Connacht senior football championship 2017

Started by macdanger2, April 06, 2017, 03:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: Duine Eile on May 14, 2017, 09:43:33 PM
Mike Meehan got injured playing for Caltra today so looks like that will keep him out of the Mayo/Sligo game. Mike Farragher played very deep for Corofin today and had a blinder, looking likely he'll be no 6 for the semi final with Bradshaw injured.

You have to feel for the lad!  :(

Duine Eile

He has absolutely rotten luck. No idea what the injury is or anything but apparently it looked serious enough whatever happened.

Mano

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 13, 2017, 10:15:07 AM
I used to believe that county boards would assist and guide struggling clubs but that does not seem to be a function they think they need to fulfil. For the first time in my memory I've seen some real assistance through the coaching and games manager and it's very encouraging. It's not all bad. Regards my club, we had a difficult year last year where survival in the SFC was achieved in such difficult circumstances it was almost miraculous. I think we will be decent this year but our underage has been less than satisfactory for a long time. It's improved but has a good way to go. We will get back to challenging for "A" titles and soon hopefully. But to go back to the politics/structures thing - you have a club win a provincial "B" championship and then next year they're graded "B" again? How does that happen?

Don't understand what you are getting at here. Its likely that they were in the wrong grade last year as they won a provincial 'B' championship. Does winning a provincial championship automatically mean that they should be in 'A' grade the following year - don't think that's how it works Seanie. The quality of an underage team can vary from year to year especially in clubs of smaller population. Many of the last years players including the best young player in Sligo are overage for minor this year.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Mano on May 16, 2017, 10:52:46 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on May 13, 2017, 10:15:07 AM
I used to believe that county boards would assist and guide struggling clubs but that does not seem to be a function they think they need to fulfil. For the first time in my memory I've seen some real assistance through the coaching and games manager and it's very encouraging. It's not all bad. Regards my club, we had a difficult year last year where survival in the SFC was achieved in such difficult circumstances it was almost miraculous. I think we will be decent this year but our underage has been less than satisfactory for a long time. It's improved but has a good way to go. We will get back to challenging for "A" titles and soon hopefully. But to go back to the politics/structures thing - you have a club win a provincial "B" championship and then next year they're graded "B" again? How does that happen?

Don't understand what you are getting at here. Its likely that they were in the wrong grade last year as they won a provincial 'B' championship. Does winning a provincial championship automatically mean that they should be in 'A' grade the following year - don't think that's how it works Seanie. The quality of an underage team can vary from year to year especially in clubs of smaller population. Many of the last years players including the best young player in Sligo are overage for minor this year.

Their results and reports I've heard suggest they're obviously in the wrong grade this year. Our minors are not bad - we were in B championship finals at minor and U-16 last year - and they gave us a serious whaling in the league.

Probably not the best example of what I'm trying to highlight though in fairness.

GalwayBayBoy

The 2017 Galway Senior Football Championship Panel has been announced

- Ruairí Lavelle (Renvyle)
- Maghnus Breathnach (An Spidéal)
- Bernard Power (Corofin)
- Gareth Bradshaw (Maigh Cuilinn)
- Luke Burke (Caltra)
- Michael Farragher (Corofin)
- Johnny Heaney (Killannin)
- Eoghan Kerin (Annaghdown)
- Declan Kyne (Clonbur)
- Gary O'Donnell (Tuam Stars)
- Liam Silke (Corofin)
- Cathal Sweeney (Killannin)
- David Wynne (Maigh Cuilinn)
- David Walsh (Killannin)
- Paul Conroy (St. James')
- Thomas Flynn (Athenry)
- Fiontán Ó Curraoin (Mícheál Breathnach)
- Ronan Steede (Corofin)
- Enda Tierney (Oughterard)
- Seán Armstrong (Salthill/Knocknacarra)
- Eamonn Brannigan (St. Michael's)
- Ian Burke (Corofin)
- Damien Comer (Annaghdown)
- Danny Cummins (Claregalway)
- Michael Daly (Mountbellew/Moylough)
- Micheál Lundy (Corofin)
- Cillian McDaid (Monivea-Abbey)
- Barry McHugh (Mountbellew/Moylough)
- Michael Meehan (Caltra)
- Gary Sice (Corofin)
- Shane Walsh (Kilkerrin/Clonberne)

Cunny Funt

This summers Connacht championship will be without one of its best forwards and footballers.

Emlyn Mulligan‏ @emlynmulligan

QuoteOnce was bad, never mind twice, but 3 times.... Someone is punishing me from up above. More cruciate's torn than trophies won in my career

Syferus

Horrible. Such a fantastic footballer too, one so few have even ever go to see outside Connacht.

He's never even kicked a ball in anger at Croke Park in his career.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on May 17, 2017, 03:39:14 PM

No surprises there given the FBD and league squads this year, only two from the U21 panel but the other likely candidates in Peter Cooke and Sean Andy O'Ceallaigh are off to the States for the Summer. Good to see McDaid in there given the rumours of Aussie Rules interest, how true that is I don't know though.

galwayman

Thought Kieran Molloy might make the cut as well.
Possibly a bit lightweight yet maybe.

Rossfan

Congrats to the Laythrum Juniors who won the Connacht Final tonight beating Rhubarbia in their own backyard.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Duine Eile

Quote from: galwayman on May 17, 2017, 07:22:03 PM
Thought Kieran Molloy might make the cut as well.
Possibly a bit lightweight yet maybe.

Off to the states as well I believe.

manfromdelmonte

- Luke Burke (Caltra)
- Declan Kyne (Clonbur)
- Liam Silke (Corofin)
- Thomas Flynn (Athenry)
- Ronan Steede (Corofin)
- Ian Burke (Corofin)
- Gary Sice (Corofin)
11 lads from clubs west of the Corrib.
that's mad

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on May 17, 2017, 10:02:14 PM

- Luke Burke (Caltra)
- Declan Kyne (Clonbur)
- Liam Silke (Corofin)
- Thomas Flynn (Athenry)
- Ronan Steede (Corofin)
- Ian Burke (Corofin)
- Gary Sice (Corofin)
11 lads from clubs west of the Corrib.
that's mad

Would have been 2 more only for Cooke and Sean Andy taking off for the US.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on May 17, 2017, 06:50:17 PM

No surprises there given the FBD and league squads this year, only two from the U21 panel but the other likely candidates in Peter Cooke and Sean Andy O'Ceallaigh are off to the States for the Summer. Good to see McDaid in there given the rumours of Aussie Rules interest, how true that is I don't know though.

From what I've read McDaid has had two trials in the last year, I don't watch AFL but I'd thought he's a bit lacking with his physical stature but someone might put me right on that.

mouview

Quote from: Maroon Manc on May 18, 2017, 10:23:46 AM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on May 17, 2017, 06:50:17 PM

From what I've read McDaid has had two trials in the last year, I don't watch AFL but I'd thought he's a bit lacking with his physical stature but someone might put me right on that.

No, he's a good big strong lad, and still physically developing. Very find of football despite winning a Minor in hurling. Missed Monivea's match at the weekend due to a finger injury, so that might curtail him for a few weeks yet.

No Eddie Hoare on panel I notice also.