Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

QuoteNioclas O Braonain
Uachtaran CLCG
Croke Park
DUBLIN

7 February 2007

Dear Nickey

I am writing, as requested by the Tyrone County Committee, to put to you as Uachtaran, to An Coiste Bainisti  and to Central Council a summary of a discussion that was held at our monthly County Committee meeting last night.

That discussion concerned the GAA's evident moves towards "recognition" of the Gaelic Players' Association (GPA). Our County Committee is clear that no such "recognition" should be granted.

The main reasons for our clear and unequivocal stance are as follows:

1. Just who are the GPA and who do they represent? Just as importantly, who do they not represent? Last year this group made what we felt was an open attack on the Association by acting to delay an entire National Football League programme: the last time a similar exercise was attempted on the GAA was August 1918. In the same way we believe they have hijacked our official All-Stars scheme. This is not a group that the GAA should be giving recognition to.

2. The GPA already has the same representation at Central Council as our entire County, or indeed any other County or unit of the Association. Despite the reservations listed above, they already enjoy a privileged position. This gesture is generous recognition.

3. What exactly is the purpose of "recognition"? In our eyes it can only be for one of two reasons — (a) to give them a preferential status, or (b) to negotiate with them. As a County Committee we are opposed to both of these. The GAA is about equality for all its people, not preference for a tiny, tiny number. That's one of the things that makes us different: no matter how many people want to make the comparisons, we are simply not (and hopefully never will be) like other sports. And we have already well-established channels in place for negotiation and discussion. We have a Club-County-Province-National structure that's the envy of many. This letter is an example of that: grave concerns expressed by Tyrone Club delegates last night can be brought to the highest level of the GAA within hours.

4. If "recognition" is granted to the GPA, which self-appointed group will be next to seek a similar status? "Non-GPA" players? Managers? Referees? Supporters? County Chairs? Secretaries? Coaches? Physios? Fund-raisers? The list is endless. And if the principle of recognition is established for one group, how can it be denied to others?

5. If the GPA has "recognition", where then do County Committees stand in terms of a core part of their GAA business, their organisation of County teams? An officially-sanctioned route for by-passing County Committees will be in place, leaving them in the intolerable position of having the responsibility for something whilst the power to deal with it lies elsewhere.

I want to make it clear that in Tyrone we believe absolutely in looking after our players. We always have done and I think our track record in that area is as good as anybody's and maybe better than many. We are very proud of our players; respect what they do; resource them very, very well; and rejoice in the honour they have brought our County and its people. We believe that's the GAA way of doing things. And it's one we're committed to. But we're also committed to looking after all parts of the GAA in our County.

The GAA's great strength is in the delicate yet wholly powerful balance it maintains across all parts of the Association. Disturb that balance even slightly and you fatally weaken the whole structure. In that sense, if there's one great issue that we should look seriously at as an Association, it's the question of Volunteer Welfare. Lose that one and we won't have anything left to worry about.

Can I make it clear again that we discussed this issue openly and freely at our County Committee meeting last night. There was unanimous agreement with these sentiments. Because of that I would like you to share this letter with your colleagues on Management and table / circulate it at the next meeting of the Ard Comhairle.

Thank you again for your leadership across all our work.

Is mise,

P. O Dorchai

Cathaoirleach

Coiste Thir Eoghain

Sourced Tyronegaa.ie: http://www.tyronegaa.ie/countyboard/news/story.jsp?newsid=293
Testing Accessibility

youbetterbelieveit

See this off hoganstand

Tyrone County Board Chairman Pat Darcy has sent a letter to Croke Park outlining the county's objection to the GAA giving any recognition to the Gaelic Player's Association.

The issue of the GPA came up at the monthly meeting of the Tyrone County Committee and according to the letter dated 7 February; there was 'unanimous agreement' at the sentiments.

The GPA have been lobbying hard for official recognition over the last number of years and recent comments from GAA President Nickey Brennan have indicated that there could be an agreement between the two bodies over players grants issued by the government.

The O'Neill County Chairman has argued that it is vital that no individual body within the GAA, be it players, referees, officials or supporters should receive preferential status and that giving recognition to the GPA could 'fatally weaken the whole structure' of the GAA.

magpie seanie

I wholeheartedly concur. Well said Tyrone. Once again you are a leading light among all counties in the GAA. Lets hope you are heeded.

Hardy

Well said Tyrone. I'm not sure if this letter can achieve anything or has any official status and I'm not sure what sanction is required for a decision to 'recognise' the GPA. But I too would totally oppose the recognition of the GPA for any official purpose or their acceptance as players' representatives. As long as they confine themselves to representing only the 'elite' players, they represent the antithesis of the GAA ethos and its tradition of democracy.

The players are the most important group in the organisation. The players' representatives should be recognised and should have a seat on central council, should be consulted on all substantive matters, should be able to lobby for players' conditions and generally should have a much higher profile in the GAA's hierarchy.

But the GPA are NOT the players' representatives. They are the representatives of a self-appointed elite and their agenda is nothing less than the destruction of the amateur ethos and egalitarian structure of the GAA.

Bord na Mona man

While Tyrone are probably right to have a go at the GPA, their position is weakened by their treatment of Brian McGuigan when he was injured and out of work. I'm sure the GPA will be quick to draw the parallel and claim Tyrone have an anti-player agenda.

realredhandfan

this GPA is simply a further erosion of GAA values.  Its time to go back to basics..

theskull1

Quote from: Hardy on February 15, 2007, 04:38:29 PM
But the GPA are NOT the players' representatives. They are the representatives of a self-appointed elite and their agenda is nothing less than the destruction of the amateur ethos and egalitarian structure of the GAA.

100% in agreement Hardy.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Fionntamhnach

Quote from: Krusty the Klown
"I Heartily Endorse This Event or Product."

BottleOfStout

CSC

I propose that we start a new player's organization, the GCPA, the Gaelic Club Players Association.
Sole objective is to force the county boards to give a clear, organised and regular playing season for the club players. If that happened then we could blow the GPA out of the water and the GAA would have to listen to the players as you could organise block voting on key issues, i.e. we would have real power.

Enough of this County is everything clubs are noting BS

Let's do it

Fear ón Srath Bán

It's difficult to disagree with the sentiments expressed in that letter; it becoming more and more evident that the GPA's aim is undoubtedly to look after the interests of the elite, and as such it indeed represents the antithesis of everything the GAA's about (as previously stated here).

Not sure if the treatment that Brian Mc Guigan was, or was not, in receipt of was anything like as bad as it was rather sensationally made out to be at the time in the press. Though I agree more could have been done.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

bigpaul

If 'the GAA is about equality for all its' people',why did I, as a member of the GAA in Tyrone, not get the opportunity to contribute to this debate?Obviously some are'more equal than others'! I assume that Mr Darcy includes hurlers among 'our players', in that case his claim to have as good a 'track record in that area as anybody's' is ludicrous.

Lecale2

The GAA is not just about county players. It is a choice you make to play for your county and a privilege. Some are lucky enough to have been given the opinion to make that choice. If you don't want to play for your county - don't do it. There are loads of lads queuing up to.

The GAA is build on people, men and women, working to preserve our heritage and to give young people a healthily alternative to play stations, drink and a life based on selfishness. We give them a healthy option, teach them team play, sportsmanship and give them confidence in who they are and where they have come from.  Focusing on the elite players will destroy something that I believe is unique in modern sport.

The man who plays full forward for the county team is equal in any club to the lad who coaches the u14s, to the committee man, the grounds man, the referee, the lady who makes the sandwiches and the Minor hurler who trains all year but isn't good enough and only plays the last 10 minutes of every match. That's the sort or organisation we are. Long may it continue?

Maybe the time may come where TV dictates that we should split into 2 different association? One of elite athletes who will appear on Setanta on Saturday nights and another of the rest. The rump. The plain people of Ireland at sport. I know where I will be.  Coaching the u14s on Sunday morning or refereeing a minor match down the country. Not just because I'm not good enough to play at Croke Park, but because that's what I believe it's all about.

Fionntamhnach

Quote from: bigpaul on February 15, 2007, 09:30:59 PM
If 'the GAA is about equality for all its' people',why did I, as a member of the GAA in Tyrone, not get the opportunity to contribute to this debate?Obviously some are'more equal than others'! I assume that Mr Darcy includes hurlers among 'our players', in that case his claim to have as good a 'track record in that area as anybody's' is ludicrous.
(a) Have you spoken to your club representative on the county board, (b) please tell us about the treatment of county hurling teams in Tyrone and what differences are made between them and the footballers.

Bogball XV

Quote from: CSC on February 15, 2007, 07:23:45 PM
I propose that we start a new player's organization, the GCPA, the Gaelic Club Players Association.
Sole objective is to force the county boards to give a clear, organised and regular playing season for the club players. If that happened then we could blow the GPA out of the water and the GAA would have to listen to the players as you could organise block voting on key issues, i.e. we would have real power.

Enough of this County is everything clubs are noting BS

Let's do it

Now that is actually a great idea.  Seriously, you can be chairman, i'll be ceo, we'll take €100 from each player and pay ourselves nice salaries - my position would need about 200K, yours being more titular would get about 100K!!