part of their game plan. The fact is McQuillan failed to pick up on numerous fouls committed by both sides and the teams copped on fairly quickly that he wasn't up to the mark.
So why go to town on Mayo's 'cynical' play to the exclusion of all other factors?

Fair enough. I misinterpreted your original post and you have explained tyour oint very well above.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about what Brolly has to say. I don't think he is regarded as a serious football pundit by anybody in the country so I can't see Maurice Deegan being influenced by his ramblings.

nrico2006

Quote from: AbbeySider on September 21, 2012, 09:37:55 AM
Donegal
(All-Ireland SFC final v Mayo, 23/9/2012):

Paul Durcan (Four Masters);

Paddy McGrath (Ardara), Neil McGee (Gaoth Dobhair), Frank McGlynn (Glenfin);

Eamon McGee (Gaoth Dobhair), Karl Lacey (Four Masters), Anthony Thompson (Naomh Conaill);

Neil Gallagher (Glenswilly), Rory Kavanagh (Naomh Adhamhnain);

Ryan Bradley (Buncrana), Leo McLoone (Naomh Conaill), Mark McHugh (Kilcar);

Paddy McBrearty (Kilcar), Martin Murphy (Glenswilly), Colm McFadden (Dunfanaghy).

Michael Murphy at 14.  What is the craic with Dermot Molly, is he going to make it as a top player or was his performance of a few years back a flash in the pan?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

seafoid

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0921/1224324230541.html

Poetic moment: Winning makes it 'easy to dream'

Forty four years ago last February this newspaper's parliamentary correspondent John Healy wrote the first instalment of a series entitled "The Shoneen Society" about the changing face of modern Ireland.

He framed it in terms of how the poet Patrick Kavanagh, then recently deceased, might have viewed the migration into Dublin society of so many people from outside of the city.

Taking himself as an example, Healy wrote of how his first visit to the capital was for the 1948 All-Ireland football final between Mayo and Cavan, and how he had slept in an unlocked lorry the night before.

Moving on to the county's next and more successful outing, the Charlestown writer struck a chord that will still resonate with supporters this weekend.

"You wouldn't have to tell the Monaghan man why, two years later with the All-Ireland safely in your pocket in 1950, you are walking down the quays when a passing cloud clears the sun and the yellow evening light Septembers the rusted brick and you can feel in your bones the dignity of an old city which saw so much and absorbed so much in its history: if he was a Mayo man in that particular moment in that yellow evening he would know why: we had beaten the best in Ireland in Croke Park and we were the champions and could accomplish anything now.

"It was easy to dream that evening that you could come swarming in and make this city yours, too, adding to what you had already."

ballinaman

From Mayo GAA

The Mayo Senior Football Team to face Donegal in the All-Ireland Senior Football Championship Final this Sunday 23rd September at 3.30p.m. in Croke Park is as follows:

1. David Clarke - Ballina Stephenites (Capt.)
2. Kevin Keane - Westport
3. Ger Cafferkey - Ballina Stephenites
4. Keith Higgins - Ballyhaunis
5. Lee Keegan - Westport
6. Donal Vaughan - Ballinrobe
7. Colm Boyle - Davitts
8. Barry Moran - Castlebar Mitchels
9. Aidan O'Shea - Breaffy
10. Kevin McLoughlin - Knockmore
11. Jason Doherty - Burrishoole
12. Alan Dillon - Ballintubber
13. Enda Varley - Garrymore
14. Cillian O'Connor - Ballintubber
15. Michael Conroy - Davitts

LeoMc

Only one change from the Semi-final, Boyle in for Barrett.

Canalman

Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 21, 2012, 09:42:45 AM
Quote from: Michael Schmeichal on September 20, 2012, 05:23:13 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 20, 2012, 01:34:45 PM
Stuff Brolly and all belonging to him.
As a good Donegal friend put it when I asked him what he thought of JB, "I wouldn't give the full of me arse of burnt snow for thon Brolly fella."
Well, I wouldn't give the full of his arse of burnt anything for what anyone has to say about Mayo's 'cynical' approach. (Mind you very big man, even bigger arse.)
As I recall, Mayo gave away four frees in the last quarter after having the crap kicked out of them throughout the entire game, with two blood subs on and Kevin Mac forced to go back in.
Anyway, off to the shamrock and heather now until Saturdays so f**k the begrudgers.

4 frees in the last quarter my hole. They conceded 4 frees in injury time.

The best of luck to Mayo but don't be making stuff up.
I beg your pardon; I didn't explain what I meant properly.

All water under the bridge now LarnaParka but I had a wry smile reading your concerns about the possible  influencing of the refereeing of the game.  Mayo were at a similiar type of thing before the AISF and the disinformation that was being spouted about the referee before that game.

Sorry for raking over old embers given that this thread should be all about next Sunday.

Tubberman

I hope that's the team that starts! Best of luck to all involved.

Go n-éirí an t-ádh le Maigh Eo!