?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

clarshack

Quote from: Declan on December 06, 2012, 07:28:52 AM
Good luck to Celtic but God they are a re poor team - particularly in the first half. Their inability to string a couple of passes together and their two centre halves are painfully slow make it nerve wrecking to say the least. Utd in last 16 now would be the draw

i thought spartak played quite well in the first half and would have caused a lot of teams bother. they've just recently changed their manager so it's no surprise the spartak players were vastly improved from previous games.

it's a fantastic achievement to make the last 16. make no mistake about it - this was a difficult group and when you consider chelsea and man city failed to quailfy out of difficult groups, this achievement is put into perspective.

there's no doubt that all of the group winners will be looking celtic in the last 16, but celtic are in bonus territory now and have nothing to lose.

lfdown2

Quote from: onefaircounty on December 06, 2012, 08:59:28 AM
Quote from: charlieTully on December 06, 2012, 08:44:56 AM
Quote from: Declan on December 06, 2012, 07:28:52 AM
Good luck to Celtic but God they are a re poor team - particularly in the first half. Their inability to string a couple of passes together and their two centre halves are painfully slow make it nerve wrecking to say the least. Utd in last 16 now would be the draw

they are so poor, they only managed 10 points in a group containing barca, benfica and spartak, they are so poor they managed to do what chelsea and man city couldnt, on a shoe string budget, they are so poor they set a record for the most points ever in the group stages by a Scottish club. Declan we dont need your half hearted congratulations, we will do just fine without you. if you were not entertained dont watch again. will anyone give a f**k...no.

Bit touchy?

You can't seriously argue that they are a great side?

They got through, mostly, on packing the defence and striking at set-pieces. A dive for a penalty got them through.

Great to see, but we don't have to bow at their altar and say they were brilliant. They battled their way through, and fair play for them.

It's not about being entertaining, it's about winning.

To be fair I'd say Charlie is just sick of the usual "ah sure they were lucky, they're a bad side" craic, beat spartak in Russia - sure its only Spartak, beat Barca at home - sure look at all the possession they had, get through to the last 16 - sure they'll get no further, it can get a bit tiresome when you support the team, why people feel the need to post the likes on the thread is beyond me.

Croí na hÉireann

Only saw the first half but Wilson was doing my head in, as Dec said, painfully slow and the Nigerian was running rings around him. I'd be pretty annoyed if that was given as a penalty against me. Great to see Celtic in the last 16, they will give anyone a game now provided they don't lose any key players.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Main Street

Spartak were also the dirtiest team I have seen at Celtic Park in the CL. I thought their discipline was shocking and in the end that's what lost the game for them.
No wonder they have performance 'issues' in the Russian league, with that type of stuff incorporated into their game.

Main Street

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on December 06, 2012, 09:55:23 AM
I'd be pretty annoyed if that was given as a penalty against me.
That annoyance would pale into comparison,  when your apoplectic coach would have you executed if you defended like that.

deiseach

Quote from: Main Street on December 06, 2012, 09:56:40 AM
Spartak were also the dirtiest team I have seen at Celtic Park in the CL. I thought their discipline was shocking and in the end that's what lost the game for them.
No wonder they have performance 'issues' in the Russian league, with that type of stuff incorporated into their game.

Aiden McGeady certainly got into the swing of things. If it hadn't been for his teammates I'd have been wondering whether he was trying to make it easier for Celtic.

Celtic's success is a marvellous affirmation of their policy of living within their means. The contrast with certain other institutions is stark. Well done to all concerned.

seafoid

Quote from: deiseach on December 06, 2012, 10:01:48 AM
Quote from: Main Street on December 06, 2012, 09:56:40 AM

Aiden McGeady certainly got into the swing of things. If it hadn't been for his teammates I'd have been wondering whether he was trying to make it easier for Celtic.

Celtic's success is a marvellous affirmation of their policy of living within their means. The contrast with certain other institutions is stark. Well done to all concerned.
I wonder if certain other teams will manage to ignore financial reality indefinitely

Declan

QuoteTo be fair I'd say Charlie is just sick of the usual "ah sure they were lucky, they're a bad side" craic, beat spartak in Russia - sure its only Spartak, beat Barca at home - sure look at all the possession they had, get through to the last 16 - sure they'll get no further, it can get a bit tiresome when you support the team, why people feel the need to post the likes on the thread is beyond me.

So I'm not allowed comment unless it's to say well done lads ye were great??
As I said good luck to them but I do think they are a poor team - that's not taking away from their achievement. I'm used to supporting teams who aren't that good but who give me the occasional lift so I think I fit in quite well in this thread ;)   

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Main Street on December 06, 2012, 10:00:11 AM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on December 06, 2012, 09:55:23 AM
I'd be pretty annoyed if that was given as a penalty against me.
That annoyance would pale into comparison,  when your apoplectic coach would have you executed if you defended like that.

Only going on the gif but that's what annoys me about soccer these days.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

T Fearon

Those alluding to the soft penalty last night might recall the gift Juventus penalty awarded against Celtic late on in the group stage match in Turin in 2001,which ultimately cost the bhoys qualification for the knockout stages that year. What goes around comes round.

Main Street

Quote from: Declan on December 06, 2012, 11:49:12 AM
QuoteTo be fair I'd say Charlie is just sick of the usual "ah sure they were lucky, they're a bad side" craic, beat spartak in Russia - sure its only Spartak, beat Barca at home - sure look at all the possession they had, get through to the last 16 - sure they'll get no further, it can get a bit tiresome when you support the team, why people feel the need to post the likes on the thread is beyond me.

So I'm not allowed comment unless it's to say well done lads ye were great??
As I said good luck to them but I do think they are a poor team - that's not taking away from their achievement. I'm used to supporting teams who aren't that good but who give me the occasional lift so I think I fit in quite well in this thread ;)
Your comment was picked upon, probably because it's evident beyond doubt , over the course of this years remarkable CL campaign (qual & group) that Celtic have been a good team and have performed well.
Last night in the first half, they were poor by their own standards. They have played better (much better in periods), in the CL this year.
Informed comments are always welcome ;D

camanchero

think people are getting carried away a little. IMO Celtic playing within themselves!
Celtic didnt retain posession in the first half as they were hoofng it forward aimlessly in an attempt to get th eball up quickly or just to clear their lines.
Spartak are a good team - have played badly this season and if they hadnt have had a man sent off in their home game - well imo the fair result would have been a draw. But Celtic and other teams will take any good luck going as plenty will often go the other way (3-2 lyon a few years ago for a bobo handball that never was hand to ball as an example).
Benfica are a good side. Barca are a good side. Only at times when Celtic took their heads out of their erses they spread the ball wide and attacked quickly to cause these teams trouble.
imo Celtic played well within themselves v benfica both times (though it was early season for the first CL game and Celts hadnt hit any kind of form). Last night in the first half Samaras tried hard but nothing went for him and was poor. Second half it started to go for him and its the new Samaras as years bfore his head would go down and he'd give up.
think the Celtic defenders are almost afraid to put in a hard tackle in case they give away a free kick and concede a yelow card or a penalty etc. Can do way better. Celtic dont help their cause in an attacking sense by having two def central midfielders and playing one lone man up front.
thats the problem domestically- the formation lacks creativity.
I thought at the start of the CL that Celtic would do well to get a few points , but they have happily proven me wrong. Dont expect to get any further than last 16, but if they do then great. I hope to be at the next CL home game. Celtic still a team in progress. Lennon a manager in progress. Great results, great CL campagin and glad to see that they can compete - and will do beter with a bit more confidence and composure. Stokes and Forrest would help even more!
If they can avoid selling some of these stars then this side could become good and compete even more in CL.imo.

Main Street

Quote from: T Fearon on December 06, 2012, 12:41:30 PM
Those alluding to the soft penalty last night might recall the gift Juventus penalty awarded against Celtic late on in the group stage match in Turin in 2001,which ultimately cost the bhoys qualification for the knockout stages that year. What goes around comes round.
There has been deprivation galore. The  penalty in the last minutes away to Lyon also comes to mind, just because Bobo was swatting a fly when the ball struck his unwitting hand.

edit -I see this point has already been made by comrade Camanchero.

T Fearon

Doubt if the likes of Forster, Wanyama, Forrest and Hooper will be at Celtic Park next season.When the big money comes sniffing Celtic can't resist (Lennon practically flew Mc Geady himself to Moscow when £10m was put on the table).

Also Lennon must be coming under the radar of English clubs and perhaps even a few European ones now as well

rodney trotter

Its a good thing Rangers aren't still in the Scottish Premier League or Celtic would be well adrift at this stage. They have been terrible after every European game dropping an awful lot of points at home. They will probaly push on now hopefully in the league and gain some form, they will be too strong come the end of the season but the league form has been very shacky.

Samaras is a real unsung here, cult figure.