Would you call this year a failure for tyrone

Started by irish345, August 13, 2019, 10:47:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dublin7

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 13, 2019, 01:33:31 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on August 13, 2019, 01:12:34 PM
Quote from: HiMucker on August 13, 2019, 12:11:59 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on August 13, 2019, 12:00:06 PM
Of course it was a failure for Tyrone. We set out to reach an All Ireland final and fell short. Donegal may see their season as a success as J70 is trying to explain but clearly Tyrone's ambitions are a little higher than that. Success and failure are very much relative, for the likes Derry, for example, it's been a massively successful season getting promotion from div 4 is a huge achievement for them and I think they even won a championship match so they'll be dancing in the streets of Coleraine about that. On top of this, they've also got the imminent departure of Mickey Harte to warm their cockles during the winter months. For Tyrone, there's no shame to say that failing by a kick of the ball to reach an All Ireland is deemed a failure as it shows how far we have come as a county in the past 20 years or so. And also it shows the very high esteem others hold our county by suggesting this is failure.
;D ;D I enjoyed that post, nearly as much as the game on Sunday.
That's one way to look at it ;D ;D

Donegal won an Ulster title and have improved in the last 12 months. Have Tyrone improved in the last year or even 5 years? I would say they as far away now from challenging the top teams as they ever were and havent't beaten any of them. They are still relying on the same defensive football that has failed in previous years in the big games. Is it any wonder forwards like Bradley & O'Neill are dropping themselves from the panel when they are so few places available to them on the team as a forward

So we agree 2019 will go down as a failure for Tyrone. 👍 It's always nice to see the high expectations other counties' fans have of Tyrone. Cheers
I think you could pretty much copy and paste the end of season report every year for Tyrone for last decade or so and if Harte says the next few years as well. Each year pretty much rolls into another without anything really changing

BennyHarp

Quote from: dublin7 on August 13, 2019, 02:04:23 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on August 13, 2019, 01:33:31 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on August 13, 2019, 01:12:34 PM
Quote from: HiMucker on August 13, 2019, 12:11:59 PM
Of course it was a failure for Tyrone. We set out to reach an All Ireland final and fell short. Donegal may see their season as a success as J70 is trying to explain but clearly Tyrone's ambitions are a little higher than that. Success and failure are very much relative, for the likes Derry, for example, it's been a massively successful season getting promotion from div 4 is a huge achievement for them and I think they even won a championship match so they'll be dancing in the streets of Coleraine about that. On top of this, they've also got the imminent departure of Mickey Harte to warm their cockles during the winter months. For Tyrone, there's no shame to say that failing by a kick of the ball to reach an All Ireland is deemed a failure as it shows how far we have come as a county in the past 20 years or so. And also it shows the very high esteem others hold our county by suggesting this is failure.
;D ;D I enjoyed that post, nearly as much as the game on Sunday.
That's one way to look at it ;D ;D

Donegal won an Ulster title and have improved in the last 12 months. Have Tyrone improved in the last year or even 5 years? I would say they as far away now from challenging the top teams as they ever were and havent't beaten any of them. They are still relying on the same defensive football that has failed in previous years in the big games. Is it any wonder forwards like Bradley & O'Neill are dropping themselves from the panel when they are so few places available to them on the team as a forward

So we agree 2019 will go down as a failure for Tyrone. 👍 It's always nice to see the high expectations other counties' fans have of Tyrone. Cheers
I think you could pretty much copy and paste the end of season report every year for Tyrone for last decade or so and if Harte says the next few years as well. Each year pretty much rolls into another without anything really changing

I agree, although this year we ultimately failed, the consistency under Harte has been fairly impressive and again, it's great that other counties' fans acknowledge this. It's an uneven structure though and Tyrone find it tough enough going if the expectation every year is an All Ireland final place.
That was never a square ball!!

seafoid

Did 03-08 breed unrealistic expectations amongst Tyrone fans ?
Mediocrity is hard.
You need a really good team to win an all Ireland usually and now it may be impossible. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

TheOptimist

Not content with being the first team to win not just one but two all All-Ireland while losing a game in the same year, Tyrone were almost successful in losing two games and getting to a final. They are becoming experts at going further than teams that are better than them.

dublin7

Quote from: TheOptimist on August 13, 2019, 04:10:20 PM
Not content with being the first team to win not just one but two all All-Ireland while losing a game in the same year, Tyrone were almost successful in losing two games and getting to a final. They are becoming experts at going further than teams that are better than them.

Indeed and doing it in the most boring way possible for neutrals. They style of play is tough to watch and sucks the life out of a game. Little wonder neutrals wouldn't spend €50 per ticket to watch it

seafoid

Was it a Tyrone failure or a failure of the system? If Kerry get hammered will it make any difference ?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

lenny

Harte has to stay. Another decent year so you can't get rid of him yet.

BennyHarp

Quote from: lenny on August 13, 2019, 05:07:59 PM

And I'm sure you have the date marked in a big red X on your "Derry  - Division 4 Champions 2019" commemorative calendar and are counting down the days.
That was never a square ball!!

lenny

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 13, 2019, 06:18:37 PM

And I'm sure you have the date marked in a big red X on your "Derry  - Division 4 Champions 2019" commemorative calendar and are counting down the days.

Another mckenna cup for tyrone, what more could you ask for?

RedHand88

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 13, 2019, 06:18:37 PM

I hear there's a DVD in the works.

Whishtup

Haven't always thought this way(and have issues with some other things outside of the game) but right now Harte has to stay.  The first year of exploring new tactics and still in the top 3 with some exciting prospects coming through. As much kick passing to forward line as you'll see from any team.  Time for Col Cav to hang them up, though I'd say.  For those demanding his dismissal, I'd be careful what you wish for.  Harte's constant challenging for Sam seems to irk a few here and there's very much a 'Croppies lie down' sentiment from certain sections that spurs the man on.  I think there's a lack of appreciation for what it takes to be at the top table year in-year out and Harte has done this.  I would argue that his backroom could be bolstered with the right people to make some tweaks in the psychological game. The Dubs have this mastered. 

RedHand88

The psychological thing needs work for sure. Need to make them resiliant in the face of adversity. One things for sure, Dublin wouldnt have crumbled the way Tyrone did  the going got tough on Sunday, theyd have knocked in 2-6 in reply.
Not sure how to do that, sports psychologists or whatever, but its badly needed.