Mayo manager resigns - for defo.

Started by moysider, August 27, 2018, 12:02:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tubberman

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 27, 2018, 09:54:31 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on August 27, 2018, 09:46:00 PM
Serious money been thrown on Horan now , opened at 7/2 he's gone all the way down to 11/10, just checked gone odds on now , This is a serious gamble . Somebody thinks they know something .

Horan is 47 years old with a young family. He has a decent ''real'' Job and has various media gigs to add to it. He is on a good number as Manager of the Westport Senior team that has loads of potential from a lot of work done at ground level of which he could take all the credit for should they be successful. Why would he give up most of that for a gig that has gone past it sell by date? At the moment he is remembered as the Manager that got Mayo consistently to the top table. This reputation would be lost if he returned.

Yep, that about sums it up. Wise thing for him to do would be absolutely nothing.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

BallyroanAbu

Rochford was a class act in my opinion,   utter madness that he is gone.   

Jayop

Feel a bit sorry for Rochford. I know nothing about him personally and he was always fierce guarded giving interviews but it's sad that ultimately he leaves Mayo with not even a Connacht to show for it. Without doubt the No2 team in the country for the first few years of his tenure but mistakes were made that have cost him big time now.

2 big mistakes for me were...

1) The 2016 final goalkeeping thing cost ye Sam imo.
2) Obviously not blooding through the younger players nearly enough, whether they were better than what you already had or not is irrelevant. they're the future and still need to be brought through in greater numbers than he seemed to be doing from an outside perspective.

Anyway, good luck to him in the future. The last few years have been great entertainment with him at the helm.

moysider

Serious money been thrown on Horan now , opened at 7/2 he's gone all the way down to 11/10, just checked gone odds on now , This is a serious gamble . Somebody thinks they know something .

Horan is 47 years old with a young family. He has a decent ''real'' Job and has various media gigs to add to it. He is on a good number as Manager of the Westport Senior team that has loads of potential from a lot of work done at ground level of which he could take all the credit for should they be successful. Why would he give up most of that for a gig that has gone past it sell by date? At the moment he is remembered as the Manager that got Mayo consistently to the top table. This reputation would be lost if he returned.

On the other hand Horan brought on young lads in 2011 and rescued one or two careers. I'm thinking McLoughlin and Boyle.
Of course he might have to stand down a couple of his 'kids' from the first time, but time moves on and that's what a manager has to do. I also think that there is enough there to revitalise the team, whoever takes over.
As regards his reputation, I don't think he has anything to lose. He probably had the best opportunities to seal the deal and he would not be welcomed back with open arms with everybody.

Halfquarter

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on August 27, 2018, 10:06:06 PM

Agree 100% , difficult to know why the County Board have thrown a spanner in the works, you would think that they would like to have a settled team and avoid the trauma and disruption of finding a new manager, there are no winners from this episode.

mayoman dan

Agree 100% , difficult to know why the County Board have thrown a spanner in the works, you would think that they would like to have a settled team and avoid the trauma and disruption of finding a new manager, there are no winners from this episode.
[/quote]

The new man was found weeks ago.or so the story goes

Halfquarter

Quote from: mayoman dan on August 27, 2018, 10:24:31 PM

[/quote]

Pray tell ?

Jayop

Heard a story about a huge sum of money being put up to get a man a "soft job" a house and some nice things money by a sponsor. More likely than not utter rubbish but the name of the manager was McGuiness.

(honestly believe this to be rubbish but sure you never know)

mayoman dan

[/quote]

Pray tell ?
[/quote]

Mc Guinness

moysider

Quote from: Halfquarter on August 27, 2018, 10:16:39 PM

Impossible to know what's been happening behind the scenes. I suspect the Board turned their arse on him after the defeat in Newbridge. Not making the super8 was a disaster for him. Simple as.
When the 3 coaches quit he was given a an ultimatum to have replacements in place by end of August. His picks left more than the executive a bit iffy. I didn't hear anybody think it was a good idea.
Of course he was unlucky with indiscipline and injuries during the Summer but that would not have been taken into consideration in final audit. Making the super8 was the minimum expectation whatever the circumstances and his fate was sealed that evening.

Syferus

Will they have to change the song to Jimmy's Losing Matches if he takes this lot over?

C'mon lads. Use yer heads.

macdanger2

Constructive dismissal by the sounds of it. While I was underwhelmed by the new backroom team, I still thought Rochford had done enough to deserve another year. I wish him all the best for what he did for Mayo football, 16/17 were two of the best years following the county even if we didn't land Sam

Solan (if he's interested) would be my choice now

macdanger2

Quote from: moysider on August 27, 2018, 10:46:38 PM
Quote from: Halfquarter on August 27, 2018, 10:16:39 PM

Impossible to know what's been happening behind the scenes. I suspect the Board turned their arse on him after the defeat in Newbridge. Not making the super8 was a disaster for him. Simple as.
When the 3 coaches quit he was given a an ultimatum to have replacements in place by end of August. His picks left more than the executive a bit iffy. I didn't hear anybody think it was a good idea.
Of course he was unlucky with indiscipline and injuries during the Summer but that would not have been taken into consideration in final audit. Making the super8 was the minimum expectation whatever the circumstances and his fate was sealed that evening.

That ultimatum was as good as a sacking without having the balls to do it

chrissears

Quote from: Tubberman on August 27, 2018, 10:04:07 PM

Yep, that about sums it up. Wise thing for him to do would be absolutely nothing.

Quote from: Rossfan on August 27, 2018, 09:33:14 PM
Quote from: moysider on August 27, 2018, 09:30:52 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on August 27, 2018, 09:21:05 PM
It’s a little unfair by Mayo to be hogging the limelight in the week before the All Ireland final. Get off the stage lads.

Sure this is far better entertainment altogether.
That's for sure.
Little or no interest in that Final thingy outside the 2 Counties involved.
Did not see this coming, good luck to Stephen I never thought we would get to one AI let alone two. It was never dull but sadly a few poor decisions cost him.

moysider

Quote from: mayoman dan on August 27, 2018, 10:36:16 PM

Pray tell ?
[/quote]

Mc Guinness
[/quote]

No. What would be the point? Mayo needed a McGuiness in 2011. Not now. The game has moved into the post McGuinness era already. Dublin and Tyrone play Ultra McGuinness.