Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

T Fearon

I have no doubt that had Ambrose not been selected and Celtic had suffered a two or three goal defeat, Neil would have been facing criticism for not selecting an "in form African Nations Cup winner whose confidence is sky high"

While disappointed by Tuesday night I am more than happy with an excellent overall campaign back in the Champions League for the first time in 4 years.

Main Street

I'd beg to differ on that. I'd say 99.9% of fans were shocked or surprised by Ambrose's inclusion. It was already generally accepted that he wouldn't play. Ambrose exhibited an admirable quality to get back and play.
I wouldn't impart any blame on Lennon for including him but maybe he could have had a plan B on the bench or taken him off some time.

T Fearon

I too was surprised that he started.As for having a Plan B,Ambrose never put a foot wrong (the missed goal opportunity doesnt really count as defenders normally fluff opportunities like that) between the first and third goal,which was nearly the entire match really,and the implementation of a PlanB would have been too late.

Lessons to be learned but no need to be too harsh.The Champions League campaign has exceeded the expectations of the most die hard Celtic fan,and the priority must be to get back to the group stages next season.

stew

Quote from: T Fearon on February 15, 2013, 12:10:53 AM
I too was surprised that he started.As for having a Plan B,Ambrose never put a foot wrong (the missed goal opportunity doesnt really count as defenders normally fluff opportunities like that) between the first and third goal,which was nearly the entire match really,and the implementation of a PlanB would have been too late.

Lessons to be learned but no need to be too harsh.The Champions League campaign has exceeded the expectations of the most die hard Celtic fan,and the priority must be to get back to the group stages next season.

I'd say the priority should be to focus on winning for the rest of the season and making sure Hooper and Victor re-up.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

T Fearon

Seriously doubt whether either will be with Celtic next season, but they will command big transfer fees in the summer and this added to the money made from this year's Champions League campaign, should allow for further strenghtening of the team and overall squad for next season.

Main Street

I like the look of Ambrose and Wilson at CH.
Considering all those who have come and gone in the last few years, this partnership looks gold standard in comparison.
It's an ideal situation for Lennon to have, in order to improve upon.
Nothing more difficult that to try and fix a dysfunctional CH partnership, mixing and matching different possibilities.
Izaguirre is showing belated signs of the poty form of last season. Lustig is a gem and Mathews - hard to credit he's only 21.
For Celtic to buy 5 players of that quality, it would cost a tidy fortune.

I don't know about Forrest, maybe I haven't seen him on a good day, but I have my doubts.
Commons, I just love the style of that player, would have been the icing on his cake for him to have dispatched that bicycle kick into the net, past a static Buffon.

T Fearon

Commons and Wanyama should rake in close to £20m.Forrest has already proved himself to be far better than Mc Geady,he has pace to burn,scores regularly and can cross the ball.Sadly due to injury he hasn't played too much Champions League football this season and can be excused for a quiet performance the other night.

Main Street

I can't recall anything of note from Forrest in any of the CL games.
McGeady at 21 was lording it Celtic Park against Spartak and later against Milan.

Maybe water will turn into wine, I don't rule it out for Forrest, but you'd think he would be able to get into that crappy Scotland team if he had even 20% of what McGeady had.

T Fearon

Well I'd sooner have him in the team than Mc Geady,even today.As far as I'm aware that was his first CL start.He has already been capped by Scotland and is a tremendous prospect who has already had some great games domestically.

Jell 0 Biafra

Penalty can only be given when the ball is in play.  See Law 12:

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/footballdevelopment/refereeing/81/42/36/lawsofthegame_2012_e.pdf

So perhaps Celtic might argue that some more cards should have been dished out, but there weren't any legit penalty claims.

Main Street

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on February 16, 2013, 02:10:47 AM
Penalty can only be given when the ball is in play.  See Law 12:

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/footballdevelopment/refereeing/81/42/36/lawsofthegame_2012_e.pdf

So perhaps Celtic might argue that some more cards should have been dished out, but there weren't any legit penalty claims.
The ball is in play once the ref gives the go ahead for the corner kick to be taken.
It's quite clear that both Hooper and Brown were bundled over, both when the ball was in play and not in play.
Both players were 'attacked' after the ref give the signal for the corner kick and when the ball was sailing into the box.

T Fearon

DVD on it's way to UEFA courtesy of Neil Lennon highlighting the foul play of Juventus defenders at corner kicks.Hopefully the Spanish referee,the GAA's equivalent of Martin Sludden,will not feature in Champions League again.

T Fearon

Looks like Jackie Mc Namara's Dundee Utd copped a backlash today.

Main Street

I see Lennon let Forrest on the pitch after the game was made safe, @6-1.
Best goal of the lot was Dundee U's second, Russell left 3 or 4 Celtic players on their backside before nutmegging Forster.
There was an atrocious referrering decision to give Dundee U a penalty, for a perfectly clean Mathews tackle in the box. Lennon should send a dvd of that one to the SFA and ask them for clarification on what exactly constitutes a foul in the box.:)
Forster saved the penalty.

T Fearon

Forrest made the sixth goal for Stokes.At least the punters got a few goals today.Was there on the Sunday immediately after Barcelona,for St Johnstone game.As flat as a pancake.