Football qualifier route 2018

Started by cornetto, April 04, 2018, 12:49:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cornetto

Qualifiers format

Twenty eight of the twenty nine teams beaten in the provincial championships enter the All-Ireland qualifiers, which are knockout. Sixteen of the seventeen teams (New York do not enter the qualifiers) eliminated before their provincial semi-finals play eight matches in round 1,
with the winners of these games playing the eight beaten provincial semi-finalists in round 2.
The eight winning teams from round 2 play-off against each other in round 3,
with the four winning teams facing the four beaten provincial finalists in round 4 to complete the double-elimination format.

AZOffaly

Quote from: cornetto on April 04, 2018, 12:49:57 PM

With many of the top teams out in the first round going in to the qualifiers definitely a minefield.
Take the losers of galway/mayo.tyrone/Monahan. donegal/cavan nothing to stop them being drawn against each other.It really shows the significance of these first round games.

Qualifiers format

Twenty eight of the twenty nine teams beaten in the provincial championships enter the All-Ireland qualifiers, which are knockout. Sixteen of the seventeen teams (New York do not enter the qualifiers) eliminated before their provincial semi-finals play eight matches in round 1,
with the winners of these games playing the eight beaten provincial semi-finalists in round 2.
with the four winning teams facing the four beaten provincial finalists in round 4 to complete the double-elimination format.

Nice that they assume New York will lose :) If they won, I'd assume all 17 losers would be in...

Owenmoresider

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 04, 2018, 12:51:37 PM
Quote from: cornetto on April 04, 2018, 12:49:57 PM

With many of the top teams out in the first round going in to the qualifiers definitely a minefield.
Take the losers of galway/mayo.tyrone/Monahan. donegal/cavan nothing to stop them being drawn against each other.It really shows the significance of these first round games.

Qualifiers format

Nice that they assume New York will lose :) If they won, I'd assume all 17 losers would be in...
They're playing Leitrim this year so it's quite the assumption, if NY were clearly eyeing up our scalp last year you'd imagine they fancy their chances of taking down Leitrim even more.

RedHand88

Didn't new York come close a few years ago? Maybe 2014? Would be some craic if they won.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: RedHand88 on April 04, 2018, 12:56:02 PM
Didn't new York come close a few years ago? Maybe 2014? Would be some craic if they won.
They lost to Roscommon by a point in 2016, before that Leitrim went to extra-time in 2003. Gave Galway a scare around 2010 as well, I think most other visits were relatively comfortable wins in the end.

tippabu

Taken this from Wikipedia so not sure how reliable but I don't like it, if Donegal are in round 1 they could possibly end up playing away in waterford, Wexford and say Carlow 3 qualifiers in a row, how's that fair to their supporters and players. Equally I know the idea behind might seem good to give weaker teams a better chance but would Louth being away to Armagh really be giving Armagh a better chance than they need. As I said this is taken from Wikipedia which is usually decent for info but I don't know how reliable it is

The A and B split system for the qualifier draws introduced in 2014 was discontinued after 2017. In rounds one to three, teams from divisions three and four of the National Football League have home advantage if drawn against teams from divisions one or two.[12] All matches are knockout.

AZOffaly

Quote from: cornetto on April 04, 2018, 01:02:55 PM
New York can't travel I'm afraid a lot of players may not get back in to the states!

I know that, but the assumption is they will lose. What happens if New York wins?

Owenmoresider

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 04, 2018, 01:21:20 PM
Quote from: cornetto on April 04, 2018, 01:02:55 PM
New York can't travel I'm afraid a lot of players may not get back in to the states!

I know that, but the assumption is they will lose. What happens if New York wins?
It's a question Connacht Council hope they never have to find the answer to.

magpie seanie

If NY win there will be chaos. The qualifiers won't be a major issue - there will have to be a preliminary tie which is inconvenient but probably manageable. The Connacht championship would be a mess. Hard to see NY travelling and no way will their next opponents want to go to NY. I reckon the latter is more likely in that event.

Would be very interesting if it ever happens.

AZOffaly

That being said (and I think you're right Seanie), what on earth are New York in the competition for? If they won't/can't take part in the qualifiers, and won't be able to fulfill further fixtures regardless of how well they get on, why do they enter? It'd be like entering Wimbledon, serving the first game, and then walking out every year.

If New York want to stay involved, then maybe there should just be a trip to New York in May for the Division 4 winners to play a game.

rosnarun

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 04, 2018, 03:41:49 PM
That being said (and I think you're right Seanie), what on earth are New York in the competition for? If they won't/can't take part in the qualifiers, and won't be able to fulfill further fixtures regardless of how well they get on, why do they enter? It'd be like entering Wimbledon, serving the first game, and then walking out every year.

If New York want to stay involved, then maybe there should just be a trip to New York in May for the Division 4 winners to play a game.
probably to ensure that the millions Kerry get every year keeps flowing
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

AZOffaly

Quote from: rosnarun on April 04, 2018, 03:56:19 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on April 04, 2018, 03:41:49 PM

probably to ensure that the millions Kerry get every year keeps flowing

What has New York false starting every year got to do with Kerry? Kerry men in New York will always be pumped for money, just like they are in Boston.

Cunny Funt

If New York win v Leitrim they will travel to play Roscommon in Hyde Park. The game is scheduled for a Saturday to allow the New York players a enough time to be back for work.

Itchy

Quote from: Cunny Funt on April 04, 2018, 04:11:23 PM
If New York win v Leitrim they will travel to play Roscommon in Hyde Park. The game is scheduled for a Saturday to allow the New York players a enough time to be back for work.

Good old Connacht where a provincial final place can be obtained by beating New York or Leitrim in your own pitch.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Itchy on April 04, 2018, 04:17:38 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on April 04, 2018, 04:11:23 PM

Good old Roscommon where a provincial final place can be obtained by beating New York or Leitrim in your own pitch.

I fixed that for you