?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

tonto1888

Quote from: T Fearon on October 20, 2016, 06:06:05 AM
I do sense rumblings on the Celtic discussion  boards,on which there are infinitely greater numbers of more discerning Celtic supporters,than is the case on this one.

Borussia Moenchengladbach,as was stated by the Irish News' betting tipster,were missing a number of key players,had a lousy away record and were "there for the taking" last night.That makes the abject failure even more glaring.After the lucky but nonetheless encouraging draw against Man City,Celtic should have had a whirlwind start,but instead they were cautious,subdued and their opponents were allowed to quickly take the initiative and control the game.

At this stage I am tired of reading eulogies about "Celtic Park on Champions league nights and great atmospheres etc" I would much prefer to read about Celtic successes on the actual pitch,not in the stands.

Last night was failure of epic proportions.

I actually agree with you on this Tiny, aprt from the bit about the Irish news as they know next to nothing. Moenchengladbach are a good team even with some missing players. TRegardless, we looked flat last night. The performance was as disappointing as the result

Hectic

Couple of bad mistakes by Toure but did not hide the fact that we were second best all over the park.  Reality check after the City game that we are still some way off at this level. 

The biggest thing about playing in Europe is maintaining possession of the ball - our midfield does not have the quality or confidence to control the football in the key area at this level and as such is the area of the park that needs addressing with up to 3 central players required - and that is not news after last night either - it has been our biggest weakness all season even when we have been winning games. 

I have not saw the second goal again but from memory Toure gave the ball away badly but I wonder were the midfielders giving him an option of was he forced to hold on to it too long because people were not showing for him which was the case on a number of occasions last night.

But Rome was not built in a day and last night is more in line with what I feared when the group was drawn as opposed to the optimism I felt off the back of the last game.

Hectic

Quote from: Main Street on October 20, 2016, 12:11:57 AM
The real sad question is when exactly did Nordies totally lose their cop on, where discussing issues with a troll is a normal everyday thing.
Maybe a troll is regarded in a good light in northern society, where social banality has even lower layers.
´For fun and excitement above and beyond the norm, we do like to discuss issues with a troll, we just imagine the troll to be sorta human and ignore all evidence to the contrary.'

Speaking of Trolls!!

Keyser soze

Quote from: Hectic on October 20, 2016, 09:12:48 AM
Couple of bad mistakes by Toure but did not hide the fact that we were second best all over the park.  Reality check after the City game that we are still some way off at this level. 

The biggest thing about playing in Europe is maintaining possession of the ball - our midfield does not have the quality or confidence to control the football in the key area at this level and as such is the area of the park that needs addressing with up to 3 central players required - and that is not news after last night either - it has been our biggest weakness all season even when we have been winning games. 

I have not saw the second goal again but from memory Toure gave the ball away badly but I wonder were the midfielders giving him an option of was he forced to hold on to it too long because people were not showing for him which was the case on a number of occasions last night.

But Rome was not built in a day and last night is more in line with what I feared when the group was drawn as opposed to the optimism I felt off the back of the last game.

Nor will they ever have as Celtic do not have anywhere near the financial clout to afford to recruit such players so how you expect to address this issue is beyond me.

Applesisapples

Quote from: T Fearon on October 20, 2016, 06:06:05 AM
I do sense rumblings on the Celtic discussion  boards,on which there are infinitely greater numbers of more discerning Celtic supporters,than is the case on this one.

Borussia Moenchengladbach,as was stated by the Irish News' betting tipster,were missing a number of key players,had a lousy away record and were "there for the taking" last night.That makes the abject failure even more glaring.After the lucky but nonetheless encouraging draw against Man City,Celtic should have had a whirlwind start,but instead they were cautious,subdued and their opponents were allowed to quickly take the initiative and control the game.

At this stage I am tired of reading eulogies about "Celtic Park on Champions league nights and great atmospheres etc" I would much prefer to read about Celtic successes on the actual pitch,not in the stands.

Last night was failure of epic proportions.
Usual moronic bullshit from a prawn sandwich muncher.

clarshack

Quote from: ashman on October 19, 2016, 10:15:28 PM
BMG could well finish 2nd .

I agree. thought m'gladbach were excellent last nite and they should have beaten barcelona in the last game too. only mystery is why they were so awful against city in the first game.

after the next round of games I would expect m'gladbach to be on 6 pts and city to still be on 4 pts. if m'gladbach beat city at home then they're through.

Hectic

Quote from: Keyser soze on October 20, 2016, 09:53:15 AM
Quote from: Hectic on October 20, 2016, 09:12:48 AM

Nor will they ever have as Celtic do not have anywhere near the financial clout to afford to recruit such players so how you expect to address this issue is beyond me.

I am not saying we just go out and get these players and everything is solved but we did have Wanyama, Ledley and even Commons who did not hide on these occasions - yes we will never be able to compete for the finished article top players in any area of the pitch but I think we are not in bad shape in terms of defenders, wide midfielders and forwards so we should at least be able to focus our time and resources on this key area of the pitch.

Hectic

Quote from: Main Street on October 19, 2016, 07:12:58 PM

I did laugh when I saw that given a few of us were not attempting to spell their name and instead referring to them as the Germans over the past week or so.

T Fearon

Another thing.Why do big name players let Rodgers down on big occasions? Gerrard against Chelsea in '14 and Toure last night? It cannot be just coincidence? Is he heaping tòo much responsibility on their shoulders?

Thy Kingdom Come

Quote from: T Fearon on October 20, 2016, 11:22:36 AM
Another thing.Why do big name players let Rodgers down on big occasions? Gerrard against Chelsea in '14 and Toure last night? It cannot be just coincidence? Is he heaping tòo much responsibility on their shoulders?

Gerrard 34 Toure 35

tonto1888

Quote from: T Fearon on October 20, 2016, 11:22:36 AM

serious? A slip was caused by pressure??
Just stop trying to find things that arent there to have a go at Rodgers for

snoopdog

What would Rodgers goal and objective been at start of season?  Win title and get into group stages of the CL. Inot a group with Barca and City. Never going to get out of that. He has already achieved his goals. He may add a treble. Who knows.  Tony F won't be happy but Rodgers is there longterm

Main Street

Quote from: Hectic on October 20, 2016, 09:13:13 AM
The real sad question is when exactly did Nordies totally lose their cop on, where discussing issues with a troll is a normal everyday thing.
Maybe a troll is regarded in a good light in northern society, where social banality has even lower layers.
´For fun and excitement above and beyond the norm, we do like to discuss issues with a troll, we just imagine the troll to be sorta human and ignore all evidence to the contrary.'

Speaking of Trolls!!
Yes speaking  of trolls,
if you haven't copped on to the most predictable, repetitive and self infatuated musings of this threads's resident troll,  then you be a troll bitch or a candidate for one :)

Celtic were outplayed in every department last night by a BL team who were excellent,  who tactically had Celtic and Rodgers sussed.  Celtic were made look poor  in comparison, though I'd excuse the goalie.
No big deal here, as in total failure, throw the baby out. Whoever was overly optimistic beforehand was living a fantasy, there was a chance, a small chance where everything might just go right on the night, but even the german fans dominated the noise all night.
Rodgers and the team can learn lessons.
This has happened before, the defeat to Bordeaux comes to mind and that wasn't the end of the world.

Though there's a huge extra obstacle going against Celtic at this level, that's the escalating increase in the income gap in the last 4 years between Celtic and their opponents.
Since Mon's time, has seen a reduced quality in the team  with every season's entry into europe. However, in the last 4 or 5 years  there has been a rapid decay in the squad's quality, in line with that growing gap.
Are Celtic immediately  expected to overcome that gap consistantly against opponents such as BMG?
by what I wonder ? waving a magic wand which transforms the imperfect into the perfect.

tonto1888

Quote from: Main Street on October 20, 2016, 01:10:35 PM
Quote from: Hectic on October 20, 2016, 09:13:13 AM

Speaking of Trolls!!
Yes speaking  of trolls,
if you haven't copped on to the most predictable, repetitive and self infatuated musings of this threads's resident troll,  then you be a troll bitch or a candidate for one :)

Celtic were outplayed in every department last night by a BL team who were excellent,  who tactically had Celtic and Rodgers sussed.  Celtic were made look poor  in comparison, though I'd excuse the goalie.
No big deal here, as in total failure, throw the baby out. Whoever was overly optimistic beforehand was living a fantasy, there was a chance, a small chance where everything might just go right on the night, but even the german fans dominated the noise all night.
Rodgers and the team can learn lessons.
This has happened before, the defeat to Bordeaux comes to mind and that wasn't the end of the world.

Though there's a huge extra obstacle going against Celtic at this level, that's the escalating increase in the income gap in the last 4 years between Celtic and their opponents.
Since Mon's time, has seen a reduced quality in the team  with every season's entry into europe. However, in the last 4 or 5 years  there has been a rapid decay in the squad's quality, in line with that growing gap.
Are Celtic immediately  expected to overcome that gap consistantly against opponents such as BMG?
by what I wonder ? waving a magic wand which transforms the imperfect into the perfect.

I agree with this. I do think we are on the right track though and making progress

Aaron Boone

Who did Celtic beat in the 1967 European Cup semi?