Time for U2 to shuffle off before the corpse smells?

Started by Shamrock Shore, March 10, 2014, 03:05:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

I actually bothered to read both articles and I don't understand why they'd make anyone fear that listening to Bono is a bad thing. Even the character assasination piece riddled with inaccuracies and inconsistencies included a comment allegedly from an insider saying he's very earnest though he likes the sound of his own voice. Imagine - a front man in a rock band being like that. Hang him high I suppose.... ::)

Itchy

Quote from: sid waddell on December 31, 2018, 01:56:19 PM
Quote from: Itchy on December 31, 2018, 01:29:14 PM
Ok Sid, let's pretend you are interested. This article is quite reflective of my own take. For example his nonsense about going to jail for singing the blues in a place where people have bigger issues such as getting murdered or raped - well that's bono trying to make himself relevant and central to the situation...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2017/11/11/the-hypocrisy-of-bono-and-his-one-charity/amp/

For balance, there is also a right of reply here...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2017/11/14/one-campaign-responds-to-column-on-the-charity/amp/
I'm asking you to describe in your own words what you fear will happen as a result of people listening to Bono.

Posting a couple of articles nobody is going to read is not doing that. It's deflection.

Given that you fear or "have a problem" that people will listen to Bono, one has to assume that you believe he has some horrible views and that people listening to him will produce negative outcomes for society.

What are these horrible views, and what are these potential negative outcomes?

I mean, I fear that people will listen to Donald Trump or Peter Casey or Matteo Salvini or Jair Bolsonaro, because I believe these people have horrible, disgusting, hate filled views. Yet these are views which are sadly very seductive and persuasive to the easily fooled. I fear that if people listen to them and take them seriously, the outcome for the societies in which they live will be very harmful.

I'm really struggling to think of why anybody would be in any way similarly concerned that people would listen to Bono.

So, why, in your own words, are you so concerned that people might listen to him?

So you didn't read the article yet you can write the rest of your post. Can't be dealing with idiots like you today. Slan.

sid waddell

Quote from: Itchy on December 31, 2018, 02:27:02 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on December 31, 2018, 01:56:19 PM
Quote from: Itchy on December 31, 2018, 01:29:14 PM
Ok Sid, let's pretend you are interested. This article is quite reflective of my own take. For example his nonsense about going to jail for singing the blues in a place where people have bigger issues such as getting murdered or raped - well that's bono trying to make himself relevant and central to the situation...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2017/11/11/the-hypocrisy-of-bono-and-his-one-charity/amp/

For balance, there is also a right of reply here...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2017/11/14/one-campaign-responds-to-column-on-the-charity/amp/
I'm asking you to describe in your own words what you fear will happen as a result of people listening to Bono.

Posting a couple of articles nobody is going to read is not doing that. It's deflection.

Given that you fear or "have a problem" that people will listen to Bono, one has to assume that you believe he has some horrible views and that people listening to him will produce negative outcomes for society.

What are these horrible views, and what are these potential negative outcomes?

I mean, I fear that people will listen to Donald Trump or Peter Casey or Matteo Salvini or Jair Bolsonaro, because I believe these people have horrible, disgusting, hate filled views. Yet these are views which are sadly very seductive and persuasive to the easily fooled. I fear that if people listen to them and take them seriously, the outcome for the societies in which they live will be very harmful.

I'm really struggling to think of why anybody would be in any way similarly concerned that people would listen to Bono.

So, why, in your own words, are you so concerned that people might listen to him?

So you didn't read the article yet you can write the rest of your post. Can't be dealing with idiots like you today. Slan.

Why on earth would I read stupid articles from the New York Post that you have linked to?

You appear to not be capable of making your own argument - linking to crap articles is what such people often do as a substitute for their own inability to debate.

This is a discussion forum.

Answer the questions put to you, make your own argument, or quit.

The sum total of what you've come up with so far is "I hate Bono". That's your absolute right, but your attempt to rationalise that hatred is proving most unconvincing.

Seany

It's probably time to nail the tax thing.  There are 2 U2s.  The first one is the four lads from Dublin who formed and still play in a band.  They live in and pay all their taxes in Ireland.  Always have done.  Then there is the second U2 - The publishing and touring arm of the outfit.  This is a global, multi national operation and doesn't owe Ireland anything really.  U2, like all bands, make most of their money nowadays from touring, since streaming has made album sales not very lucrative. Since 2016, U2 have done three world tours (Innocence, Joshua Tree, Experience) and have played 187 concerts (Innocence 76, Joshua Tree 51, Experience 60) In that time, they have played in Ireland (including Belfast) 12 times.  This works out about 6% of their output for the past three years have been in Ireland and U2 pay that amount to the Irish exchequer. For their international income, they are perfectly entitled to find the best location to maximise profit. There isn't another company in the world that would do any different. In fact, Ireland itself is a tax refuge for Facebook, Google, Apple and other companies who want to pay less corporation tax because of our favorable tax rues which attract these companies.  U2 are no longer an 'Irish' rock group.  Haven't been for many years.  They are based in Ireland, but are an international phenomenon. It is typical of their detractors and begrudgers that they would seek to pick on this element of their operation to take pot shots at them.  The fact that those 187 shows are all sold out, global world tours is lost on those people. We should be proud of U2.  It speaks volumes about our collective attitude that some of us save their most vitriolic comment on what is our best artistic export.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Seany on January 01, 2019, 01:00:38 PM
It's probably time to nail the tax thing.  There are 2 U2s.  The first one is the four lads from Dublin who formed and still play in a band.  They live in and pay all their taxes in Ireland.  Always have done.  Then there is the second U2 - The publishing and touring arm of the outfit.  This is a global, multi national operation and doesn't owe Ireland anything really.  U2, like all bands, make most of their money nowadays from touring, since streaming has made album sales not very lucrative. Since 2016, U2 have done three world tours (Innocence, Joshua Tree, Experience) and have played 187 concerts (Innocence 76, Joshua Tree 51, Experience 60) In that time, they have played in Ireland (including Belfast) 12 times.  This works out about 6% of their output for the past three years have been in Ireland and U2 pay that amount to the Irish exchequer. For their international income, they are perfectly entitled to find the best location to maximise profit. There isn't another company in the world that would do any different. In fact, Ireland itself is a tax refuge for Facebook, Google, Apple and other companies who want to pay less corporation tax because of our favorable tax rues which attract these companies.  U2 are no longer an 'Irish' rock group.  Haven't been for many years.  They are based in Ireland, but are an international phenomenon. It is typical of their detractors and begrudgers that they would seek to pick on this element of their operation to take pot shots at them.  The fact that those 187 shows are all sold out, global world tours is lost on those people. We should be proud of U2.  It speaks volumes about our collective attitude that some of us save their most vitriolic comment on what is our best artistic export.

Well said - you put it far more succinctly that my attempt earlier. The tax thing is a bullshit red herring used by some to justify dislike of Bono/U2.

Seany

Thanks Magpie. I was just randomly looking at Obama's launch of his candidacy in Springfield in 2004.  What music did he walk out to?  U2 - 'Oh You Look So Beautiful' A future POTUS choosing the music of four lads from north Dublin who answered an ad on their school notice board. U2 are the best thing to have come out of this country.

Eamonnca1

Hear hear. Bono hatred has nothing to do with taxation and everything to do with traditional Irish begrudgery. Pure and simple.

RedHand88

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on January 02, 2019, 05:42:45 PM

Hear hear. Bono hatred has nothing to do with taxation and everything to do with traditional Irish begrudgery. Pure and simple.

Ok. So when south park dedicate an episode to how much of a pox he is, is that traditional Irish begrudgery?

Eamonnca1

No. A good example of traditional Irish begrudgery is when Irish people like to crow about how much they hate Bono for no reason other than he's a successful Irishman.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on January 02, 2019, 07:21:58 PM
No. A good example of traditional Irish begrudgery is when Irish people like to crow about how much they hate Bono for no reason other than he's a successful Irishman.

You could be in to something here as I think Micheal O Leary is a pri.ck as well.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Seamus

Try taking the AZT drug he and his buddy Bill Gates pushes on healthy Africans (mainly pregnant women) and lets see what you think of him then.
"I wish I could inspire the same confidence in the truth which is so readily accorded to lies".

Seany

So you also hate Bill Gates, a man who has donated his $65bn fortune to good causes.

dec

Quote from: Seamus on January 02, 2019, 07:43:40 PM

Try taking the AZT drug he and his buddy Bill Gates pushes on healthy Africans (mainly pregnant women) and lets see what you think of him then.

Oh please do tell us all about your AIDS conspiracy theories.

Franko

Saw this quote somewhere, thought it was applicable here.

"Bono might come across as a gobshite but then nobody's forcing you to listen to him. My only problem with Bono is that when he strays out of his lane he comes across as an opinionated London taxi driver who thinks he has to have an opinion on everything whether he understands it or not. If he sticks to singing, I'm all right with that."

The lack of self awareness on this board sometimes is incredible.   ::)

RedHand88

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on January 02, 2019, 07:27:25 PM

You could be in to something here as I think Micheal O Leary is a pri.ck as well.

Anyone that forced their staff to bring their own stationary to work is a pri.ck