The Diva

Started by Zapatista, May 20, 2008, 09:22:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zapatista

O'Dwyer blast

"The veteran manager has expressed anger that Wicklow's Leinster championship quarter-final with Laois on Saturday week will be played at Dr Cullen Park and not at headquarters because of concerts at the Dublin venue."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/orsquodwyer-blast-1380694.html

thejuice

I think Meath vs Wexford is on in Dr Cullen Park too but Im not sure if its the same weekend
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

passedit

Does he get a cut of the crowd?

Never ceases to amaze me the amount of people queing up to crawl up the carpetbagger's hole. At least Heaney managed a wee dig at him in today's Irish News. The comparison with Harry Redknapp is indeed apt.

The cult of the manager is the true vanguard of professionalism but isn't as easy a target as the GPA so we'll all pretend the elephant isn't in the room shall we?
Don't Panic

AZOffaly

I'm one of O'Dwyer's staunchest critics. Not because of any debate about his managerial skills or acumen, but simply because he gets such an easy ride from the media and general public in regards to his (what I consider) mercenary approach, and also the fact that I think he is one of the most cynical devils ever. I've already mentioned umpteen times how he brought diving to a whole new level when he was in charge at Laois and Kildare, but nobody ever mentions it in public.

Undoubtedly he is a very good man manager, and the original cute hoor, but this rush to canonise him sickens me most of the time.

Billys Boots

Quotethis rush to canonise him sickens me most of the time

I'll vote for that.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

orangeman

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 20, 2008, 09:42:36 AM
I'm one of O'Dwyer's staunchest critics. Not because of any debate about his managerial skills or acumen, but simply because he gets such an easy ride from the media and general public in regards to his (what I consider) mercenary approach, and also the fact that I think he is one of the most cynical devils ever. I've already mentioned umpteen times how he brought diving to a whole new level when he was in charge at Laois and Kildare, but nobody ever mentions it in public.

Undoubtedly he is a very good man manager, and the original cute hoor, but this rush to canonise him sickens me most of the time.

But why pick on him as an individual ? Sure aren't they all getting some form of payment ? At least he makes no bones about and he puts everything he receives in his tax return !  ;)

AZOffaly

I pick on him because he pretends to be some sort of benevolent footballing evangelist. He is a cynical auld divil in my opinion. I do have great respect for his record as a manager, but I wish the media would be honest in how he achieves success.

orangeman

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 20, 2008, 10:15:41 AM
I pick on him because he pretends to be some sort of benevolent footballing evangelist. He is a cynical auld divil in my opinion. I do have great respect for his record as a manager, but I wish the media would be honest in how he achieves success.

How does he achieve success in your opinion ? He's not somebody I know much about but up here he comes across well and the media as you say seem to court him and put him on a pedsetal - but why not after all that he has achieved ?

moysider

Always had my reservations about the man but after Wicklow win last Sunday and all his other achievements I wish to Christ we had had him around for a couple of years.

Zapatista

You are spot on there AZ. He is the Louis Walsh of football.

orangeman

Maybe we were looking forward to a fairytale entrance to the championship by Mc Geeney and an auld hoor from Kerry comes and tears up the script - I don't know what you all thought but I thought it was the best match of the day in terms of entertainment ??

AZOffaly

Quote from: orangeman on May 20, 2008, 10:25:40 AM

How does he achieve success in your opinion ? He's not somebody I know much about but up here he comes across well and the media as you say seem to court him and put him on a pedsetal - but why not after all that he has achieved ?

He is well able to use cynical tactics, with an air of innocence. If you ask any player who has played against a Micko team, especially in his travels since Kerry, they will tell you all about diving, time wasting and whinging.

If he was honest, and unapologetic about it, I would find it easier to bear, but the media allow him to play them like old fiddles, and he takes full advantage of it.

orangeman

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 20, 2008, 10:33:13 AM
Quote from: orangeman on May 20, 2008, 10:25:40 AM

He is well able to use cynical tactics, with an air of innocence. If you ask any player who has played against a Micko team, especially in his travels since Kerry, they will tell you all about diving, time wasting and whinging.

If he was honest, and unapologetic about it, I would find it easier to bear, but the media allow him to play them like old fiddles, and he takes full advantage of it.

Wicklow did not win Sunday's match by diving, time wasting and whinging ! He has brought Wicklow a championship win against Kildare who were playing division 1 football - Wicklow couldn't get out of division 4 -

Surely he brings more to the game than simply diving, time wasting and whinging ??

Wicklow's greatest ever achievement ??? Possibly !

magpie seanie

AZ is right. Why Micko is a sacred cow is beyond me.

North Longford

QuoteAZ is right. Why Micko is a sacred cow is beyond me

Roll of Honour as Player
   Four All-Ireland Senior Football Championships
   Eight National Football League Championships
   Twelve Munster Senior Football Championships
   One Railway Cup
   Three Kerry Senior Football Championship finals with Waterville as player-coach
   Managed Wickow from Div 4 to first win in Croke Park vs Kildare May 2008

Roll of Honour as Player
   Eight All-Ireland Senior Football Championship titles
   Three All-Ireland Under-21 Football Championship titles
   Six Railway Cup titles
   Two Leinster Senior Football Championship titles with Kildare
   One Leinster Senior Football Championship title with Laois
   One Leinster U21 Football Championship titles with Kildare
   Three Kerry Senior Football Championship finals with Waterville as player-coach

Never understand it myself