Wexford Vs Meath

Started by thejuice, April 04, 2007, 12:39:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavanmaniac

Model Hammer

Right, it's prediction time: A one-point win for Wexford, and a draw in Dungarvan will do nicely  :D ;D :D ;D

BallyhaiseMan

If Cavan dont win in Waterford on Sunday, The whole county would probably errupt in Riots  :D

sticking my neck out but

Wexford win by 5

Cavan win by 8

cavan4ever

Quote from: Hardy on April 05, 2007, 11:22:20 AM
I'm planning on heading over to Wexford a' Sunda. I might just stop th'oul wagon on the way back, collect a few stones and wait for the Cavan cars comin up from Dungarvan. You can take the man outa ...

U wouldn't want to blink or you could miss them!

thejuice

I reckon, Meath win by 2-3, Cavan win by the guts of 10 points. Cant be too percise.

Cant wait for Sunday, its gonna be great no matter what way it turns out, except for a Meath loss by +8 points, that would not be cool at all.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Model Hammer

For any Cavan men that might be tempted to take the shortest route to/from Waterford on Sunday, to save on fuel (oops, potential lazy racial stereotype reference there) don't go thru Kilkenny. Couple of cricket matches on there Sunday afternoon.

anglocelt39

For any Cavan men that might be tempted to take the shortest route to/from Waterford on Sunday, to save on fuel (oops, potential lazy racial stereotype reference there) don't go thru Kilkenny. Couple of cricket matches on there Sunday afternoon

Arrah sure we'll let you off with that one hammer, far be it from any of us to retort that that only thing to come out of wexford are tinkers and strawberries, and you don't look much like a strawberry, boom boom. By the way, the colloquial expression for hurling up our way would be hockey, not cricket. Mind you, looking at some of the, ahem, match ups in Kilkenny on Sunday pm, I reckon a few cricket scores might be in order
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

thejuice

After what transpired on Sunday and Kildare playing so well, I get the feeling Meath will be taking the qualifier route early this year  >:(
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

magpie seanie

How do you explain Meath's performance against Sligo when you hold it up against all their other league outings? They looked quite good against us. Is he messing around with the team, more concerned with building for the championship?

cavanmaniac

I doubt Coyler would have been tricking about too much in the last game with all that was at stake.

Meath would appear to be on a similar level to ourselves this year, poor to middling at best. Blessed to draw against us and then hammered in Wexford, a few dodgy umpiring decisions and a late gimmee of a free scuffed that would have kept them in Division 3. We've looked very ordinary for long stretches of every game as well and it won't be too long a summer for us either I fear.

All in all, I think Wexford were the best team in the group save for their stupid loss to Waterford early on and Sligo might have made more of an impression had they hit the ground running instead of dropping points like they did.

blasmere

Bealin furious over 'ridiculous' knock-out on points decision

PAUL BEALIN has hit out at the "ridiculous" method of deciding league placings after Wexford's failure to qualify for the Division 2 semi-finals.

Bealin watched his Wexford football side beat Meath by seven points to finish on the same number of points as the Royals with the same scoring difference (+25).

But because Meath's cumulative score was superior, they advanced to a league semi-final against Monaghan in two weeks' time.

It has all left Bealin and Wexford frustrated and has also called into question the justification of how the system was operated.

"We did everything right. We won the match when it counted, when it was in the melting pot. We got a sufficient amount of scores to draw level on scoring difference and then we lose just because Meath scored more in the campaign," the former Dublin star pointed out.

"Surely the fact that we had beaten Meath should have counted before cumulative totals," he asked.

Wexford lost their opening match of the league to Waterford and that threatened a catastrophic campaign. But they quickly put that result behind them and remained unbeaten for the next six games.

"We were unlucky against Cavan that we didn't win the game but I think our luck completely ran out on us here. Sure we knew the situation beforehand. We had to beat Meath by eight points so to go so close was a fantastic achievement I felt.

"But the way we lost out on Division 2 and a league semi-final is hard to take. I don't know who decides these guidelines but it wasn't satisfactory.

"I can accept score difference counting but when teams finish level surely it makes sense to then decide who goes up or down by the result of the match between the two teams. Surely it has more relevance than who scored most."

Sour grapes

Bealin was also critical of umpiring decisions that he felt cost his side a two-point swing.

"I don't want this to sound like sour grapes but Ciaran Deely had a perfectly good point disallowed and there was another Meath 'point' that was somewhat dubious," added Bealin, who is still willing to look on the campaign positively particularly Sunday's result.

"When the challenge was there for us we took it up," he said.

"We didn't make the semi-finals but it can't have been easy for Meath to sit in a dressing-room knowing you're in a league semi-final having lost a game you really had to win. We feel we're in a good place and we're looking forward to a good championship."

Colm Keys

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=95&si=1809421&issue_id=15488
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree

Hardy

blasmere

Quote from: Hardy on April 10, 2007, 01:40:24 PM
What a gobshite.

Were the rules not laid out from the start? If that's the case there's no need for the whinging.
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree

magpie seanie

QuoteWhat a gobshite.

Exactamundo.

cavanmaniac

He has a point about the results being taken over scores accumlulated though, that should be looked at, but he knew this was how it was at the start of the year so there's little to be achieved in cribbing now.