Next Laois football manager

Started by SCFC, July 27, 2017, 08:22:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OTF

Quote from: Tony on July 29, 2017, 09:13:13 PM
We beat Armagh 3 times last year - Twice in the championship and once in the league. And now here they are a year later looking good for their quarter final appearance after a great performance VS a Kildare team who annihilated us earlier this year.

True..... but we wouldn't want to lose sight of the fact that we are a team in decline in both age and in terms of new talent coming through. Armagh on the other hand have a lot of young players coming through and they have Jamie Clarke back.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Don Draper

Quote from: Junior Ex Laoistalk on August 01, 2017, 10:10:16 AM
Now the strength and conditioning coach speaks out..
http://www.laoistoday.ie/2017/08/01/laois-sc-coach-says-players-management-made-laughing-stock/ ;D
f**k him, who does he think he is giving interviews? Jackie Cahill can piss off too digging up shite on us. He should be told where to go the next time he arrives on Fr Browne Avenue. That fella going on about wondering about getting back into the intercounty game, a prerequisite of getting a job as a S&C coach is proof that you can actually get a team fit. Good luck with that.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: Junior Ex Laoistalk on August 01, 2017, 10:10:16 AM
Now the strength and conditioning coach speaks out..
http://www.laoistoday.ie/2017/08/01/laois-sc-coach-says-players-management-made-laughing-stock/

Agree with the above. What basis was there for this guy been giving a platform in national papers?
You came in, got paid (probably cash), it didn't work out. Now you are threatening to never again make your expertise available to intercounty teams!
I think a Special Congress should be called immediately to pass a motion ensuring this doesn't happen!
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Junior Ex Laoistalk

I think they're all jumping on the bandwagon trying to get their names in the papers, the man should be ashamed to call himself a S&C coach looking at the fitness of our senior panel.

Unlaoised

Quote from: Junior Ex Laoistalk on August 01, 2017, 11:55:05 AM
I think they're all jumping on the bandwagon trying to get their names in the papers, the man should be ashamed to call himself a S&C coach looking at the fitness of our senior panel.

This.....I haven't said too much on the whole thing...

I got the impression that he was very easy on the players hence they all liked him and they were not as fit as they should have been.
LAOIS ABÚ

Don Draper

Spare a thought for this guy, he could lose his job because of a rumour about a few players having a pint. Give me a break.

Hes has some neck coming out in the papers, but lets not lose track of the real mudslinger here, eh Jackie?

Keyser Söze

Quote from: Don Draper on August 01, 2017, 12:11:35 PM
Spare a thought for this guy, he could lose his job because of a rumour about a few players having a pint. Give me a break.

Hes has some neck coming out in the papers, but lets not lose track of the real mudslinger here, eh Jackie?

Interesting that the Tipp boys in the National media are coming out to bat for Creedon! Cahill and Lawlor are doing a good job of ensuring that Creedon comes out of this with his hands clean.
An important selling point for the County Boards of the many other manager less counties around!
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Tony

In fairness to Creedon, if we're solely discussing the DRINKING issue, I do believe him when he says he didn't know about it. It seems to me that a LOT of people involved, if not almost ALL people involved with laois this year, INCLUDING nearly all players, did not know about it.

Do we have a DEFINITIVE story on what actually happened? There are so, so many different tales passed off as truth. I can only imagine that a very small amount of players were involved and not often (ie once or twice). It certainly doesn't sound like a "drinking culture" throughout most of the squad. I'd love to know who was drinking, how regularly etc. They've no business being in a Laois jersey if it was prolonged. Give your place to someone who wants it more than you, who deserves it more than you.

Give and Go

County Board meetings are strange places. Its too easy make an unsubstantiated statement about players / management and walk away after destroying reputations. It shouldn't be allowed happen like that.

A couple of things strike me in these situations

The first criticism that is usually heard after a loss is .... they weren't fit. Usually based on little evidence, usually an opinion not a fact. To make a determination on fitness one would need to see fitness test results and training data.

Players on teams coached by Creedon seem to rate him highly. I am not equating like him with rating him. They rate him.

Many of the panel have been competing on the inter county scene for quite a long time now and perhaps that extra couple of percent in performance levels needed to be competitive isn't there any longer.

The panel is not as strong as in previous years and it is a time of transition.

Expectations of supporters are unrealistic.

No reason to not support the players or management next year; anyone playing for the county deserves respect and not these deplorable headlines.

I know one top inter county footballer, in another county, who quit because of the vile abuse he suffered by anonymous posters on forums. Comments should never be abusive or personal of players or managers.

It isn't all about the manager. All partners in a county - the County Executive, clubs, players, supporters are culpable for the environment around playing for a county. It can be toxic or supportive.

Leadership from the top is crucial in setting a county on the right trajectory.

It would be great to see a Laois man take the reins; the only way to improve coaching in the county is to give opportunities to local coaches / managers.

seafoid

Is there nobody in Laois with a bit of money to help the footballers ?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Don Draper

Quote from: Give and Go on August 01, 2017, 07:11:53 PM

The first criticism that is usually heard after a loss is .... they weren't fit. Usually based on little evidence, usually an opinion not a fact. To make a determination on fitness one would need to see fitness test results and training data.

They werent fit.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

BallyroanAbu

Peter Creedon and his backroom staff did not get reappointment because they were dreadful.  All this "spinning" shows to me that he is a clever fellow, however as a coach he was dreadful.  Any other counties S&C coach come out like this,  he should be ashamed of himself as Laois were in poor condition this year.  He was dreadful.   It's time we ignore the Newspapers and have a look at whats actually going on, fact or fiction.  As I have said before this strategic review is a waste of paper as there are too many Laois men involved with vested interests.

High Fielder if it's so easy coach defense why are more not doing it, your talking only 2-3 counties doing it properly.    I do think it can be coached myself but why are more not doing it and I don't think they are all stupid.

Just a thought is it possible that the reason so many of the Laois players liked the setup was the fact it was too cosy, a few could have been livened up.  It just seemed too happy for a ship that was sinking. 

Joeythelips

Quote from: Give and Go on August 01, 2017, 07:11:53 PM
County Board meetings are strange places. Its too easy make an unsubstantiated statement about players / management and walk away after destroying reputations. It shouldn't be allowed happen like that.

A couple of things strike me in these situations

Players on teams coached by Creedon seem to rate him highly. I am not equating like him with rating him. They rate him.

Many of the panel have been competing on the inter county scene for quite a long time now and perhaps that extra couple of percent in performance levels needed to be competitive isn't there any longer.

The panel is not as strong as in previous years and it is a time of transition.

Expectations of supporters are unrealistic.

No reason to not support the players or management next year; anyone playing for the county deserves respect and not these deplorable headlines.

I know one top inter county footballer, in another county, who quit because of the vile abuse he suffered by anonymous posters on forums. Comments should never be abusive or personal of players or managers.

It isn't all about the manager. All partners in a county - the County Executive, clubs, players, supporters are culpable for the environment around playing for a county. It can be toxic or supportive.

Leadership from the top is crucial in setting a county on the right trajectory.

It would be great to see a Laois man take the reins; the only way to improve coaching in the county is to give opportunities to local coaches / managers.

Good post. I know the reports going around about players drinking and the like is what makes headlines but I think it is fair to say that most people don't judge the management on this despite whatever is said at county board meetings.

Peter Creedon I'm sure worked very hard and is very well respected judging by players comments (especially senior players like JOL and Munnelly), but as with any management team in any sport they are judged on performances and results.

Fair enough he only had one season and it can be argued that the standard of football in the county is very low and he does not have a big pool of top class footballers to form a really competitive panel who push each other to be successful, but his job is to manage the resources at his disposal and going on what we saw this year he could not get the best out of the players at his disposal.

One main complaint among supporters that kept cropping up was fitness levels. I have not seen Laois play in the flesh this year and have only watched highlights of games so cannot judge, but I have spoken to people and read a lot of comments which indicate that fitness was a big issue, I spoke to someone who was at the Kildare game who said they players struggling fitness wise after 20 mins. Again this is second hand information but the fact that this complaint arises a lot would suggest it is an issue. You are right it would be nice to see some data regarding it but people are entitled to judge with their eyes.