?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

boosabum

Quote from: Clown on May 12, 2011, 09:36:30 AM
Quote from: boosabum on May 12, 2011, 09:26:18 AM
Just happen to flick on the game last night a few minutes before the incident occured, got me thinking about lennon and what type of persona he has or is trying to portray.
1. These is no doubt (IMO) his demeanour does bring some of the trouble down on himself
2. He is one selfish man if he's happy to put his family through this orderal for the sake of his celtic iconic status
3. He's not that good of a manager when a he can't break the stranglehold of a near bankrupt club in a 8 -10 th rate european league.
4. is he trying to make himself into some type of martyr ala ML King or Malcom X. lot of talk last night saying what a shame it would be if he walked away. What's he going to prove by staying ?

I have loads of sympathy for him and his family but all he need do walk away and enjoy some normality elsewhere

Your some p***k. Typical comments from someone who'd i would say knows f**k all about the situation or scottish football in general

So basically your blaming Lennon for all that happened last night, as per usual? his persona brings it on? what do you want him to do, get a new face??

as for point 3 there - Can you remember the complete mess that Celtic were in last year, Lennon has improved the club greatly this season. The very fact that band-wagon jumpers (like yourself probably) are taking an interest in Celtic again this season is probably proof of that

The media/SFA have whipped up an hysteria against lennon for the past year, they've to take some of the blame IMO, a good manager is going to be forced out of his job.

Can anyone tell me what exactly he has done to deserve all this? hold his ears? square up to Sally McCoist? Complain about a Celtic player being sent off earlier in the year? Are these incidents now deserving of living a life in fear

Boosabum says he should quit and let the hate-filled bigots have their way

Good man, i spent a few years living in scotland in the late 90's and made plenty of trips to parkhead, easter road, tynecastle, taanadice and other grounds to see matches with and without celtic, so i aint no bandwagon jumper, just someone who likes football. Plenty of scottish fans will tell you it's the irish influenece on matchdays that turns the atmosphere sour. After one visit to tynecastle in februray i got dogs abuse for wearing an green irish cap to protect form the wind and rain. i let the bigots win and did'nt bother to go back
Is Lennon on a one man campaign to stamp out the bigots by risking the torrent of abuse to his family. What's the ultimate prize, a chamionship win and celtic immortality, to be able to be mentioned in the same breath as win jansen and dr joe venglous

supersarsfields

Quote from: boosabum on May 12, 2011, 10:58:07 AM
Quote from: Clown on May 12, 2011, 09:36:30 AM
Just happen to flick on the game last night a few minutes before the incident occured, got me thinking about lennon and what type of persona he has or is trying to portray.
1. These is no doubt (IMO) his demeanour does bring some of the trouble down on himself
2. He is one selfish man if he's happy to put his family through this orderal for the sake of his celtic iconic status
3. He's not that good of a manager when a he can't break the stranglehold of a near bankrupt club in a 8 -10 th rate european league.
4. is he trying to make himself into some type of martyr ala ML King or Malcom X. lot of talk last night saying what a shame it would be if he walked away. What's he going to prove by staying ?

I have loads of sympathy for him and his family but all he need do walk away and enjoy some normality elsewhere

Your some p***k. Typical comments from someone who'd i would say knows f**k all about the situation or scottish football in general

So basically your blaming Lennon for all that happened last night, as per usual? his persona brings it on? what do you want him to do, get a new face??

as for point 3 there - Can you remember the complete mess that Celtic were in last year, Lennon has improved the club greatly this season. The very fact that band-wagon jumpers (like yourself probably) are taking an interest in Celtic again this season is probably proof of that

The media/SFA have whipped up an hysteria against lennon for the past year, they've to take some of the blame IMO, a good manager is going to be forced out of his job.

Can anyone tell me what exactly he has done to deserve all this? hold his ears? square up to Sally McCoist? Complain about a Celtic player being sent off earlier in the year? Are these incidents now deserving of living a life in fear

Boosabum says he should quit and let the hate-filled bigots have their way

Good man, i spent a few years living in scotland in the late 90's and made plenty of trips to parkhead, easter road, tynecastle, taanadice and other grounds to see matches with and without celtic, so i aint no bandwagon jumper, just someone who likes football. Plenty of scottish fans will tell you it's the irish influenece on matchdays that turns the atmosphere sour. After one visit to tynecastle in februray i got dogs abuse for wearing an green irish cap to protect form the wind and rain. i let the bigots win and did'nt bother to go back
Is Lennon on a one man campaign to stamp out the bigots by risking the torrent of abuse to his family. What's the ultimate prize, a chamionship win and celtic immortality, to be able to be mentioned in the same breath as win jansen and dr joe venglous

So if you don't give in to them your either a martyr or on a one man campaign?

boosabum

Quote from: SambaSaffron on May 12, 2011, 10:49:00 AM

1. His demeanour? The only thing that brings this on him is being an Irish Catholic in charge of Celtic. O maybe you are referring to him cupping his ears? Oh, I suppose he deserves it then.
2. Aye, I'm sure thats exactly what he's thinking. So you're saying he should just resign because of the threats, thus giving up? I wouldn't blame him if he did, but fair play to him for lasting this long.
3. Noone is saying he's a great manager. It's his first year of being a manager, he's made mistakes. It's made out that he had a huge transfer kitty to spend - his biggest signing was less than £3million, a lot of the others less than £1million. Rangers brought in Jelavic for over £3million, and already had a stronger squad obviously. Celtic last year were a shambles.
4. Same point as number 2.

I have no problem with Lennon, of course he gets more abuse than anyone should get, but there seems to be some consensus that by him staying as manager is some type of victory. From a football point of view, If he wins a league with celtic, is he any better than strackan, his career might see him get a championship job at best on the back of it. There is some perception that he'll triumph for the greater good, the only thing that should matter is the good of your nearest and dearest, whats wrong with living in France with the sun on your back well away from the abuse. Scottish football needs bigots to generate interest in a duopoly, it's a long time since alex ferguson and the mcclean brothers provided entertainment and competition to the league, so for all the righteousness been displayed this morning by the troubled masses they must have their heads buried in the sand cos this aint nothing new

Clown

It gets better, Lennon should move to France due to the bigoted knuckledraggers not liking him!!

supersarsfields

Quote from: boosabum on May 12, 2011, 11:17:36 AM

1. His demeanour? The only thing that brings this on him is being an Irish Catholic in charge of Celtic. O maybe you are referring to him cupping his ears? Oh, I suppose he deserves it then.
2. Aye, I'm sure thats exactly what he's thinking. So you're saying he should just resign because of the threats, thus giving up? I wouldn't blame him if he did, but fair play to him for lasting this long.
3. Noone is saying he's a great manager. It's his first year of being a manager, he's made mistakes. It's made out that he had a huge transfer kitty to spend - his biggest signing was less than £3million, a lot of the others less than £1million. Rangers brought in Jelavic for over £3million, and already had a stronger squad obviously. Celtic last year were a shambles.

I have no problem with Lennon, of course he gets more abuse than anyone should get, but there seems to be some consensus that by him staying as manager is some type of victory. From a football point of view, If he wins a league with celtic, is he any better than strackan, his career might see him get a championship job at best on the back of it. There is some perception that he'll triumph for the greater good, the only thing that should matter is the good of your nearest and dearest, whats wrong with living in France with the sun on your back well away from the abuse. Scottish football needs bigots to generate interest in a duopoly, it's a long time since alex ferguson and the mcclean brothers provided entertainment and competition to the league, so for all the righteousness been displayed this morning by the troubled masses they must have their heads buried in the sand cos this aint nothing new

And then there's others who seem to think that just because he didn't give in he's a martyr or on a campaign. It could be that there's a middle of the road explanation. In that he just wants to get on with his job.

Ulick

Can't say I've ever took more than a passing interest in Celtic since I was a boy, but I'm absolutely staggered that there is even any debate about this. Neil Lennon has been subjected to the vilest verbal and physical abuse because of his participation in a sports area which is supposed to promote fair play and respect. It matters not one iota if he held his hand up to his ears during some previous game, if the people who go to these games can't control themselves and don't know where to draw the line then the whole lot should be shut down. At the very least Hearts should be booted out of that league for a year as a sign of how unacceptable we all find that kind of behaviour. If they aren't, then Celtic should withdraw for the year and play exhibition games around the world or something. Have we forgotten the fate of Belfast Celtic?   

boosabum

Quote from: supersarsfields on May 12, 2011, 11:28:43 AM

And then there's others who seem to think that just because he didn't give in he's a martyr or on a campaign. It could be that there's a middle of the road explanation. In that he just wants to get on with his job.

Spot on, but is the job worth all the misery to himself and his family. Is any job worth that. I head a few weeks back that his family are moved to a safe house when celtic play away games, madness

Clown

Only Lennon and his family know that and only they are in the position to decide
He certainly shouldnt be getting criticism for trying to ignore the threats and get on with his job

RedandGreenSniper

I think there are two separate issues here and they shouldn't be morphed into one. Some here are saying that Lennon's behaviour is why he is getting the abuse he is. That's not right. That's almost absolving the guilt of the attackers. They need to be pursued swiftly and with the full rigour of the law. It is an awful blight on the game in Scotland.

But I think we can talk about Lennon's behaviour too. People are comparing him to O'Neill, Moyes, Ferguson et al. I don't remember any of them engaging bitterly with an opposition player, even if it was someone as hateful as Diouf. And I certainly don't recall any of them going nose to nose with someone from the opposition management like Lennon did with McCoist. He's the most volatile manager I've ever seen in Scotland or England, including Neil Warnock. It doesn't for one second give anyone the right to do what they are doing and these people should be chased from football grounds for good. But it is not contradictory to say that Lennon is aware of the 'type' of supporters in Scottish football and while to say that any of these threats to him are his fault would be wrong, better behaviour from his on the sideline would probably help things. Ridding these thugs from the stands is not going to happen overnight. Hopefully the Scottish FA and the police will start to act a lot more swiftly than they have been. In the mean time Neil Lennon does need to ease up a little himself as well.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Abble

lennon does no more or no less than any other football manager. don't get me wrong on that.
what i'm saying is he is managing a team in a league / environment which does not appear very conducive to his actions. if he is not aware of that by this stage then surely he must take a back seat for a couple of years or manage outside of Scotland.
i was in no way saying he is at fault for receiving beatings, bombs, etc but he has maybe the worst timing i've ever seen from any manager in Scotland to come out with certain stuff and he is in a way contributing to the bigotry/sectarianism that exists there. it may not be extreme but even the small things can be picked up by the wrong people.

BarryBreensBandage

Let's not forget where all this started, with the death threats from Loyalists while Lennon was playing for Northern Ireland.
Did he not quit then for his family's sake? And still they come after him.
Whatever he has done, has any player/manager had to go through what he has gone through?

Quote from today's indo:

And Templeton (Hearts Player), while joining Jefferies in his criticism of the incident, said Lennon's comments in reference to Hearts' 4-0 loss at Rangers last Saturday may have had an impact on the atmosphere at the match.

Templeton, who did not play last night due to a hamstring injury, said: "I think what had happened previously in the papers, about lying down, added to it (the atmosphere)."

The Celtic boss had referred to Rangers' 5-0 win over Motherwell the week before they cruised past Hearts, when he said: "What we are looking for is somebody to compete and give Rangers a game. There has not been much evidence of that in their previous two games."

Jefferies described the comments as "disrespectful", while Lennon said he was "misinterpreted".

So, Alex Ferguson accuses a team of gamesmanship, and he is called a wily old fox.
Neil Lennon does it and he is inciting crowd hatred.

This sort of behaviour toward Lennon is ridiculous and wrong. And I would have the same opinion if was happening to David Jeffries.

Yeah he could help himself, but I have a feeling no matter what he does now, even resigning from Celtic, he will always remain a target. There are those who have had it in for him for years.
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

rossie mad

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on May 12, 2011, 12:27:12 PM
I think there are two separate issues here and they shouldn't be morphed into one. Some here are saying that Lennon's behaviour is why he is getting the abuse he is. That's not right. That's almost absolving the guilt of the attackers. They need to be pursued swiftly and with the full rigour of the law. It is an awful blight on the game in Scotland.

But I think we can talk about Lennon's behaviour too. People are comparing him to O'Neill, Moyes, Ferguson et al. I don't remember any of them engaging bitterly with an opposition player, even if it was someone as hateful as Diouf. And I certainly don't recall any of them going nose to nose with someone from the opposition management like Lennon did with McCoist. He's the most volatile manager I've ever seen in Scotland or England, including Neil Warnock. It doesn't for one second give anyone the right to do what they are doing and these people should be chased from football grounds for good. But it is not contradictory to say that Lennon is aware of the 'type' of supporters in Scottish football and while to say that any of these threats to him are his fault would be wrong, better behaviour from his on the sideline would probably help things. Ridding these thugs from the stands is not going to happen overnight. Hopefully the Scottish FA and the police will start to act a lot more swiftly than they have been. In the mean time Neil Lennon does need to ease up a little himself as well.

So wengers refusal to shake daglishs hand a few weeks ago and the views exchanged arent any different?
What about pulis and Hughes earlier in the season?
Wengers oubursts at players who injure his players.
Gary Nevilles behaviour in manchester derbys as well as against liverpool.
There are many more examples where behaviour by mangers/players south of the border can be classed as intimadation/stupidity/bad behaviour or whatever people want to class it as.
However i dont hear the same resentment towards some of the above.

What about Martin O Neill?
Everyone remembers his running up and down a touchline jumping like a looney everytime celtic scored whether it be parkhead,easter road,ibrox or pittodrie.
Yet this was seen as accepatable.
If lennon did the same he would condemened for it and said to be spreading hatred.

Applesisapples

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on May 12, 2011, 12:27:12 PM

Lennon didn't spark either of those incidents, McCoist and Diouf did.

lynchbhoy

thats bullsiht lads
mccoist was a recent example of being the actual agressor in the incident- but has been let off without incuring any ban

plenty of managers have a go at each other - I am trying to remember was it jimmy calderwood or a hearts manager that had to be restrained last season (nothing to do with Celtic)
it happens in the english leagues all the time too. spats and disagreements, refusing to shake hands etc
all that rubbish
its not sectarian then and no one seems to think that the fans are in any way goaded by these incidents (other than for man u and arsenal fans to dislike each other)
fux sake cop on with the excuses.
Lennon has been getting bullets, attacks, death threats since even before Celtic Manager.
...its been allowed to go on...

there are two problems alright
the scottish establishment
the scots fa

the fans are neanderthals.
Celtic fans and Celtic FC are nothing like the scumbags that are indulged by sfa and the clubs like rangers and to a lesser extent hearts, airdrie etc
it isnt two sides of the same coin.....Celtic have a few knuckle draggers I expect, but the club and usually 99.99% of their fans behaviour has been exemplary.
No rioting when beaten by rangers - unlike the converse...etc etc

lets see what the media/scots fa/ scots police/scots parliment do this week and next week - I suspect that this will fade away until next season and the first rangers/hearts loss / Celtic win :'( >:(

Declan

Suspicious package found at Celtic Park
Thursday, May 12, 2011 - 01:44 PM

An investigation was launched today after a suspicious package was found at Celtic Park in Glasgow.

Police were called at around 10.30am and officers are at the scene.

A spokeswoman for Strathclyde Police said: "We can confirm that we are currently investigating a suspicious package discovered at Celtic FC today.

"Inquiries are ongoing."

A spokeswoman for Celtic said there was no comment at this time but may be a statement later.

Read more: http://www.examiner.ie/breakingnews/sport/suspicious-package-found-at-celtic-park-504785.html#ixzz1M90kqVbg