Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Goals_Will_Come on February 08, 2019, 12:59:40 PM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on February 08, 2019, 11:38:11 AM
Quote from: clarshack on February 08, 2019, 11:18:47 AM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on February 08, 2019, 10:44:26 AM
We have got through a number of players from them underage teams and they have helped us stay as a top 5/6 county. But underage success is no guarantee of senior success and we are up against the Dubs who won 4 u21 titles this decade (u21 success is more likely to translate to senior success than minors). They are the county who are combining that underage success with huge money, so it is a struggle for us to get past them.

it is but at same time it is also worrying that Tyrone haven't won an Ulster Minor since 2012 (u-17 success in 2017 excluded). the longest drought at that level prior to this was between 1978-1988. we just don't seem to be producing the same quality of footballers consistently compared to previous eras.

Agreed. We have definitely slipped back badly at underage level compared to the 2000's. That 2015 u21 success was a one off at that level as we have struggled at the grade consistently this last ten years as well. That was our only year to even win the ulster title. Ulster titles have also dried up at minor level where we have been playing second fiddle to Derry. Certainly a worrying trend for going forward.
We did win the All Ireland U17 in 2017.

It was great to win it but have to take into account there was also an u18 competition this year which some counties (who were going well) focused on at the expenses of the u17.

tyrone08

The last 2 years have been very misleading. Yes we reached the semi final and then a final but we had easy runs. I dont recall tyrone beating Kerry, Mayo or Dublin in the later stages of an AI for a long time now. Point is we are way behind the top teams.

Theres no shame in losing but its the manner of our losses that bother me. Consistently trying to defend while we are getting beat by 3-4points. Would rather tyrone go all out and playing attacking football and get beat by 10 points than watch them defend a 3 point loss.

This is why i have for years said its time for mickey to go. Hes far too stubborn to change, watching tyrone year after year with the same issues at fault is like ground hog day.

Common question is who will replace him? My answer is who cares. So we dont win the mckenna cup big deal. With monaghan, armagh and donegal improving Tyrone wont win ulster with thr current style of play

SkillfulBill

Quote from: tyrone08 on February 08, 2019, 03:31:41 PM
The last 2 years have been very misleading. Yes we reached the semi final and then a final but we had easy runs. I dont recall tyrone beating Kerry, Mayo or Dublin in the later stages of an AI for a long time now. Point is we are way behind the top teams.

Theres no shame in losing but its the manner of our losses that bother me. Consistently trying to defend while we are getting beat by 3-4points. Would rather tyrone go all out and playing attacking football and get beat by 10 points than watch them defend a 3 point loss.

This is why i have for years said its time for mickey to go. Hes far too stubborn to change, watching tyrone year after year with the same issues at fault is like ground hog day.

Common question is who will replace him? My answer is who cares. So we dont win the mckenna cup big deal. With monaghan, armagh and donegal improving Tyrone wont win ulster with thr current style of play

Honestly think this post sums it up for me. I am just tired watching Tyrone play in the robotic way of the last few years and people wanting to keep a failed system of play because Mickey wants to stay on in his job.

trailer

bigtogs

Quote from: trailer on February 10, 2019, 07:19:21 PM
What is going on? Are we this bad?

Would give you the scower looking at it but was a good point all the same,all looked lost at one stage....everything just too slow simple as that,did i see Mickey taking a verbal go at Mattie Donnelly at final whistle??

trailer

Quote from: bigtogs on February 10, 2019, 07:22:06 PM
Quote from: trailer on February 10, 2019, 07:19:21 PM
What is going on? Are we this bad?

Would give you the scower looking at it but was a good point all the same,all looked lost at one stage....everything just too slow simple as that,did i see Mickey taking a verbal go at Mattie Donnelly at final whistle??

Yeah a good point in what realistically now is about staying in Div 1. But we were in an AIF last year. I honestly thought they'd kick on from that starting with a serious league campaign.

WBF

I see a lot of talk on Twitter about this Thailand holiday... has it came down to people slagging players now outside of football as well as what happens on the field? Maybe I'm naive to something that happened on the holiday was there a falling out between players?

bigtogs

Quote from: WBF on February 10, 2019, 08:59:43 PM
I see a lot of talk on Twitter about this Thailand holiday... has it came down to people slagging players now outside of football as well as what happens on the field? Maybe I'm naive to something that happened on the holiday was there a falling out between players?

Not that i know of...or to be honest do i care.... lads will be lads....big game v Monaghan coming up in 2 weeks...give 2 weeks to get things sorted....

Under Lights

Bit of a split in the camp and it shows. Rows carrying on from the holiday, clearly affecting performances.

tyrone08

Does anyone know what the supposed row was about? Must havebeen serious enough to still affect the team

omagh_gael

One point from play from outfield players in second half with that gale force wind is pathetic.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: omagh_gael on February 10, 2019, 10:03:33 PM
One point from play from outfield players in second half with that gale force wind is pathetic.

And the goal ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

clarshack

Quote from: tyrone08 on February 10, 2019, 09:57:47 PM
Does anyone know what the supposed row was about? Must havebeen serious enough to still affect the team

No idea what has happened in this case but there's usually only one reason why lads will fall out among themselves.

omagh_gael

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on February 10, 2019, 10:37:35 PM

And the goal ;)

And it was a fecking point attempt that dropped short! Ros scored 10 from play in first half! Something not right in the setup.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: omagh_gael on February 10, 2019, 11:44:26 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on February 10, 2019, 10:37:35 PM

And the goal ;)

And it was a fecking point attempt that dropped short! Ros scored 10 from play in first half! Something not right in the setup.

The wind was a HUGE factor I thought, Ros couldn't miss in the first half, but couldn't score in the second.

And yes, we didn't exploit that advantage to the same degree in the second half.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...