GAA denies TV deal has been struck

Started by ziggysego, October 09, 2007, 08:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

QuoteReports that RTE are set to lose their exclusive rights to broadcast All-Ireland championship matches have been rubbished by GAA president Nickey Brennan.

With Setanta Sports, TV3 and TG4 also in the picture in terms of tenders for TV rights, RTE's dominance is under threat. But responding to weekend reports that a deal had already been done with regard to future coverage of championship matches, Brennan insisted: "All of that is pure speculation.

"All I can say is that the tender contracts relating to the media contracts have been issued to all the relevant parties, be they TV or radio, and we haven't got anything back yet.

"It's a wide range of different options that are out there, and we certainly won't be making any speculation or comment until we get back and see what's happening.

"I would expect we'll be starting to get presentations later this month."

Sourced Hoganstand.com: http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=84470
Testing Accessibility

AbbeySider

Id say a decision that big would have to go to the county boards to discuss and be voted on.
There is no way that all counties would agree

cavan4ever

Quote from: AbbeySider on October 10, 2007, 09:36:52 AM
Id say a decision that big would have to go to the county boards to discuss and be voted on.
There is no way that all counties would agree

It's a tender so whoever offers the most money will get it unless they have certain criteria in the contracts.  County boards will have no say in it atall.

amallon

As long as it stays on free to air TV I don't really mind.  Maybe if TV3 got the coverage for a year or two it woud give RTE the kick up the hole they need to sort their coverage out.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: amallon on October 10, 2007, 09:47:52 AM
As long as it stays on free to air TV I don't really mind.  Maybe if TV3 got the coverage for a year or two it woud give RTE the kick up the hole they need to sort their coverage out.
well if tv3 rugby coverage is anything to go by its better the devil you know than the devil you don't >:(
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

amallon

Point taken deel rover their Rugby coverage wasn't exactly excellent.  If they got the contract it would see an end to Spillane!
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

the Deel Rover

true amallon it would nearly be worth it for that alone i suppose
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

paddypastit

I didn't think the rugby coverage was too bad - light years ahead of the old TV3 with Packie Bonner aropund what looked like a neon tea chest.  Apparently all of the GAA games have been broken into 11 different packages.  There will be something in it for everybody. AI QFs on are protected for free to view by a law that was passed a few years back.
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

Oakleafkid

I think they will have to take the northern viewers into consideration here when choosin the broadcaster so TV3 would be ruled out as we cant get it!

take_yer_points

Quote from: Oakleafkid on October 11, 2007, 01:07:06 PM
I think they will have to take the northern viewers into consideration here when choosin the broadcaster so TV3 would be ruled out as we cant get it!

I've got TV3 in Belfast and the folks have it down at home in Tyrone - u sure you can't get it Oakleafkid?

Oakleafkid

do u get it through sky? i know that we cant get rte through our aerial so im pressuming we cant get tv3

fer fox ache

Oak Leaf kid I can get it bthrough the ordinary aerial but I'm in North Derry and assume it's coming from the Inishowen transmitter, maybe different the other side of the pass

take_yer_points

Hey Oaklief, I PM'd you some info on the aerials - hope it helps!

orangeman