Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

T Fearon

In terms of centre halves we could do worse than buy Rob Jones (Hibernians), Have seen this guy live a few times and he never fails to impress.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: T Fearon on June 24, 2009, 11:11:04 AM
In terms of centre halves we could do worse than buy Rob Jones (Hibernians), Have seen this guy live a few times and he never fails to impress.
have thought this for the past few seasons myself!
at 6' 5" he is the kind of player MON would have liked too !
Good tackler, not too bad on pace for a big guy and very good positional sense.

I'd have him and Loovens as my centre half pairing !

T Fearon

Who is Simon Cox? Plays for Swindon apparently and Mowbray is about to pay £2.5m for him?

Loovens keen to stay according to Daily Record in spite of interest from Birmingham and Brown getting fit for Champions League qualifier.

clarshack

Quote from: T Fearon on June 24, 2009, 11:11:04 AM

he was very impressive in the 2nd last game of the season at easter road.

not disappointed to have lost out in the race for fortune. his goals ratio is very poor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marc-Antoine_Fortun%C3%A9) and would be no better than the 2 donkeys already up front.

T Fearon

Has the James Mc Carthy pursuit died the death? I hope not as this lad is a definite Celtic star in the making.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Back page of the daily ranger today - Hull after Scott McDonald, talking about silly money about 6-6.5 million!
Ffs for that price I'd get his coat for him.
Tbc....

longball

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on June 26, 2009, 10:27:10 AM
Back page of the daily ranger today - Hull after Scott McDonald, talking about silly money about 6-6.5 million!

Agreed i think if it was this price id sell him... i know where the Brunt of the cash could be spent  ;)
Spotted any unladylike behaviour report within:
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13209.0

Evil Genius

Quote from: longball on June 26, 2009, 10:43:20 AM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on June 26, 2009, 10:27:10 AM

Agreed i think if it was this price id sell him... i know where the Brunt of the cash could be spent  ;)
I'd be very surprised if Brunt went to Celtic. For one thing, his form at WBA in the second half of last season indicates he's good enough to play in the EPL. Second, WBA's likely asking fee (said to be c.£3.5m) is probably more affordable for a host of other clubs in England (EPL and Championship) than Celtic.

And in any case, if he were prepared to give the SPL a go, he'd be much more likely to try Rangers (imo). For not only is he a boyhood fan, but Walter Smith has made it clear he's trying to sell players (eg Ferguson), in order to raise the cash for Brunt. And that's before you get to the fact that Rangers are guaranteed CL football this season (well, a few games, anyhow!), as well as Brunt already having NI pals at Ibrox.

P.S. As an NI fan, I hope he doesn't go to either club, for whilst it hasn't done e.g. Steven Davis any harm, and Brunt seems to be a bit more level headed than eg Kyle Lafferty, nonetheless the SPL is little better than the top half of the English Championship; so he might as well stay at The Hawthorns (imo).
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

lfdown2

why the fcuk are celtic looking at these sub-standard championship and SPL players, we have seen what road that leads us down last season, how about the scouts earn their wage and find us another Petrov/Larrsson/Lubo as lynchbhoy(i think) said we have to look to eastern europe and scandanavia to pick up decent players that are looking for a stepping stone into the EPL not this drivel please not continue Strachan's mistakes

Evil Genius

Quote from: lfdown2 on June 26, 2009, 02:17:31 PM
why the fcuk are celtic looking at these sub-standard championship and SPL players, we have seen what road that leads us down last season,
Because with the financial circumstances which currently govern Scottish football, that is the market Celtic are dealing in (Rangers as well).

how about the scouts earn their wage and find us another Petrov/Larrsson/Lubo as lynchbhoy(i think) said we have to look to eastern europe and scandanavia to pick up decent players that are looking for a stepping stone into the EPL
Because not only are scouts from the EPL (and La Liga/Serie A/Bundesliga) clubs themselves scouring those markets for the next Henrik Larsson etc, but scouts from comparable leagues to the SPL (e.g. Belgium or Portugal etc) are also in there.
Plus not only have those Eastern European or Scandinavian clubs themselves "wised up" to clubs like Celtic coming in and buying up their hidden jewels on the cheap, but those same clubs can often now offer wages* and prospects which are just as lucrative as those to be found at Parkhead or Ibrox.

* - People often overlook the fact that with the top UK Tax Rate having gone up to 50% (it's 27% in Spain, for instance), plus Sterling having lost 25% against the Euro over the last 18 months, it now costs UK clubs a hell of a sight more to sign/pay players from Europe than it did a season or two ago - just at the time when they have less  money to spend than before.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Main Street

why the fcuk are celtic looking at these sub-standard championship and SPL players, we have seen what road that leads us down last season, how about the scouts earn their wage and find us another Petrov/Larrsson/Lubo as lynchbhoy(i think) said we have to look to eastern europe and scandanavia to pick up decent players that are looking for a stepping stone into the EPL not this drivel please not continue Strachan's mistakes
I doubt if Mobray is looking at sub standard championship players.
But even a decent championship player is still a gamble to meet the required standard at Celtic.

Afaia, Venglos knew about Lubo and Wim knew about Larsson.
No Celtic scout was involved.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Taken from another site. Feck things going slow atm.

CELTIC are heading to Australia next week in search of the next Scott McDonald.

The Parkhead club are to begin their pre-season work with a match against Brisbane Roar on Sunday, July 12, but their stay Down Under will also lay the foundations for a widereaching coaching network.

However, their trip is not one-sided. Although the match against Roar will allow Celtic's Australian fans a rare opportunity to see the players close up the club are determined to make a significant mark in the community.

That's why new manager Tony Mowbray will be taking two of his best coaches with him to stage a series of free coaching sessions.

The game's governing body in Brisbane are backing the initiative and the soccer schools will be open to all kids interested in taking part.

Children of any ability can join in and benefit from working with Celtic's coaches but within the courses the Glasgow giants will also run a Talent ID programme.

Benefits And it's through this scheme Celtic hope to unearth players of the future, perhaps even some good enough and also determined enough to follow in the footsteps of Aussie hero McDonald.

The idea is this won't be a one-off set up just because of the game against Roar in the Suncorp Stadium and moves will be made to make sure Celtic continue liaising with local coaches and clubs long after they've gone.

Celtic have long been aware of the potential benefits in reaching out to coaches and clubs in other countries and are currently working on a tie-up with Ujpest Doza in Hungary where they are close to agreeing that reserve team coach Willie McStay will become the key man on that front.

Meanwhile Gers due to financial restraints and the fact no-one likes them(and they do care), will limit themselves to the annual bigot fest held in Belfast, where they hope to uncover another flutist.(Romanians need not apply).

Tbc....

T Fearon

According to Daily Record a Celtic delegation is either in or on its way to Paris to try and persuade Fortune to forsake the glamour of Hull City for Celtic Park ::)

What is the world coming to ffs? >:(

lynchbhoy

Quote from: T Fearon on June 30, 2009, 02:56:21 PM
According to Daily Record a Celtic delegation is either in or on its way to Paris to try and persuade Fortune to forsake the glamour of Hull City for Celtic Park ::)

What is the world coming to ffs? >:(
disaster
I only saw a bit of him but he reminded me on henri camara !

looking for the new scott mcdonald ?
yeah - australia is a hotbed of talent.
How about they try brazil, argentina or most places in eastern feckin euroe where its wall to wall football talent !
::)

no Celtic will buy some canadian international, second rate english championship player and some scottish 'international' !
FFS

dont the hus have some 'link' with aussie team 'sydney spirit' or something like that ?
its done them a whole pile of good alright !
::)

Main Street

At least they are not going to China  to unearth the new Du Wei.