?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

lynchbhoy

Quote from: T Fearon on March 29, 2010, 03:48:38 PM
Lynchboy. Not wishing to get into an argument here, but Walter was never in charge of Rangers during O'Neill's time in Glasgow, except you are talking about head to heads between Everton and Leicester City (managed by Smith and O'Neill respectively). Strachan did outdo Mc Leish in his first season though, and he has shown at Birmingham that he is no slouch.
Strachan's teams held their own in three out of four CL meetings with Man Utd, and I think most people would credit him for getting out of the group in 2006/07. His away record was piss poor yet so was O'Neills in Europe, or in the CL at any rate.

Strachan has come in mid season at Middlesbro and he has them still in contention (unlike Mowbray who was there at the start of the season, brought in loads of players in the summer and in January) but was never in contention.

I think most people would agree that regardless of their respective shortcomings, Strachan was / is a much better manager than Mowbray, who I doubt will ever work again at any significant level
Sorry , I thought smith was there for the first yesr or so of MON's reign?
strachan came in after barely a month gone in the season so thats pants.
he has taken a decent enough side that were possibly not quite good enough and turned thminto sihte.
Same as he did with Celtic.
Mcleish is doing ok - but with POTS of cash to spend. IMO mcleish is pants and was taking rangers down as he had no money to spend with them and was fresh out of ideas. With practically the same crew smith dismanteled strachan.

strachan has taken boro OUT of the playoff contention they were in !
Beating man u was more than lucky as Celtic were outplayed in all of the games and free kicks and 11 men behind the ball and rarely tried a shot ! Any realistic Celtic fan will admit man u were robbed, but dont care when something good like that happens!

MON's away record in eurpoe was poor - but he had far superior opposition to play against almost all of the time. A few bad results there too. strachan lost the Fortress Celtic Park mantle too - his home record was poor enough let alone the away record. Artmedia and shakthar were two of the poorest I have ever seen Celtic - ICT and st.mirren-esque (before shakthar were any use btw)

the colonel

I thing we should ban all talk of Mowbray and Strachan from now. We all get the fact Tony is a Strachan fan, the rest may not be. Yawn
the difference between success and failure is energy

T Fearon

Advocaat was O'Neill's adversary in his first couple of years in Glasgow, and not a very good one. After all he spent £12m on Flo and bankrupted the Gers in the process :D

Ah, its too easy to say Strachan was all bad and O'Neill was all good. Maybe if Strachan had access to the funds made available to O'Neill he could have produced a more entertaining side.Also if Boro had been doing so well why was Southgate sacked?

What I would argue was , both O'Neill and Strachan were far superior than Mowbray, using the only yardstick that means anything...trophies won.

Little point in arguing about the past, how was good and bad etc. O'Neill and Strachan proved they were worthy Celtic Managers. Mowbray didn't.At the end of the day,even if I was in charge, Celtic should be winning SPLs hands down.Lets hope the new manager whoever he is, Lennon or someone else, rectifies the problems.

PS Tam Cowan on Mowbray in Saturday's Daily Record. "Mowbray wanted Celtic to play like Barcelona, but his team was more Matalan than Catalan" :D :D

lynchbhoy

Quote from: T Fearon on March 29, 2010, 04:41:16 PM
Advocaat was O'Neill's adversary in his first couple of years in Glasgow, and not a very good one. After all he spent £12m on Flo and bankrupted the Gers in the process :D

Ah, its too easy to say Strachan was all bad and O'Neill was all good. Maybe if Strachan had access to the funds made available to O'Neill he could have produced a more entertaining side.Also if Boro had been doing so well why was Southgate sacked?

What I would argue was , both O'Neill and Strachan were far superior than Mowbray, using the only yardstick that means anything...trophies won.

Little point in arguing about the past, how was good and bad etc. O'Neill and Strachan proved they were worthy Celtic Managers. Mowbray didn't.At the end of the day,even if I was in charge, Celtic should be winning SPLs hands down.Lets hope the new manager whoever he is, Lennon or someone else, rectifies the problems.

PS Tam Cowan on Mowbray in Saturday's Daily Record. "Mowbray wanted Celtic to play like Barcelona, but his team was more Matalan than Catalan" :D :D
mowbray didnt get the time to prove anything
he was as good(or bad) as strachan.
you are only as good as your last season and mowbray has had two bad years, as does strachan - whose past two seasons are most probably WORSE !

wee ginger cannot be included in the same ballpark as MON.
He's had money at boro and made a bigger balls of a 'winning' team than mowbray did with a losing team. He had money at Celtic too - rem 4.4 million for Scott brown !!!

my point all along is that Celtic need to start getting managers that are not from the bargain bin like strachan and mowbray. As the past few seasons have shown why a good manager and investing the cash to pay him is vitally important.

Main Street

Over and over (as the song goes)  ;D
The day will surely come when you guys can agree to disagree.

T Fearon

Yes, though I just regard this as a difference of opinion not an argument. We will hardly persuade each other to see this issue differently I suppose so I'm ready to agree to disagree

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Gary Bombscare sent off for Wigan this evening.
Tbc....

Lamh Dhearg Alba

I see the Strachan obsession from certain posters continues but still no admission they were very wrong on Mowbray :D. Lennon has been saying he has been taking advice from MON and Strachan so nice easy scapegoat on here if it doesnt go well for him....all down to WGS.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on March 30, 2010, 12:48:17 AM
I see the Strachan obsession from certain posters continues but still no admission they were very wrong on Mowbray :D. Lennon has been saying he has been taking advice from MON and Strachan so nice easy scapegoat on here if it doesnt go well for him....all down to WGS.
sacking a manager in the first year doesnt give them much of a chance.
Again should not be taking in the cheaper guys like Mowbray and strachan in the first place.
While mowbray might not be in alex fergusons league, if fergie got the chop when he deserved to many moons ago (in his first couple of seasons with man u) like the celtic board have done - then man u may well be in the div 2/championship by now - where they were headed at that stage - rather than continuing to chase CL's!

Mowbrays biggest fault was that he didnt cull the (strachans) deadwood earlier in his tenure and he paid for it.

illdecide

I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

T Fearon

Most expert opinion (and thats not just mine by the way ;D) was that Mowbray alienated too many of the old guard (who have 3 SPL medals in their pockets) and discarded too many too soon. For example letting Mc Manus and Caldwell (two internationals) go, with Loovens injury problems, effectivvely meant that he staked his job on a teenage central defensive pairing that was largely untried.

At least Mc Manus will be back in the summer.

Estimator

Ulster League Champions 2009

lynchbhoy

Quote from: T Fearon on March 30, 2010, 11:23:37 AM
Most expert opinion (and thats not just mine by the way ;D) was that Mowbray alienated too many of the old guard (who have 3 SPL medals in their pockets) and discarded too many too soon. For example letting Mc Manus and Caldwell (two internationals) go, with Loovens injury problems, effectivvely meant that he staked his job on a teenage central defensive pairing that was largely untried.
At least Mc Manus will be back in the summer.
thats complete bulls**t !
'old guard' ?
these are guys that you are talking about are not 'has beens' - they have 'never been's' and were not Celtic Park 'old guard' they were never good enough as central defenders
I hope somone buys mcmanus as I have said on here and long before it that while he is a nice lad and a celtic fan, thats not enough as he hasnt the talent or the positioning let alone a poor left peg and a worse right one.
caldwell -  ::) he is being found out again at wigan....and he was a rubbish defender at hibs too !

btw Mowbray bought three centre halves (Hoiveld, Rogne and Thompson) and brought back O'dea (who was sent away to re-learn and restore his cnfidence as the last season under strachan had destroyed him).
Thats 5 centre halves- unlucky that three of them (inc loovens) have been more or less inj since Christmas.
as for internationals....scotland are closer to the bottom feeders like north of Ireland than brazil or Spain !

T Fearon

3 league medals in their pockets all the same, which is three more than Fortune etc will have, when (hopefully) he's moved on at the end of the season.

I thought Mc Manus had a towering game against Man Ure in the CL 1-1 draw in Glasgow in 2008.

As for Caldwell, I don't understand this. Surely he wouldn't be plying his trade in the EPL if he was as bad as people make out?

The most disturbing thing is, that according to Hinkel, Mowbray brutally told those he did'nt rate that they were crap, which is hardly confidence inspiring. All well and good if you are going to have a purge and bring in better players than the ones you're getting rid off. In Mowbray's case, the players brought in were significantly worse than the ones let go.

Unfortunately Celtic are not in the financial position to pay top dollar for top class managers (and the job itself wouldn't be attractive to them either), so we're stuck with candidates of the calibre of Strachan and Mowbray. I think Lennon should be given every chance.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Rankers getting humped by St Johnstone 4-1, it's a start!
Tbc....