Time for U2 to shuffle off before the corpse smells?

Started by Shamrock Shore, March 10, 2014, 03:05:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Hard to ignore the floot's lectures when the media have them plastered all over the place.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Itchy

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on December 28, 2018, 11:12:01 AM
Quote from: Itchy on December 28, 2018, 10:26:03 AM
I don't agree with the tax thing but that aside Bono is a hypocritical p***k, a knob and a patronising ass. He talks about helping the poor but counts mass murderers amongst his friends. People who go to see him play music have to put up with his political lectures. It's not begrudgery it's fact. I personally admire people who do well for themselves in their business or careers but this is different.

Take a a few seconds to read what you have posted and how it applies to quite a few others in Ireland.

No one forces anyone to go along to a U2 concert, if you don'† like the 'lectures' sit at home and listen to the music without the commentary you despise.

This is a forum Owen. If I took your approach I might suggest if you don't like my post, ignore it, block me or unregister your account. But that would be stupid. Bono is a very public person and so he deserves scrutiny from the public, whether that be here or elsewhere.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Itchy on December 28, 2018, 12:47:31 PM
I don't agree with the tax thing but that aside Bono is a hypocritical p***k, a knob and a patronising ass. He talks about helping the poor but counts mass murderers amongst his friends. People who go to see him play music have to put up with his political lectures. It's not begrudgery it's fact. I personally admire people who do well for themselves in their business or careers but this is different.

Take a a few seconds to read what you have posted and how it applies to quite a few others in Ireland.

No one forces anyone to go along to a U2 concert, if you don'† like the 'lectures' sit at home and listen to the music without the commentary you despise.

This is a forum Owen. If I took your approach I might suggest if you don't like my post, ignore it, block me or unregister your account. But that would be stupid. Bono is a very public person and so he deserves scrutiny from the public, whether that be here or elsewhere.

There's no issue with scrutiny. The issue is with misinformed, biased rabble rousing.

Itchy

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 30, 2018, 04:46:07 PM

There's no issue with scrutiny. The issue is with misinformed, biased rabble rousing.

Rabble rousing? What are you on about? He counts bush and Blair as friends, two men who dropped bombs in idiotic wars killing 1000s of men women and children. He then thinks he can lecture the man on the street about the homeless. He's a f**king dick, a dick who l knows f**k all about anything as far as I can tell.

armaghniac

Quote from: Itchy on December 30, 2018, 08:34:16 PM

Rabble rousing? What are you on about? He counts bush and Blair as friends, two men who dropped bombs in idiotic wars killing 1000s of men women and children. He then thinks he can lecture the man on the street about the homeless. He's a f**king dick, a dick who l knows f**k all about anything as far as I can tell.

Rarely indeed does one post get a response proving its point so effectively.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

magpie seanie

Quote from: armaghniac on December 30, 2018, 09:32:29 PM
Quote from: Itchy on December 30, 2018, 08:34:16 PM

Rarely indeed does one post get a response proving its point so effectively.

;D

Defence rests!

Itchy

Are ye his kids, his smugness is rubbing off on ye.

Insane Bolt

Quote from: Itchy on December 31, 2018, 09:28:04 AM

Well are people more likely to listen to Bono.......or you? I might not like him particularly but he has a platform and uses it now and again.

Itchy

Quote from: Insane Bolt on December 31, 2018, 09:33:06 AM

Well are people more likely to listen to Bono.......or you? I might not like him particularly but he has a platform and uses it now and again.

That's the problem, they are more likely to listen to him over many other people because of this fame culture we live in. Bono is all about his own ego. I have never heard him speak with any in-depth knowledge on anything. If I were looking for a celebrity to "follow" id choose someone better than bono,. The problem is some love his music so much they th
Ink he can do nothing wrong, they are like love sick groupies too blind to see their hero for what he is.

Owen Brannigan

You make my point, as with Bono, you don't need to suggest that if I don't like your post/statements, I have a number of options which all involve ignoring or avoiding you.

Everyone already knows that these options exist and most people exercise them while there are always some others who particularly seek to be offended. 

Happy New Year!

sid waddell

Quote from: Itchy on December 31, 2018, 10:01:37 AM

That's the problem, they are more likely to listen to him over many other people because of this fame culture we live in. Bono is all about his own ego. I have never heard him speak with any in-depth knowledge on anything. If I were looking for a celebrity to "follow" id choose someone better than bono,. The problem is some love his music so much they th
Ink he can do nothing wrong, they are like love sick groupies too blind to see their hero for what he is.
What exactly do you fear will happen if people listen to Bono?

Do you fear that people might actually give money to homeless people, or not vote for racist demagogues like Trump or Le Pen or Bolsonaro, or not engage in mindless nationalism?

Exactly what opinions of his do you fear people might listen to?

QuoteThe problem is some love his music so much they th
I love the way you throw in a transparently obvious straw man, while ironically, simultaneously being a transparently obvious straw man.

Bono can literally do no right in your eyes.

I doubt he's too worried, to be honest.

Itchy

Quote from: sid waddell on December 31, 2018, 12:26:10 PM
Quote from: Itchy on December 31, 2018, 10:01:37 AM

What exactly do you fear will happen if people listen to Bono?

Do you fear that people might actually give money to homeless people, or not vote for racist demagogues like Trump or Le Pen or Bolsonaro, or not engage in mindless nationalism?

Exactly what opinions of his do you fear people might listen to?

QuoteThe problem is some love his music so much they th
I love the way you throw in a transparently obvious straw man, while ironically, simultaneously being a transparently obvious straw man.

Bono can literally do no right in your eyes.

I doubt he's too worried, to be honest.

Sid,  I could give you a detailed answer but the simple one is when I find myself on the opposite side of the argument to you I know I am right.

sid waddell

That's a really poor answer to some simple questions which you should have no trouble answering if you are sincere in your views, as opposed to having a childish whinge.

Itchy

Ok Sid, let's pretend you are interested. This article is quite reflective of my own take. For example his nonsense about going to jail for singing the blues in a place where people have bigger issues such as getting murdered or raped - well that's bono trying to make himself relevant and central to the situation...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2017/11/11/the-hypocrisy-of-bono-and-his-one-charity/amp/

For balance, there is also a right of reply here...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2017/11/14/one-campaign-responds-to-column-on-the-charity/amp/

sid waddell

Quote from: Itchy on December 31, 2018, 01:29:14 PM
Ok Sid, let's pretend you are interested. This article is quite reflective of my own take. For example his nonsense about going to jail for singing the blues in a place where people have bigger issues such as getting murdered or raped - well that's bono trying to make himself relevant and central to the situation...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2017/11/11/the-hypocrisy-of-bono-and-his-one-charity/amp/

For balance, there is also a right of reply here...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2017/11/14/one-campaign-responds-to-column-on-the-charity/amp/
I'm asking you to describe in your own words what you fear will happen as a result of people listening to Bono.

Posting a couple of articles nobody is going to read is not doing that. It's deflection.

Given that you fear or "have a problem" that people will listen to Bono, one has to assume that you believe he has some horrible views and that people listening to him will produce negative outcomes for society.

What are these horrible views, and what are these potential negative outcomes?

I mean, I fear that people will listen to Donald Trump or Peter Casey or Matteo Salvini or Jair Bolsonaro, because I believe these people have horrible, disgusting, hate filled views. Yet these are views which are sadly very seductive and persuasive to the easily fooled. I fear that if people listen to them and take them seriously, the outcome for the societies in which they live will be very harmful.

I'm really struggling to think of why anybody would be in any way similarly concerned that people would listen to Bono.

So, why, in your own words, are you so concerned that people might listen to him?